Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spray-in bedliner vs bed mat, and roll-on cover vs no cover. Opinions requested. Thx.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:21 PM

Received 436 Likes on 342 Posts
Default Spray-in bedliner vs bed mat, and roll-on cover vs no cover. Opinions requested. Thx.

Hey guys, need your help to make up my mind. Just bought my truck (see sig for specs) last week, and don't know what to do regarding those 2 topics. I'll only use the bed to haul a 450-lb motorcycle I'm yet to purchase (looking at a Yamaha MT-10), and the occasional large item, like furniture, etc. I read what's involved to do a spray-in bedliner, and didn't like it. My brand new truck might get scratched, they need to remove the tailgate (might damage something, from wiring to the suspension system on the hinges), and cross-thread a bolt from the hooks if they use a power tool (like it's typically the case). And most important of all, I don't really need it. Besides, if my sides get messed up, then I could do it later, but I'm almost sure a good mat should be all I need. But need opinions. If everybody think it's definitely worth the extra expense and risk, I'd do it then. Was recommended by a few Raptor owners a local shop that uses 'Rhino Linings', so it'd be that. Read that 'Linex' is probably better, but would rather use the shop that was recommended. For those who think a mat and tailgate mat would suffice, please recommend which brand/model. Finally, I don't want to drill my tailgate, so want to know if a mat can be installed without extra drilling (hope so).

Now to the cover. I'd basically use the truck to travel with the bike behind, not always, but most of the times, so I'm debating if I need a cover. I'd have to be the roll-up soft type, since I don't want to be removing it every time I want to haul the bike. A friend has the 3-piece soft/hard one, and another the roll-up soft. The material of the roll-up is flimsy, and requires constant conditioning, but my truck will be garaged most of the time. Forgot the brand, but those who have one, can post what you've got. I was considering it initially thinking it'd give me a lot better highway fuel mileage, but maybe I'm wrong. Read that Ford redesigned the truck to take into account drag caused by the closed tailgate, so maybe the difference is minimal. Plus, as I said, most of the trips would probably be with a bike behind, so cover would have to be rolled-up anyway.

Finally, as a side request, also need guidance how to safely and securely haul the bike on the bed. First, was thinking of using this chock: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/trackside-roll-on-wheel-chock?kclid=85abf8e3-60d8-4831-92ad-bdb9cace6893&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9Mmm84mv2wIVwh6GCh1 rxQrsEAYYASABEgI6lPD_BwE
Is it safe to use it without being drilled to the truck? I plan to use it at home too, since bike won't have a center stand (less space in the garage straight). Anyway, noticed the bed's front hooks are not at floor level, but I think the chock would still be secure from side to side movement from the somewhat elevated front hooks, right?
Next, the rear wheel would have to be on the tailgate. Was told the tailgate was rated for 825 lbs (and the ladder for 325), but remember reading not to exceed 150 lbs when subjected to constant weight with it open. Is that the case? Bike would probably put around 175 lbs (maybe 200 max) on it. I plan to use the side cleats to hold the rear steady, therefore not adding any weight to the tailgate via straps. In addition, is it necessary to buy that swinging 'cage'... if it was to clear the rear wheel? Or just having it properly strapped is enough? Don't think that plastic 'cage' could hold the weight of the bike anyway, but just want to ask. Plus it'd take space in the bed I'd probably need to stow the ramps. I'll try to buy ramps that I can put inside the rear of the cabin, to avoid theft, and having to spend time securing them to the truck (and possibly scratching the paint (if I decide on a mat, rather than spray-in bedliner). And yes, I know about securing the ramps to the hitch to avoid an accident. By the way, plan to buy 2 ramps (preferably curved) to 'walk' the bike up the truck; one for me, the other (secured to the hitch) for the bike, so open to suggestions (please specify brand/model). The longer the better, but again, I want them to fit behind my seat. All comments welcome, hopefully from F-150 owners who have hauled bikes behind . Many thanks.
JC

Last edited by elptxjc; 07-01-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:30 PM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Ive had a bed rug and line-x. Although the bed rug is nice it didnt really suit my needs for hauling gear such as hunting gear, animals, etc. But if you dont haul much of that kind of stuff, the bed rug is a great option.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:55 PM
Bug

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

My 2 cents:

I have both a spray-in liner AND a bedmat. Ford dealer did the spray-in, it's not Rhino Liner, I'm pretty sure the tailgate was NOT removed for the spray process. I use my bed a lot for "stuff", any spray-in has a relatively rough surface so sliding boxes, crates, just about anything forward from the tailgate ain't always easy, so I got a bedmat too (but not for the tailgate, you don't really need a mat for the tailgate). Plus it affords a cushion when throwing heavy objects into the bed (no Chevy ad aluminum bed damage for this guy!). The spray-in on the bed walls gives you some protection when "stuff" slides around inadvertently (going 50 on that 35 mph turn, etc).

