Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sometimes won't downshift into 1st when coming to stop

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 11:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Sometimes won't downshift into 1st when coming to stop

When i come down off my hill (gravel with 10% grade), it will usually go into 3rd gear on the way down. At the bottom when i stop before pulling onto main road, it won't downshift into 1st gear. It wants to stay in 3rd while stopped which makes it very difficult to start driving because its in too high of a gear, and clunks when trying to get into a lower gear.

When i'm stopped at the bottom, i cannot get it to shift back into 1st. i've tried hitting the down button on the gear shift, but it won't do anything. Also have tried shifting into Manual & pressing the downshift button which doesn't work, and shifting into Park then back to Drive, but still nothing. The only thing that seems to work is shut my truck completely off and turn back then. It then seems to reset back into 1st gear.

Any thoughts on how to get it to shift from 3rd back to 1st when i come to a stop other than turning it off every time? I guess I could manually keep it in 1st or 2nd on way down, but just seeing if there's another option.

2016 Lariat 3.5 EB. Sorry if this has been posted, i tried searching but couldn't find anything.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:25 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Dealer.

I use Sport mode.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:51 PM

Received 1,267 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerfan7p
When i come down off my hill (gravel with 10% grade), it will usually go into 3rd gear on the way down. At the bottom when i stop before pulling onto main road, it won't downshift into 1st gear. It wants to stay in 3rd while stopped which makes it very difficult to start driving because its in too high of a gear, and clunks when trying to get into a lower gear.

When i'm stopped at the bottom, i cannot get it to shift back into 1st. i've tried hitting the down button on the gear shift, but it won't do anything. Also have tried shifting into Manual & pressing the downshift button which doesn't work, and shifting into Park then back to Drive, but still nothing. The only thing that seems to work is shut my truck completely off and turn back then. It then seems to reset back into 1st gear.

Any thoughts on how to get it to shift from 3rd back to 1st when i come to a stop other than turning it off every time? I guess I could manually keep it in 1st or 2nd on way down, but just seeing if there's another option.

2016 Lariat 3.5 EB. Sorry if this has been posted, i tried searching but couldn't find anything.
As this is repeatable go pick up your dealer and take him for a ride to your hill.. After he says this is normal go get a new 2016 truck off the lot and take him for another ride and see if he is correct...

If he is then you need to buy a 2017 with the auto-stop/start 10 speed transmission and it should solve the problem for you..
Old 12-03-2016, 09:23 PM

Received 352 Likes on 245 Posts

Detach the positive battery cable for a half an hour, reattach, then go test drive.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by srg963
Detach the positive battery cable for a half an hour, reattach, then go test drive.
if i may ask, what will this do?
Old 12-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Mike

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

if i may ask, what will this do?
I'd assume he's referring to resetting your PCM - and the adaptive driving where it learns your "driving style" and adjusts shift points etc...

I've done that before (only I was told to unplug the negative terminal and turn on the headlights to drain any reserve power)...and it changed my shift points after I added bigger tires and exhaust - it did make a difference for me - but not sure if it would help in your case.
The following users liked this post:
steelerfan7p (12-07-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Problem Here

[QUOTE=steelerfan7p;5067438]When i come down off my hill (gravel with 10% grade), it will usually go into 3rd gear on the way down. At the bottom when i stop before pulling onto main road, it won't downshift into 1st gear. It wants to stay in 3rd while stopped which makes it very difficult to start driving because its in too high of a gear, and clunks when trying to get into a lower gear.

Same thing happens occasionally for me, however I do not have near a 10% grade. I pull out of an uphill driveway, then roll down a hill for about 0.2 miles, not usually much input from me to propel the truck. The problem shows up when trying to leave from a stop sign, and like OP says, it is stuck in 3rd and needs a power shutdown to reset.

I was thinking of resetting the shift points anyway, but this does not happen regularly enough for me to know right away if it works. This has happened maybe 4 times in 9 months, only in this same spot though.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure if this is the same thing/phenomenon, but backing out of my driveway, there is a slight incline onto the neighborhood street, due to several repaves over the years. So as I shift into drive, and I start to take off, sometimes the tranny lunges. I haven't paid close attention to what gears it's in at the time, regular mode or Sport mode, but it's a bit strange.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same truck same exact problem. It reoccurs randomly after about 20-30 times down driveway. Cannot find a way to reproduce for dealer so they cannot do anything for me. I have been to another dealer for 2nd opinion but no help. The Ford engineers responded with "they have never seen this before, this case is unique" unless we see a code or diagnostic dump they cannot help. Have you been to dealer and reported your issue? Did you figure out a fix?
Old 03-27-2019, 08:27 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

I don't see the issue. If you didn't have the gear selector showing on the dash you wouldn't know it was happening and wouldn't be concerned about it.

Quick Reply: Sometimes won't downshift into 1st when coming to stop