Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching from '13 SCrew EB to '17 SCrew EB

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 173 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Switching from '13 SCrew EB to '17 SCrew EB

Hi All,

I've posted a few times here on threads but haven't shared my recent experience in switching from a 2013 to 2017.

Last fall I picked up a pre-owned 2013 FX4 3.5L EB. The truck was awesome. Great ride, handling, good amount of features, etc. Towing power was really nice. That said, I had thing nagging feeling that I was sitting on a future rust bucket. I realize that's a bit of an extreme statement but I've seen so many of these steel body trucks with rusted out rockers, beds, etc.

Fast forward to May of this year. I received one of those marketing letters saying "we want to buy your truck for more than market trade value" blah blah blah. So I entertained myself by checking in on the deal only to find the dealer that sent it was offering about $3k less than what I wanted. Expected.

So, rather than give up I started shopping around and lone behold I found a dealer that gave mea a great deal on my '13 on a '17. I didn't look back.

This is my first brand new car (I've had 15+ cars in my short life - only in my 30s) so it was a pretty exciting day driving off the lot. I would say that all of the things I really like about the '13 are even better with the '17. Sounds obvious but it's different when you actually experience it.

2017 F150 XLT w/ FX4, Short Bed, 302a, Ignot Silver. General observations:

Interior:
-Dash, trim, etc. is night and day.
-Soft steering wheel
-Leather trimmed center console storage compartment lid
-New dash vents
-Sync 3
-Better layout near shifter - nice place to store my phone
-Plenty of power outlets
-Even the foot rest for my left foot is better!

Overall impressions of the interior is that it's a much better setup. Some of it was left alone but the key changes they made, to me, were the right changes.

The ride quality is amazing. Hand over fist better than the '13. I've had cars (domestic and foreign, Fords to BMWs to VWs), SUVs (Tahoes to Grand Cherokees, etc.) and I have to admit, this is the nicest riding vehicle I've owned. Handling is great with the adaptive power steering. Freeway noise is minimal. Doors sound like they should when they're shut...solid! No rattles, squeaks, etc. A+. Auto start/ stop is even OK. Not sure why so many hate it.

Exterior:
-Updated grill and headlights look great. Aggressive but refined.
-Rear tailgate with lock looks better. Again, refined/ tailored but still aggressive enough to be an F150.
-Wheels are OK...they could up their game on those.
-Towing power will be great - I didn't get max tow but still...it's plenty for my ~30ft travel trailer. Waiting to hit 1000 miles to hook up the trailer and see how it goes.
-Aluminum body! Looking forward to a much less chance of having to deal with rust in the future. I'm not one to keep cars for that long but perhaps this will be the first car I drive until it literally falls apart.

These things are certainly not inexpensive but I guess you pay for what you get. A lot of options and capability for the price.

Anyway. Cheers. Look forward to reporting back once I put on a few more miles.

By the way...I NEVER review anything so apologize that this one sucks. I'm clearly an amateur review writer...
The following 2 users liked this post by Stil:
Bigcat1185 (06-02-2017), robry (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 02:32 PM

Received 119 Likes on 110 Posts

way better review then my "f@#k yea it is nice." i feel ya on the excitement of a brand new car/truck. my 14 was my first ever new truck. the 17 had me in shock for a solid week. even my wife was like "u ok?" when we went to the grocery store after getting it. did better today at the grocery store. actually was looking at food and liquor instead of in a daze.
The following users liked this post:
robry (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by dlbb
way better review then my "f@#k yea it is nice." i feel ya on the excitement of a brand new car/truck. my 14 was my first ever new truck. the 17 had me in shock for a solid week. even my wife was like "u ok?" when we went to the grocery store after getting it. did better today at the grocery store. actually was looking at food and liquor instead of in a daze.
haha. I hear ya...I'm always happy to run errands now. In fact, I take the long way to get coffee in the mornings now.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 119 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Stil
haha. I hear ya...I'm always happy to run errands now. In fact, I take the long way to get coffee in the mornings now.
lol a ride with my buddy to take his dog for training, and a zoo trip the first weekend 475 miles or so. about 500 miles to get dirty last sat alone. and will hit 1k on the way to the so cal meet and greet. my normal driving the last 3 years is about 15-50 miles a week. family trips a few times a year to Vegas ect. i'm sure i will calm down soon. lol today makes 14 days owning it
Old 06-02-2017, 03:34 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,391 Posts

What a great feeling to have. Congrats and enjoy the heck out of your new truck and may you take the long way home for years to come.

Will look forward to your updates.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:47 PM
I like to eat.

Received 470 Likes on 325 Posts

I'm down for a Vegas meet and greet
Old 06-02-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts

Congrats! Glad to hear how happy you are with the upgrade so far. And you did a great job with the review too!

One thing I wanted to clarify, the F150s don't yet have Adaptive Steering. I belive its only avaliable in the 2017 Super Duty trucks and the Edge. Hopefully MY 2018 will bring this option. Regardless, I agree the current gen F150 steers and handles great!
Old 06-02-2017, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by MNSportsman
Congrats! Glad to hear how happy you are with the upgrade so far. And you did a great job with the review too!

One thing I wanted to clarify, the F150s don't yet have Adaptive Steering. I belive its only avaliable in the 2017 Super Duty trucks and the Edge. Hopefully MY 2018 will bring this option. Regardless, I agree the current gen F150 steers and handles great!
Thank you!

Interesting. I thought I read the 2017 F150s had it...or maybe it was in a video on Ford's website.

I do notice though that at higher speeds the steering is tighter. Isn't that what it is?
Old 06-02-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Stil
Thank you!

Interesting. I thought I read the 2017 F150s had it...or maybe it was in a video on Ford's website.

I do notice though that at higher speeds the steering is tighter. Isn't that what it is?
You might have been thinking of the Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) system that our trucks have. This has been the standard steering system for a number of years now on the F150. Here is a link to a video that explains it.

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehic...ring-epas.html

Adaptive Steering is the next generation of it (my words). Here is a video that explains it but it again it's not yet avaliable on the F150.

Last edited by MNSportsman; 06-02-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by MNSportsman
You might have been thinking of the Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) system that our trucks have. This has been the standard steering system for a number of years now on the F150. Here is a link to a video that explains it.

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehic...ring-epas.html

Adaptive Steering is the next generation of it (my words). Here is a video that explains it but it again it's not yet avaliable on the F150.

http://youtu.be/bW_-8IgFWBw
Well I was close...just had the wrong name. Thanks for sharing.