I also have a Truxedo Lo Pro QT soft roll-up bed topper. I use it a lot too, mainly for keeping stuff dry in the rain. Takes less than 1 minute to roll up or roll back and latch. You will get people telling you any bedcover does absolutely nothing for mpg improvement but that has not been my experience, I've had both soft and hard bedcovers on my 3 most recent trucks over the last ~14 years and always saw quantifiable mpg improvement with the cover vs no cover at highway speeds (maybe only 1 mpg but always measurable in my case).

I'd bet good money that, over time, you'll find a LOT of things you'll want to haul in the bed other than the 450 lb MC, so spend a few bucks and get at least the spray-in liner.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:08 PM

Hey, while looking for 'bed rug', found this option that seems the best of both worlds: https://www.dualliner.com/ford-bed-l...-short-5ft-6in
Comments welcome on this system. I forgot to ask the mat needs to be grippy (skid resistant), and this one seems to be super, and 3/8" thick. Maybe a bit thicker and heavier than I wanted, but it won't go anywhere, no? The good news is it's not that bulky, and can be removed and relocated/sold when truck is traded. Thx.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something to consider with your bike...I load 2 bikes in a 6.5 box twice a week to head to the trails.
I got the Line-X premium for 2 reasons; 1 its really easy to clean from all the bike mud that gets in the bed, 2 when you a unstrapping your bike, you can just drop the straps in the box while worrying about holding the bike up and get it out...without the spray or something on the bed, you'd put small dings in the box every time you drop them.

As for the cover, I got the Truxedo Truxsport 5 days ago, I can roll it up and leave it on the truck with bikes, which is great. My 6.5 box is tight for 2 bikes with the tailgate closed, a low profile type roll-up doesn't work and a hardcover simply doesn't work unless I remove it every time, no thanks. I got the roll-up so I can use the box when its raining, I also live in Canada which means no snow in my box for the winter, and finally I get to test out the fuel saving claims I see everywhere.

As for your concerns over spray in, do your research, seek out a reputable company and read reviews online.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by elptxjc
Finally, as a side request, also need guidance how to safely and securely haul the bike on the bed. First, was thinking of using this chock: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...SABEgI6lPD_BwE
Is it safe to use it without being drilled to the truck? I plan to use it at home too, since bike won't have a center stand (less space in the garage straight). Anyway, noticed the bed's front hooks are not at floor level, but I think the chock would still be secure from side to side movement from the somewhat elevated front hooks, right?
Next, the rear wheel would have to be on the tailgate. Was told the tailgate was rated for 825 lbs (and the ladder for 325), but remember reading not to exceed 150 lbs when subjected to constant weight with it open. Is that the case? Bike would probably put around 175 lbs (maybe 200 max) on it. I plan to use the side cleats to hold the rear steady, therefore not adding any weight to the tailgate via straps. In addition, is it necessary to buy that swinging 'cage'... if it was to clear the rear wheel? Or just having it properly strapped is enough? Don't think that plastic 'cage' could hold the weight of the bike anyway, but just want to ask. Plus it'd take space in the bed I'd probably need to stow the ramps. I'll try to buy ramps that I can put inside the rear of the cabin, to avoid theft, and having to spend time securing them to the truck (and possibly scratching the paint (if I decide on a mat, rather than spray-in bedliner). And yes, I know about securing the ramps to the hitch to avoid an accident. By the way, plan to buy 2 ramps (preferably curved) to 'walk' the bike up the truck; one for me, the other (secured to the hitch) for the bike, so open to suggestions (please specify brand/model). The longer the better, but again, I want them to fit behind my seat. All comments welcome, hopefully from F-150 owners who have hauled bikes behind . Many thanks.
JC
Forgot this part...I haul dirt bikes, not street bikes. I recommend you youtube how to load and secure street bikes. Your biggest "challenge" will actually be loading and unloading since they are heavier then dirt bikes, securing it in the box is pretty simple with the 8 hook up points we have in the box, and the chock you linked is a great option.
As for the ramp, I use this: https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...mp/A-p8291080e with this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...P-WP/206582004
I like the large platform step, works well to load and unload with a single ramp...but here's is your next problem, I'm 6' tall and can easily load / unload a 250/450 by myself. My buddy who is 5'7" can't do it, your height makes all the difference in the system you'll be using.
Find the longest ramp you can use / stow like the one I linked, really does help for starters.
GL!
Old 07-01-2018, 08:27 PM
Flyingcoach2

