Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport FX4 or regular 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport FX4 or regular 4x4

I am wanting to purchase a new F150 but I am not up to date on all the packages. I want to put a level kit on and aftermarket tires/wheels. Is there a ride height or clearance difference in the different models?? Sport vs FX4 vs regular 4x4 I have bad back so ride quality is important. Does the FX4 ride a lot rougher than the other models?? I assume a 2" spacer is the standard for leveling. I do not like when tires stick outside the fenders, what are the recommended combos???

18 or 20" I assume 18 to 25 ish offset. Are there tire limitations based on wheel diameter or good suggested combos?? I don't want loud road noise tires. There is very little offroading where I live. It will mostly be a highway/gravel road truck.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:19 AM

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a 2018 Screw with the FX4 package for a week and then exchanged it for a 2019 with the standard 4x4 package. (Because the 2018 lacked a towing package not because of the FX4 option.) I found the standard suspension much nicer on the road. I could feel the rear end of the FX4 truck hop more over bumpy roads than the standard. YMMV.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:32 AM

Received 461 Likes on 293 Posts

I feel every expansion joint in my FX4 and I don't think the shocks work very well in any situation on road or off. For as stiff as it feels on the road you'd think the shocks would keep things under relatively tight control off road, but that's just not the case in my experience, which is admittedly pretty limited so far.

I got the FX4 package because that happened to be on the truck on the lot that was otherwise closest to what I wanted. Despite what my avatar may imply, I'd prefer not to have it. I just like the sticker, LOL.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:42 AM

Received 530 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by bisonp
I just like the sticker, LOL.
I pealed mine off and put it on the garage wall. LOL Guess I do like it...most stickers are thrown in the trash.

The FX4 does also include skid plates and hill decent control. Only owned my truck for a few weeks, but have Bilstein 5100's here to install this weekend. That should tell you what I think of the stock suspension.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:48 AM

Received 205 Likes on 131 Posts

Sport is just an appearance package. Gets you body color bumpers, different grille and sport-specific wheels. I liked the FX4 package for the hill descent control (can be useful on steep snowy streets) and the locking diff though I will probably rarely use either one.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:54 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

the difference in feel between the regular 4x4 shocks and the fx4 shocks is miniscule. it is not life-changing. Now, when I compared my stock 4x4 shocks to my FIL's Fx4 (both 2017 3.5b Screws), I thought his truck was more planted and rode better.

So I upgraded to 5100s.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:03 AM

Received 530 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by ghunt81
Sport is just an appearance package. Gets you body color bumpers, different grille and sport-specific wheels. I liked the FX4 package for the hill descent control (can be useful on steep snowy streets) and the locking diff though I will probably rarely use either one.
Oh, yeah, forgot to address the Sport part of the question.

It's a very inclusive package that I would HAVE to have if buying an XLT. Not only is it visual with the painted parts and wheels, but it's also a drastically different interior. It gets you a center console with console shifter AND matching color interior for the beltline and up. I can't stand the regular two toned interiors where the top half is some kind of mismatched/clashing taupe color. The Sport makes it ALL black and matching.

Yes, I'm picky. I freely admit it.
The following 3 users liked this post by sholxgt:
Axles of Evil (05-07-2019), LCW (05-02-2019), rbird2 (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 461 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by ghunt81
I forgot about the locking diff, that is one thing I thought I wanted. But I didn't find it to be useful at all this past winter. Would much rather have limited slip like my old truck.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by sholxgt
Oh, yeah, forgot to address the Sport part of the question.

It's a very inclusive package that I would HAVE to have if buying an XLT. Not only is it visual with the painted parts and wheels, but it's also a drastically different interior. It gets you a center console with console shifter AND matching color interior for the beltline and up. I can't stand the regular two toned interiors where the top half is some kind of mismatched/clashing taupe color. The Sport makes it ALL black and matching.

Yes, I'm picky. I freely admit it.
Woops totally forgot about the sport interior- yes, Sport gets all black interior with buckets and console shifter.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by bisonp
I forgot about the locking diff, that is one thing I thought I wanted. But I didn't find it to be useful at all this past winter. Would much rather have limited slip like my old truck.
I figure if I ever get stuck the locking diff would be a life saver, however I don't have much other use for it.

Quick Reply: Sport FX4 or regular 4x4