Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signal Blocking for key fob

Old 04-25-2017, 12:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Signal Blocking for key fob

Thought this was as good forum as any for this topic.
In my neighborhood, car break ins are going crazy. And it would appear they are targeting keyless entry vehicles. I even had a friend who had her Land Rover driven away. Thieves appear to be boosting the signal of keyless fobs to gain entry (or even starting vehicle). Which could just as easily happen to my 2015 F150. A friend down the street had her vehicle broken into twice last week this way. There is even security footage I recently found of this happening to people. Thieves are getting smarter.
I tested a few things last night, and the best was actually plain tin foil to block my signal. But I dont want to have to wrap my keys every day in tin foil. I found various RFID blocking bags that would work (technical term is a faraday cage). Was searching for some type of key box to hang on my wall that my wife and I could hang our keys inside and simply close (dont even need it to lock). If it is simple, we would actually do it. And of course that was signal protected. Many plain metal boxes do not seem to work. I tested an old ammo can and that didnt stop any signal.
This is a very knowledgeable (and sometimes paranoid ) forum, so thought someone might know something that I could not find. Otherwise I considered making one. Perhaps line heavy duty tin foil between some wood paneling. I dont want to hang some ugly box on my entrance way (well, I dont really care, but my wife would). And I am not a finish carpenter, so doubt anything I make would be very attractive.
I have a beautiful Lariat sitting in my driveway, and F150's are near the top of the list for theft. So getting concerned.
Any knowledge and experience is appreciated.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:06 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

If I had that much of a security concern I think I would have a camera setup and an alarm go off if any of the doors were opened.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:26 PM

It would have to be a separate alarm from the car alarm. Since that is disabled with fob. But that is exactly what my neighbor did. Not sure what they used. Working on cameras. but of course, cameras would just let me view them robbing my car the next morning.
I am definitely not a paranoid person, but car thefts in my city, and neighborhood, are getting crazy. And most cars on my hood are keyless.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:32 PM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

just disconnect the start button at night lol
Old 04-25-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Yeah, I was going to suggest a hidden kill switch somewhere inside.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:38 PM

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts

I would rather have them boost my fob signal and open my doors than breaking my windows or damaging my lock cylinder. As for immobilizing, the good old 'Club' (steering lock bar) is still the best. And don't keep valuables in the car. At least not visible.
The following users liked this post:
AMET (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't keep anything of value in the car.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you going to use a metal box you need to use some padding to insulate the fob from the box. I'm guessing a regular wall hung key box lined with foil and the some foam padding to put the keys on would work. Hardest part is sealing the door. Your ammo can would probably work if you just put some foam padding in it.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.askaprepper.com/10-farada...-make-at-home/

Ya a preppersite, but gives you the basics of making a faraday cage.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:07 PM

I get all that (dont keep valuables, use a club etc). But I am seeing most of the break ins are not getting anything valuable. Assume it is getting so easy that they can just rifle thru any vehicle just to check. Steal a few random things. Easier then breaking a window. So more likely to just do it.
I am trying to resolve the root cause, not deal with the outcome (in this thread).
@twolastnames- Good point about the padding. Otherwise the metal can act as a conductor perhaps? I came across many prepper sites about this. Just surprised there isnt better products on the market to deal with this issue. But it does seem to just now really be growing. With popularity of keyless. etc.
Found some university research from 2015 where they discovered this exploit. But unless car manufactures change there frequency then there is nothing to do about it. On a different frequency they vehicle and fob would be able to interpret distance (regardless of booster) and determine whether it was within a certain distance. Something to that affect.

Search this Thread