Topic Sponsor
2015 - Present Ford F150 General discussion on the latest generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel vibrations and stiff points

Old 05-17-2019, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering wheel vibrations and stiff points

Hi all. 2015 5.0 28k miles
I bought the truck used at 27k. I noticed sometimes some stiff points in the steering wheel while turning, like you need to force it to come back. It happened just a couple times.
Today it happened quite a lot. After reading about it, I sprayed some PB blaster at the U joints on the steering column. Seemed to have helped.

The other thing is vibrations. Some buzzing in the steering wheel while driving. I saw it was talked about a lot so I figured it's "normal". But today with all the paranoia of the steering wheel getting stuck, I noticed there is a spot where it does not vibrate. While going straight it vibrates, but if I just slightly turn it left barely turning the wheel, buzzing go away.

I bought it certified so I have some kind of a bumper to bumper but I'd like some input before I have to deal with the dealer.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2019, 10:55 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 1,262 Likes on 857 Posts

Probably the EPAS. Not positive but I seem to remember there was a TSB for the 2015.

Could be tire(s) - alignment

Do you have the Lane Keep Asst?
Old 05-18-2019, 11:51 AM

Thanks for your reply. No lane keep assist. I'm searching for the possible TSB.
Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM

I dropped my car to the dealer yesterday.
The day before, for the heck of it, I checked the lug nuts thinking that could be the cause of the vibration. Most of them where a little loose... I wanted to put them back to spec but I only had a 13/16 for my torque wrench, so I had to use the spare tire kit wrench.. and like I read on this forum before, I couldn't fit the wrench on a couple of them! Scary.
And imagine what.. After I tight them back a bit, I couldn't feel any vibration in the steering wheel! Vibration were back by the time I was driving to the dealer though... The advisor at Ford recognized that this is a know issue with the lug nuts being 2 pieces with the caps.

I love the truck but men it worries me. I bought it used at 27k about a couple month ago and went twice to the dealership already. They will also look at the coolant leak again...
Glad I bought it certified. What a joke btw their 172 points inspection... I guess the leaky shock and low coolant fluid were not part of their 172 points...
The following users liked this post:
idrive (Yesterday)
Old Today, 03:41 AM

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalpetrucci View Post
I dropped my car to the dealer yesterday.
The day before, for the heck of it, I checked the lug nuts thinking that could be the cause of the vibration. Most of them where a little loose... I wanted to put them back to spec but I only had a 13/16 for my torque wrench, so I had to use the spare tire kit wrench.. and like I read on this forum before, I couldn't fit the wrench on a couple of them! Scary.
And imagine what.. After I tight them back a bit, I couldn't feel any vibration in the steering wheel! Vibration were back by the time I was driving to the dealer though... The advisor at Ford recognized that this is a know issue with the lug nuts being 2 pieces with the caps.

I love the truck but men it worries me. I bought it used at 27k about a couple month ago and went twice to the dealership already. They will also look at the coolant leak again...
Glad I bought it certified. What a joke btw their 172 points inspection... I guess the leaky shock and low coolant fluid were not part of their 172 points...
Get rid of those 2 piece lug nuts. Get you some Gorilla lug nuts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel vibrations and stiff points

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: