Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius XM Sound Quality

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Sirius XM Sound Quality

Not a 2015-current specific topic. Mods feel free to move to an appropriate forum.

In my prior vehicle, I had the free satellite demo for a few months, as I do now. Just like in my previous demo months, I notice a diminished sound quality from satellite. Seems like there is a lot of compression and loss.

Is the demo version degraded?

As an aside, is there a way to get rid of the satellite selection on the audio control panel if I don't have a sat subscription?
Old 03-12-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Here is my quote from another thread
Originally Posted by k.b.
I have been mostly listening to my USB stick since my upgrade, and I have enjoyed the improved sound, but I though I should listen to some Sirius while it is still free. A song came on that I turned up to max and I thought something was wrong with my system. As it finished, I found the same song on my usb and OMG what a difference. How can $irius sound so $#itty? The song was Supertramp Give A Little Bit and has some dynamic range, but I never imagined there would be that much difference. So, now I only listen to $irius when I want some low level background music. Anybody have any luck listening to $irius with different settings besides the adjusting the volume control?

And yes you can eliminate the choice using forscan. See the forscan sticky thread. Demo version is not downgraded, just music on Sirius is downgraded for all. Only good if you like to listen at elevator music sound levels.
The following users liked this post:
CosmicMiami (03-13-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 02:51 PM

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Sirius sounds good if you stream it through your phone.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Satellite wil always sound bad compared to say a Lossless file. It's a trade off I make for the non stop music that I want to listen to vs crap terrestrial radio.
I'm also a MECA member and SQL competitor....so sometimes it's tough but I deal with it.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by madmatt83
Sirius sounds good if you stream it through your phone.
There's different quality selections for online streaming.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN
Satellite wil always sound bad compared to say a Lossless file. It's a trade off I make for the non stop music that I want to listen to vs crap terrestrial radio.
I'm also a MECA member and SQL competitor....so sometimes it's tough but I deal with it.
Thanks. Obviously they don't have an investment in quality. I worked FM radio for several years with CD quality satellite sound for broadcast. I won't be using it once the demo expires. I'll stick to USB.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:48 AM

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Some channels are worse than others as well. Octane for rock is one of the worst for some reason. I stopped subscribing after awhile because I couldn't take it anymore (also used to be a SQL comp). There are better options on your phone that have better streaming quality. Even Pandora has a "high quality" setting now.
The following users liked this post:
CosmicMiami (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 07:14 AM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN
Try listening to Sirius in a Dodge with the upgraded speaker system. Sounds just as good as the USB stick. Wish I knew why they were different....
Old 03-13-2017, 07:54 AM
Boats n Does

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

I think a lot of it has to do with the processing in the head unit. Just a wild guess though.

I let my trial period lapse and just listen to Amazon, Spotify or the FM. Sirius in Fords is absolute garbage.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:05 AM

Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

Sirius in my wifes Hyundai Santa Fe sounds better than it does in my F150. Octane sounds awful in my F150, which sucks because it's one of my most listened to stations. In my wifes car, it's almost CD quality. Pretty sure I am just going to let the trial lapse in the truck.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the headunit processing as stated in the above post. I read somewhere Sony makes the headunits for Ford? Not surprising if that's the case. Sony is just not a good audio company. I know the stock speakers are not good, but when I listen to my iPhone streaming Spotify or even my own music on my phone, the sound quality is not that bad.

Last edited by BShadows; 03-13-2017 at 08:08 AM.