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I like my Rhino Liner. I had it sprayed by Rhino Lining in Abilene, not the dealer, and I can say they did an exceptional job! I've spilled paint, chainsaw bar oil, 2 cycle fuel mix, multiple yards of mulch and pallets of grass. Clean up was / is very easy. My only "complaint" is that I cant use the factory installed boxlinks. The spray was just a tad too thick for them to fit.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:53 PM

Received 346 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm a fan of a spray-in liner. It makes it relatively easy to toss bulky objects (like motorcycle ramps) into the bed and not be overly concerned if they scrape on their way in or slide into the side wall on a corner. My skis and poles are almost never where they started when I get home, but I ski on Beartooth Pass, so there's a bit of hard cornering involved. A spray-in liner, being effectively a heavy-duty paint, won't trap moisture or dirt between the liner and paint unless the installer screws it up. I'd assume a bedrug could potentially do that.

As far as roll-up liners go, I bought a cheap-*** one from eBay ($125ish shipped to my door). It works well enough, most of the time (sometimes closing it is a little finicky). Based on its current condition at almost a year old, I'm guessing that after two or three winters I'll need to consider other options. However, it's easy to get out of the way with a bike loaded, it keeps snow out of the bed in the winter (can't fit the truck in the garage), and it keeps smaller items from flying out of the bed, For the money, I'm happy with it.

As far as tiedowns, there are regular tiedowns in all four corners, at the base of the bed wall, in addition to the four (optional) BedLink tie down points. The standard tie downs have worked pretty well for me the times that I've had a bike in the back of the truck.

As noted, the height of the bed does make loading and unloading a bitch. If at all possible, put the rear wheels into a ditch, back up to a bank, or otherwise below the surface from which you're loading the bike, e.g.:

Even with the reduced load height, I still needed help getting the 500-pound-dry bike into the bed (or be able to do it under power, which gets sketchy quick). I can load my 250-pound-dry dirt bike by myself as long as I get a running start at it, but I also have a nice wide ramp to use.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:00 AM

Hey, that GS 500 lbs? In your dreams. Ha ha. It's well north of 600 with those metal bags brother. The adventure is 564 'dry', which is without any fluids, tools, and not even a battery.They're above 600 fully fueled, and those bags are heavy. And bulky to maneuver the bike on a ramp too. My ex K1300S was 550 lbs, and the GS felt quite a bit heavier to me. Nice bike though. Your loading suggestion is nice, but no such luck where I live. Have to do it on flat ground. That's why I need TWO ramps, one for the bike, one for me. The ones linked above at 90" should be enough IMO, and they fit folded inside the truck.

I chose the BedRug full liner (costs the same as the Dual-Liner, at $399) with the Truxedo Truxsport tonneau cover ($309). Will also install Husky inner fender liners, but will probably pass on mud guards. They look like crap, require drilling, and even with that there's not much where they can get attached, so have to be flimsy, and add drag. Since I'm not going to use the truck for four-wheeling, and hardly ever snow here, don't think I need them. Will monitor paint damage, which is my main concern, but don't think those things help much. Thanks a lot for the help so far folks. After this, I need to focus on the bike issues, namely ramps and chock. Then I'll be ready to buy one. He he.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:39 AM

Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts

Skip that Dual liner. It's basically a bed mat with plastic sides, and I'm pretty sure the sides don't actually attach to the mat.
Look at the BedRug Bedtred Ultra. It installs just like the BedRug, but has a harder, textured surface similar to a spray-in liner.
They're lined with 3/4" thick foam, which makes it great if you are getting in the bed with any frequency.
I've got the standard BedRug and love it. Also had one in my 2014 Silverado.

Ford bed covers, depending on your budget, consider the Bak Revolver X2.

The plastic bed extender (cage) is unnecessary for your scenario. I highly doubt it would do anything to keep a motorcycle in place if something were to happen. Just use good quality straps.

Last edited by tenx82; 07-02-2018 at 05:51 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spray-in bedliner vs bed mat, and roll-on cover vs no cover. Opinions requested. Thx.