Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker recommendation for low powered amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speaker recommendation for low powered amp

Hello

I want to install some Polk DB coaxial speakers with a 45W Alpine Power Pack amp - but I keep reading that component speakers are supposedly better, and I see that I could get some Infinity Primus components for the front instead for similar cost. I'd believe that top notch speakers are more typically made as component speakers, but am I really going to get better sound from component speakers vs coaxial speakers of similar price range? Don't most coaxial speakers have crossovers built in, just like how component speaker packages come with external crossovers? Plus, I was looking at the pillar tweeter location in my 2016 and it seems only marginally better than where the coaxial ones would be.

Am I making a mistake by going with the Polk?

OPTION 1:
Front doors: Polk 6x9 3-way coaxial Polk Audio DB 692;
Pillars: abandon the pillar tweeters in place
Rear doors: Polk 6.5" 2-way coaxial Polk Audio DB 652

OPTION 2:
Front doors: Infinity 6x9 component Infinity Primus PR9610cs;
Pillars: Infinity component tweeters (link above)
Rear: Infinity 6.5" 2-way coaxial Infinity Primus PR6512is

I'm driving a 2016 F150 XLT SuperCrew, 8" LCD, no Sony, no Nav (7 speakers came stock, but I will abandon the center channel)
Old 05-24-2018, 12:51 AM

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts

Infinity or JBL will work a lot better off the low power amp because of the lower impedance but I wouldn't get the top of the line. The lowest price models sound very good. If you had a lot more power to give, I would recommend the 6x9 Kappa coaxials or even the Polks.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by UncleG
Infinity or JBL will work a lot better off the low power amp because of the lower impedance but I wouldn't get the top of the line. The lowest price models sound very good. If you had a lot more power to give, I would recommend the 6x9 Kappa coaxials or even the Polks.
I just ordered the Polk DBs last night per Crutchfield's recommendation. I told them what amp I'd be using and they suggested the Polk DB coaxials, I didn't mention any brand to them ahead of time so they suggested the Polks out of all brands & models available. That being said, I could still return them.

But the Polks already have pretty high sensitivity, and I'm really going for sound quality not volume. Do you really think I'd be better off with a lower impedance speaker?

Thanks for responding.

Last edited by Longhorn F150; 05-24-2018 at 01:45 AM. Reason: included quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:28 AM
2015 F150 PLATNIUM Anch

Received 634 Likes on 313 Posts

I went with morel speakers front and back , AudioMobil sub with wet sounds amps and MiniDSP ... 2015 Sony upgrade

Last edited by leckbandg; 05-24-2018 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Longhorn F150
I just ordered the Polk DBs last night per Crutchfield's recommendation. I told them what amp I'd be using and they suggested the Polk DB coaxials, I didn't mention any brand to them ahead of time so they suggested the Polks out of all brands & models available. That being said, I could still return them.

But the Polks already have pretty high sensitivity, and I'm really going for sound quality not volume. Do you really think I'd be better off with a lower impedance speaker?

Thanks for responding.
Try the Polks but just know the little Alpine headunit amp does not put out a true 45wx4 and the 6x9 polks handle 150w RMS each.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:16 AM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleG
this is incorrect. Impendence means nothing where power is concerned in this instance.
You want to look for drivers with a higher sensitivity rating...you will see it as 1 watt / 1 Meter on the spec sheet. The higher the better with low power.
Max power on a driver is a useless thing as well. Distortion kills drivers...not power. I’ve ran over 400 clean watts through 1.5” tweeters in SQ conpetition systems...headroom is a wonderful thing.
What will happen with a low power amp 99% of the time is people turn the gain all the way up to get some volume out of them. The gain isn’t a volume ****, it’s to match the input of the amp to the output of the HU. Turning the gain up nets you a higher noise floor, more distortion and bad sound.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN

this is incorrect. Impendence means nothing where power is concerned in this instance.
You want to look for drivers with a higher sensitivity rating...you will see it as 1 watt / 1 Meter on the spec sheet. The higher the better with low power.
Max power on a driver is a useless thing as well. Distortion kills drivers...not power. I’ve ran over 400 clean watts through 1.5” tweeters in SQ conpetition systems...headroom is a wonderful thing.
What will happen with a low power amp 99% of the time is people turn the gain all the way up to get some volume out of them. The gain isn’t a volume ****, it’s to match the input of the amp to the output of the HU. Turning the gain up nets you a higher noise floor, more distortion and bad sound.
Thanks for your input, I'm going to trust Crutchfield for now and stick with the Polk DB coaxials. I will chime back in how they sound once installed. Hopefully I will not be disappointed!
Old 05-24-2018, 12:31 PM

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I did the Polk DBs like you for the doors, plus Kickers for the pillars/center and a low price powered sub too. Search my posts in the Budget thread. I spent under $400 and it's a massive improvement. I didn't add an amp, and see no reason to at the volumes I use.

Mike
Old 05-25-2018, 03:03 AM

Impedance is resistance to power. Lower impedance speakers will play louder and make more efficient use of the low power of a stock/oem amp or headunit. Higher sensitivity is also good. The combination of low impedance and high sensitivity is great for low power applications.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:30 PM

Received 907 Likes on 465 Posts

Well Damn

Quick Reply: Speaker recommendation for low powered amp