Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SiriusXM Intermittent

Old 05-03-2016, 07:43 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SiriusXM Intermittent

It's official: When I took my brand new 2016 F-150 to the dealer to complain about satellite radio being excessively intermittent it was assumed by anyone who heard me that I just didn't know how sat radio works. I know. I have electronic training, I hold the highest possible amateur radio license, and have subscribed to sat radio since it's first year on the air. I know the characteristics of sat radio. The dealer did a search on my VIN and this alert popped up:

Special Service Messages

45710 2016 - Expedition/Navigator, F150, Mustang, Transit, And Taurus - Sirius Satellite Radio - Audio Cuts Out/No Signal

Some 2016 Expedition, Navigator, F150, Mustang, Transit and Taurus vehicles equipped with Sirius satellite radio may exhibit an intermittent concern where the audio cuts out and the radio display reads no signal. Engineering is currently investigating this concern. Since this may be cause by multiple factors it is recommended to follow normal workshop manual diagnostics at this time. However, do not replace if clear root cause cannot be determined. To assist with the investigation use the Report A Vehicle Concern link at the bottom of the Oasis report and submit a Global Concern Report (GCR). Continue to monitor OASIS which will be updated with status on this investigation.

Effective date: 21-March-2016
Old 05-03-2016, 09:06 AM

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by donsmith
It's official: When I took my brand new 2016 F-150 to the dealer to complain about satellite radio being excessively intermittent it was assumed by anyone who heard me that I just didn't know how sat radio works. I know. I have electronic training, I hold the highest possible amateur radio license, and have subscribed to sat radio since it's first year on the air. I know the characteristics of sat radio. The dealer did a search on my VIN and this alert popped up:

Special Service Messages

45710 2016 - Expedition/Navigator, F150, Mustang, Transit, And Taurus - Sirius Satellite Radio - Audio Cuts Out/No Signal

Some 2016 Expedition, Navigator, F150, Mustang, Transit and Taurus vehicles equipped with Sirius satellite radio may exhibit an intermittent concern where the audio cuts out and the radio display reads no signal. Engineering is currently investigating this concern. Since this may be cause by multiple factors it is recommended to follow normal workshop manual diagnostics at this time. However, do not replace if clear root cause cannot be determined. To assist with the investigation use the Report A Vehicle Concern link at the bottom of the Oasis report and submit a Global Concern Report (GCR). Continue to monitor OASIS which will be updated with status on this investigation.

Effective date: 21-March-2016

I have an amateur license also and have run video uplinks. I spoke with Sirius about the portable in my wife's car doing the same thing and they have said it was my equipment. They sent replacement receiver and antenna which didn't improve the issue. I think Sirius is overextended in their use of their bandwidth (too many channels for available bandwidth).

Search the forum for this issue. Somewhere there is a mention an antenna that you get with a portable radio may help. The antenna with these truck is used for GPS and Sirius. It seems the combination and/or the splitters may be the issue. Using a stand alone antenna could be the answer.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:13 AM
Some guy

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Sirius radio equipment has always been terrible, even when I worked there eight or nine years ago. It's pushed out to early without enough testing and it just isn't durable. I also agree with what Ifallsguy said about bandwidth.
The following users liked this post:
Ifallsguy (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 09:58 AM

I appreciate everyones opinion about the equipment but let me say that I traded in a 2014 Ford Escape with factory SiriusXM and Navigation and both those features worked very well. Clearly, something is not working correctly on my 2016 F-150 with factory SiriusXM (but not with Navigation) and Ford has yet to determine which part is failing on all the models listed in the alert. Maybe they changed the model or the source for the antenna. Or it could be a more complicated problem. The dealer doesn't want to start replacing parts until Ford identifies the failure affecting so many vehicles.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:04 AM

The SiriusXM problem has ruined my new truck experience. It makes me want to shove this truck, a truck that I love, back into the face of the dealer.

While I love the truck, I hate that my stories and interviews are constantly interrupted. I don't listen to music. Missing a few beats of music wouldn't be so bad, but to miss an important point in a story or an interview that can never be retrieved is really aggravating.

The bulletin I referenced in the OP is now closing in on being two months old.

The salesman promised to keep me updated but I only hear from him when I ask. And, I do NOT constantly pester him. I only ask about once every two weeks and only then because of radio silence on his part despite his promise. I would call that pretty good restraint for something that is driving me crazy. It's totally ruining my new truck experience.

When I sent an impassioned plea yesterday the salesman simply replied with a terse 'They are still working on it'.

I'm angry at this point. I was never more excited to get this truck. Great truck. But every time I drive it the constant SiriusXM signal loss puts me into a foul mood. I walk into work ready to bite nails. Every morning.

I'm now getting the feeling that I'm being stonewalled. It's starting to feel like I have to live with it. If that turns out to be the case I want to get rid of the truck even though I truly like the truck itself. If I'm blocked from enjoying it, what's the point?
Old 05-20-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an '11 F-150 and the Sirius worked great on it. On my new '16, i've noticed it cuts out a lot, but in my case it directly attributable to the hills around me.

There are places i never lost a signal before on my old truck, but now i lose it every time in certain places, including in town when i'm between larger buildings.

I was wondering if part of the problem was that fact that the truck is aluminum now? From what i understand, that can cause minor differences with cell phone boosters and CB's. Either way, the reception was definitely better in my old truck.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:26 PM

steelerfan7p - As an electronics guy it appears to me that the signal strength is degraded to the point just above the threshold needed by the receiver. In perfect conditions you hear the satellite. Then, I can understand that buildings and hills will degraded it a little more thus dropping its strength below what's needed by the receiver and the radio begins searching for a signal. I'm skeptical about the aluminum degrading the signal. It's a great conductor just like steel and most ham antennas have aluminum elements. Besides, there are a number of other car models listed as having this SiriusXM reception problem that do not have aluminum bodies. Like you, my previous Ford with satellite radio had great satellite reception.

Last edited by donsmith; 05-20-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:28 PM
Some guy

Originally Posted by donsmith
steelerfan7p - As an electronics guy it appears to me that the signal strength is degraded to the point just above the threshold needed by the receiver. In perfect conditions you hear the satellite. Then, I can understand that buildings and hills will degraded it a little more thus dropping its strength below what's needed by the receiver and the radio begins searching for a signal. I'm skeptical about the aluminum degrading the signal. It's a great conductor just like steel. As an amateur radio operator I've used the trick of an aluminum cookie sheet underneath a mag-mount antenna used indoors to give the antenna a ground plane and improve its performance. Besides, there are a number of other car models listed as having this SiriusXM reception problem that do not have aluminum bodies. Like you, my previous Ford with satellite radio had great satellite reception.
Another amateur radio operator here - agreed. Aluminum can make a fantastic ground plane, even for just a receiver. I doubt that's your issue.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:36 PM

LaMartian - KK5DON. Got the callsign plates on the truck yesterday.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:45 PM
Some guy

(call sign removed) here. Thought about getting the plates but I like my NRA ones too much .... .. .... ..

Last edited by Martian; 05-12-2017 at 08:24 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SiriusXM Intermittent