Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapped Morimoto fogs for Ford/Putco Fogs - initial thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 11:19 AM

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Swapped Morimoto fogs for Ford/Putco Fogs - initial thoughts

I did some research on the forums about the Ford/Putco Luminix LED fogs. Didn't see too much. The little I did see was that there were more of a driving light pattern vs a true fog pattern, others said they were cheap plastic and not worth it, and others recommended all kinds of different fog light bulbs, and some people just think they look like crap.

Here is my experience. I swapped to Morimotos when i did my HID retrofit - the light color matched the HIDs well. But since the HIDs have a super sharp cutoff and so do the Morimotos, I felt a bit blind at night because no street signs would illuminate. Since there is no light bleed above the cutoff, then street signs stay dark. So for me, the idea of more of a driving light pattern out of the fogs was interesting. The HIDs have a super wide beam pattern - so turning on and off the Morimotos only added a little bit of illumination right in front of the bumper, but it wasn't enough to feel like I would miss anything without them.

From a look perspective, I have a Heise Blackout LED lightbar mounted in my front bumper opening, so the Ford/Putco tie in perfectly with that look.

Finally, in response to the comments that say they are cheap plastic, they are definitely not. The Putcos feel pretty hefty for their size and are made of aluminum. I actually weighed both the Putco and Morimoto, and the Putco weighs about 30% more than the Morimoto. The Putco weighs 14.67 ounces while the Morimoto weight 11.39 ounces. Installation was simple - no different than installing the Morimotos.

As for light output - the patterns could not be any more different. I have a picture below where you will see. I still have yet to test the Putcos at night. But will update once I do.

Weight differences:

Light difference - morimoto on right, putco on left (note truck was probably 4-5' away from the wall). You can see the morimoto is the long thin line of light where the Putco is the round light. Also the Putco appears to have a more yellowish light output - but when looking at the truck head on, the light matches that of the HIDs:

And here is the best pic I got at the time - my hand was on the left to block the sun glare coming from outside the garage. I also plan to black out my headlights, which will tie everything together even more:

So, not trying to spark a heated debate. For me, I like the look and also the light pattern of the Putco is something I need....hopefully it will perform like I am expecting when I can test at night.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:57 AM

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by thais0n
I did some research on the forums about the Ford/Putco Luminix LED fogs. Didn't see too much. The little I did see was that there were more of a driving light pattern vs a true fog pattern, others said they were cheap plastic and not worth it, and others recommended all kinds of different fog light bulbs, and some people just think they look like crap.

Here is my experience. I swapped to Morimotos when i did my HID retrofit - the light color matched the HIDs well. But since the HIDs have a super sharp cutoff and so do the Morimotos, I felt a bit blind at night because no street signs would illuminate. Since there is no light bleed above the cutoff, then street signs stay dark. So for me, the idea of more of a driving light pattern out of the fogs was interesting. The HIDs have a super wide beam pattern - so turning on and off the Morimotos only added a little bit of illumination right in front of the bumper, but it wasn't enough to feel like I would miss anything without them.

From a look perspective, I have a Heise Blackout LED lightbar mounted in my front bumper opening, so the Ford/Putco tie in perfectly with that look.

Finally, in response to the comments that say they are cheap plastic, they are definitely not. The Putcos feel pretty hefty for their size and are made of aluminum. I actually weighed both the Putco and Morimoto, and the Putco weighs about 30% more than the Morimoto. The Putco weighs 14.67 ounces while the Morimoto weight 11.39 ounces. Installation was simple - no different than installing the Morimotos.

As for light output - the patterns could not be any more different. I have a picture below where you will see. I still have yet to test the Putcos at night. But will update once I do.

Weight differences:

Light difference - morimoto on right, putco on left (note truck was probably 4-5' away from the wall). You can see the morimoto is the long thin line of light where the Putco is the round light. Also the Putco appears to have a more yellowish light output - but when looking at the truck head on, the light matches that of the HIDs:

And here is the best pic I got at the time - my hand was on the left to block the sun glare coming from outside the garage. I also plan to black out my headlights, which will tie everything together even more:

So, not trying to spark a heated debate. For me, I like the look and also the light pattern of the Putco is something I need....hopefully it will perform like I am expecting when I can test at night.
Thanks for the nice write-up. They look great on your truck. Definitely interested to hear your thoughts on light performance once you get a chance to test them out.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:52 PM

Received 102 Likes on 93 Posts

there is a thread floating around where someone compared the putco's to the oem fogs, they took a photo from their roof looking down at the output pattern, the putcos are like a cone shape

edit: i think it was here https://www.f150forum.com/f118/morim...3/#post4625931

Last edited by cwcb08; 08-29-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:42 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

They look really good!
The following users liked this post:
thais0n (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 05:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Post some good pics tonight if you can! They look great on the truck, hopefully they do the trick for you
Old 08-29-2016, 05:47 PM

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

got them on mine and they work great, they are very well made.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

After a week or 2 of driving, I would be curious to hear if they fix your issue with not seeing reflective signs.

Thanks for the writeup.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:48 PM

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

After 2 weeks of owning the truck I got these lights and love them. They're solid and heavy. Nothing flimsy about them for sure.

Swapped Morimoto fogs for Ford/Putco Fogs - initial thoughts-img_1208.jpg
Swapped Morimoto fogs for Ford/Putco Fogs - initial thoughts-f150-2.jpg

Last edited by Rey L.; 08-29-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 260 Likes on 156 Posts

I think they look quite good with the light bar OP. Only issue I would have with them is it looks as though they would cast a significant amount of glare from the pics of the beam pattern and what I saw in the other thread. I put the Morimotos on my rig and am pretty happy so far with the beam pattern and light output they have but have yet to really try them out.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went Morimoto to keep that stock like look while still matching the LED headlights. I was worried of the plastic face cracking from a rock being kicked up so I got them wrapped with paint protection film from my local paint protection shop. Probably not needed but I'm **** like that.

Quick Reply: Swapped Morimoto fogs for Ford/Putco Fogs - initial thoughts