Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Wrangler AT Adventures W Kevlar No Snowflake

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Stock Wrangler AT Adventures W Kevlar No Snowflake

My truck came with the Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar in 275 55 20. Looking at these tires online there are two varieties in this size, one which has the mountain and snowflake and one without.

The tires with the mountain snowflake are cheaper by a good bit than the ones without. The ones without say "Not Rated for Severe Snow" and are a couple pounds heavier

My assumption here is that the ones that came on the truck, ie without the snowflake are the more expensive ones online that are "not rated for severe snow". I assume this as OE tires are usually more expensive because they are a custom tire for a specific application (IE the f150). I am guessing that this is a tire that has been massaged by Ford for NVH and dynamics purposes and that the only reason it does not carry the mountain/snowflake is because they did not pay to submit it for testing.

I cannot imagine that the tread pattern/compound is any different than the non-OE version which carries the mountain/snowflake, especially considering the tire that is rated for snow is 2/3's the price of the one that is not rated for snow. My assumption is they beefed up the carcass for load/handling/NVH purposes, hence why it is heavier.

I guess the root of my question is, does anyone know how these perform in light snow / deep snow / ice?

I couldnt give a flying *&*# about the labeling on the tire so long as it performs. I make frequent trips to Mammoth, Utah and Colorado in the winter and I need a solid tire. The Canyons especially in Utah can get tricky with poor tires and Vail pass has had me white knuckled in a Quattro Audi with good tires on several occasions.

If people are not finding these capable I will either dump them before winter for some KO2's or grab a another set of wheels w/ studless snows.

TIA for any input/experience
Old 09-03-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 256 Likes on 146 Posts

Well I think only the LT sizes are M+S rated. I don't see where you can get an LT275/55R20, Goodyear's site only lists one tire in that size - they have an OWL and a BSW option but there's no practical difference other than the lettering.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:01 PM

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

EDIT:

The first person at tire rack was mistaken, neither carry the mountain snowflake symbol, but they cant explain the differences in the tires. hmmm.

That said, anyone have any comment on these tires in the snow?

Last edited by SwedishSTile; 09-03-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Stock Wrangler AT Adventures W Kevlar No Snowflake