Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Solar Tinted Glass"

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Default "Solar Tinted Glass"

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't solar tinted glass actually tinted? My window sticker on my new truck says solar tinted glass, but based on the pictures my truck does NOT have tinted rear windows- So I don't know if it is missed, or if Ford offers something like a solar coating but no tint.. I am picking up the truck today, and before I walk out with it, I need to know- If it's supposed to have tint, you better believe I am asking for some freebies cause this aint tinted!

"Solar Tinted Glass"-018.jpg

"Solar Tinted Glass"-012.jpg
Old 07-27-2016, 09:55 AM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Virtually all glass is "solar tinted" now. It may look like it is not tinted but it is. The "tint" is a UV coating that diminishes UV rays going into the cabin and damaging the materials etc. it does look tinted slightly if you hold up a normal piece of glass adjacent to it. It is a similar principle to glass used to protect documents in frames in museums although I'm sure the manufacturing techniques are different.

Not sure how the solar tint is made. Maybe someone else does. Enjoy your truck!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by runningW
Virtually all glass is "solar tinted" now. It may look like it is not tinted but it is. The "tint" is a UV coating that diminishes UV rays going into the cabin and damaging the materials etc. it does look tinted slightly if you hold up a normal piece of glass adjacent to it. It is a similar principle to glass used to protect documents in frames in museums although I'm sure the manufacturing techniques are different.

Not sure how the solar tint is made. Maybe someone else does. Enjoy your truck!
Darn. I was hoping I could get free floormats or something out of this. I guess the actual dark tinit is called "Privacy glass"?
Old 07-27-2016, 10:17 AM

Just go in to the dealer and play dumb and act crazy. Maybe they will give U some free stuff to just get rid of you. 👍🏻😄

The privacy glass is the back glass.

Look at the pictures of your truck you posted. Look through the solar tinted windows to the background and you can see a slight green tinge compared with the background not covered by the Windows. That's the "solar tint".

My truck still heats up like an oven so it doesn't block the heat. I have a nice folding reflecting windshield cover that helps.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:19 AM

Your sticker says "color coordinated carpet". What does that mean? Is it actually blue to match the blue jeans? Would be cool if it did!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:42 AM

Your sticker says "color coordinated carpet". What does that mean? Is it actually blue to match the blue jeans? Would be cool if it did!
no it matches the seats- its gray. They say that because you can still get a higher optioned truck with steel wheels and a rubber floor covering versus carpet to save a few bucks. They had and FX4 with rubber flooring, and ugly steel work wheels. I was like whats the point? But I guess if I were to offroad it, or use it as a business truck I would want to change my wheels and would want rubber flooring so I would like the savings...
Old 07-27-2016, 10:51 AM

I like carpet and my truck goes through nasty dirty winters. Husky Mats or weather tech keeps the carpets new. 👍🏻. Rubber floors seems like a downgrade to me lol.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:20 AM

I like carpet and my truck goes through nasty dirty winters. Husky Mats or weather tech keeps the carpets new. 👍🏻. Rubber floors seems like a downgrade to me lol.
yet if you have carpet and cover it completely up with floor mats, does it really matter? My 2004 avalanche I had husky liners on both sides, on the center hump, and across the whole back cargo area... At that point, you put a rubber mat over all the carpet... Other than resale value, I don't think carpet it that much greater than a full rubber mat. I am probably one of the few that wants a less optioned truck- I had auto climate control in my AVY, and it broke repeatedly. I had power seats in my avalance, but once they are set, you don't move them. I had an in dash nav system with dvd (aftermarket) and I was more distracted using that than I was using my Iphone nav with bluetooth...

I like nice amenities like power windows, locks, cruise, tilt steering, and anything else that just works.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:31 AM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

Exclamation

DUH! "color coordinated" to the inside interior, which would probably mean black or grey.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:40 AM

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

From what I understand most of that glass is just colored glass rather than tinted against UV, but that's in direct contradiction to what someone else here posted so now I'm not so sure.

Personally I darkened my back windows a lot and the front a little (rigorous tint laws here). My son seems a lot happier in the back with it darkened out and it definitely seems cooler back there, of course I have the flow through console which was a must for me.

Quick Reply: "Solar Tinted Glass"