Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in the lease

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 09:03 PM

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Stuck in the lease

Would like to turn this 15 into a 17. Dealer guy says Ford is not too keen on leases now because they just got approx. 90 thousand unit back and the higher interest now would almost double the rent. Do I smell something?
Old 02-15-2017, 11:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know what your situation is but if you want out of a lease early......swapalease.com......got rid of mine in a week,but if your upside down than I wouldn't waste your time....most people are so upside down, its cheaper to go to a dealer and lease something new.......also I just leased a 2016 and got Hella rebates on leasing a 2016 over a 2017.....I was told by the dealer that "ford" as a whole, has an overstock of 16s left over so deals on them are good.....went in for a '17 but was a big difference in the same truck payment wise so I went with the 16....if that helps
Old 02-16-2017, 12:11 AM

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

You said HELLA...must be NorCal
Old 02-16-2017, 07:01 AM

Received 104 Likes on 59 Posts

Ford doesnt want the unit back? Lmao, Ford doesnt give a **** as long as youre leasing or buying another. The dealer needs to be turned in lol.

I traded a 30 month old lease (36 term).
I can understand not being able to end your lease early, unless you are dishing out money yo pay it off, but you can always trade.
Find out your current payoff, go to carmax to get true auction value and if you value and payoff are within $2,000 the dealer CAN burrie that. They dont have to, but could.
My dealer over paid for my lease (they're not happy about it now, but oh well) by $4,000.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:48 AM

Received 2,547 Likes on 1,344 Posts

I have turned in every Ford lease I have had except one early by doing what was posted above and going in and having the dealer buy the lease out at the current purchase price versus remaining payments. At worst I have been $500 underwater, but between A-Plan and rebates it's something I can live with.

In other cases, like when I traded in my F-150 and our Explorer, I actually had equity from the lease purchase ($1000 each time!) which I was able to put towards the new vehicle.

People that lose money on leases just aren't learning how to manage them.

Now I will say, Ford is restricting their leases. Basically everything your dealer said is true. There was a huge influx of lease returns, the used car market is softening, and they don't want a repeat of 2007/2008. Ford actually has a "blend" of what percentage of their total sales for the year are allowed to be leases.

Here's an article!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimhenry.../#19a61ff6583c

But Ford restricts them using incentives. They put better incentives on loans versus leases. I have never heard of them denying a new lease, they want butts in seats. But you will find, since GM and Chrysler never learn a lesson, that lease incentives in Silverados and Rams are probably much better right now than F-150s.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:10 AM

Received 143 Likes on 84 Posts

Leased one for my work truck recently and had no issues obtaining a lease, the dealer was happy to do it.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 130 Likes on 68 Posts

Incentives are pretty weak on 17s right now. Ford Credit has also decided to focus some incentives on purchases only. There are 100 ways your story could be true, or 100 ways the dealer could be telling you a story.

Just some examples. Was your 15 a year end lease deal with incentives? Was it a low mile, higher residual? Higher mile lower residual? Did you make a down payment, or roll in accessories with your lease? Are the trucks really apples to apples? Sometimes changes are not what they seem. A pano roof actually lowers lease payments by a buck or two as an example. Do you have turn in costs that the dealer identified like tires?

I'm not going to ask you about your finances. It would be pretty hard to double the lease payment. If you really want a 17 and the deal won't work now, I would wait until December. The 18s have some new features that some people will be waiting for. There may be more 17s left on lots than there were 16s.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:02 AM
Captain Stringer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I just leased my leftover 16 at the end of last month with no issue whatsoever. I worked my dealer down to invoice on a truck they had to do a dealer trade on and then had $4,800 in lease incentives applied. That was a MUCH better deal than what you can do on a 2017 right now. 12k/36 mo lease with Tier 2 credit @ 2.25% so I don't know where they are getting "higher" interest rate from. I did attempt to lease a different F-150 that was cheaper before this one from another dealer who didn't seem to want to work with me. They did come back saying that I can only get Tier 3 credit @ 6% which shot my payment through the roof. Needless to say, I walked on that one.

I would give another dealer a try to see what they say. Maybe its a regional issue since I am in the Northeast and your in Texas???