Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Stitching coming loose.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 01:35 PM

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Stitching coming loose.

2015 Lariat, less than 2000 miles and 2 weeks of ownership. At the left side of the steering wheel, the stitching has started coming out of the leather wrap.

I'm of course going to talk to the dealer, but my questions are; should I make the call immediately or tell them once I take it in for the first service? Also, what should I expect as the response? Are they going to try to re-stitch the existing steering wheel or should they replace it?

I have 7 year 150,000 mile PremiumCare if that makes any difference...
Old 04-07-2016, 02:11 PM

Received 647 Likes on 340 Posts

They will need to check with Ford to see if its a defect or damage caused by the vehicle operator. Ford has a specific reference sheet for them to follow on this. If it is covered under warranty they will replace the steering wheel.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:51 PM

Driving wouldn't be damage caused by the operator. It is coming loose where the left edge of the center section attaches to the wheel, just below the "10 and 2" bulges where your pinky finger lays. The end of the stitch has simply pulled loose and came out of the hole. Now there is a 1/8" - 1/4" piece of stitch sticking out.

If it wasn't a $40-some thousand dollar vehicle that I have owned for less than two weeks, I would likely just clip it off. My last truck went to 200,000 miles and the leather wrapped steering wheel held up fine...
Old 04-07-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 647 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Sysop
Driving wouldn't be damage caused by the operator. It is coming loose where the left edge of the center section attaches to the wheel, just below the "10 and 2" bulges where your pinky finger lays. The end of the stitch has simply pulled loose and came out of the hole. Now there is a 1/8" - 1/4" piece of stitch sticking out.

If it wasn't a $40-some thousand dollar vehicle that I have owned for less than two weeks, I would likely just clip it off. My last truck went to 200,000 miles and the leather wrapped steering wheel held up fine...
I'm not saying you are at fault. I am telling you the process that will be done. They likely will have to take photos of it and even send it to ford. Don't shoot the messenger.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 866 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by jm061
I'm not saying you are at fault. I am telling you the process that will be done. They likely will have to take photos of it and even send it to ford. Don't shoot the messenger.
He is right. They have to submit then Ford will respond. Good luck
Old 04-07-2016, 08:30 PM

Not out to shoot the messenger, I just wanted to be clear it wasn't anything I've done except drive it to my various service calls (I'm in the IT field).

I mainly wanted to get a feel for whether I should address it immediately or later; as well as what the expected results would be, repair or replace.

After posting messages here, I did find myself with some free time today which was unexpected, so I dropped by the dealer to let them take a look. I didn't want it to be several weeks and have it get worse and have them try to claim I did anything to cause it. As it is 10 days old, I wanted the issue fixed with the least hassle as possible.

When I showed up, they were very helpful and did as described above, taking pictures of the truck and the loose thread on the steering wheel to send to FoMoCo. They attempted to submit the claim but the server was down at the time. They claimed it should be no issue to have the steering wheel available to be replaced when I come in for the first service. Service manual says 1.1 hours to R&R the steering wheel.

Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Stitching coming loose.