Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 04:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Angry Should I be worried?

Have had our 2018 5.0 Sport. Into the shop a few times now.Trying to fix the pinging,when under load.The compression test came back that cylinder 1,2 and 4 are at 15% lower then the rest. But after cool down,all are equal.They say this is acceptable and normal.
"Using IDS monitored high and low side fuel systems during test drive and found commanded and actual high side pressures did not match.a
Back at the shop commanded fuel control valve fully closed and relieved fuel pressure by loading engine and activating direct injection system.With valve fully closed and pressue released,monitored as pressure slowly increased,indicating fuel control valve leaking and needs to be replaced"
So now waiting for a new fuel pump.
See if that fixes the "pinging"
Also, going through a quart of oil between changes (8000 K's)
Owner of dealership,says he'll crunch some #'s hard,as we're done with this "New" truck. Just hit 17,000 K's
Old 06-13-2019, 05:38 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Call Ford Corporate and open a case. Your dealer can crunch all the numbers he wants, but he's almost certainly not going to take a loss to make you happy. If you want to talk buyback, extended warranties, or compensation, that's a Ford thing.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:06 PM

Called Ford, got a case opened and a case number.
They did a fuel pump swap.Made no difference.
So now,we wait for a response from Detroit (hotline),as what to try next.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My personal opinion, the direct injection 5.0 has taken a real ****. My 2015 5.0 Mustang was a screamer and never had a problems. Ran 11.30 at 122 with a stick and normal mods (still naturally aspirated). When the 2018 mustang came out with the 10 speed I traded the '15 in because I "gotta have it".. Motor sounded like a bucket of wet rocks between the pistons slapping the cylinder walls and the driver's side cam phaser rattling at 2k rpm. Got rid of that in 5 months. Traded that in for my 18 2.7 F150 and have never been happier.
The following users liked this post:
Nicklaus (06-14-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 10:04 AM

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by 2018F150black
The compression test came back that cylinder 1,2 and 4 are at 15% lower then the rest. But after cool down,all are equal.They say this is acceptable and normal.
Also, going through a quart of oil between changes (8000 K's)
"As a rule, most engines should have 140 to 160 lbs. of cranking compression with no more than 10% difference between any of the cylinders.
Low compression in one cylinder usually indicates a bad exhaust valve. Low compression in two adjacent cylinders typically means you have a bad head gasket. Low compression in all cylinders would tell you the rings and cylinders are worn and the engine needs to be overhauled."
Are you sure you didn't get the difference swapped between hot and cold readings? Usually the case is there is more difference with a cold engine because of looser tolerances.
One quart of oil at 8000 miles is nothing to be worried about. I'd say you have good ring and valve seals. One quart at 1000 miles I'd be on the phone to Ford even though they say do say it's considered normal.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wicked ace
"As a rule, most engines should have 140 to 160 lbs. of cranking compression with no more than 10% difference between any of the cylinders.
Low compression in one cylinder usually indicates a bad exhaust valve. Low compression in two adjacent cylinders typically means you have a bad head gasket. Low compression in all cylinders would tell you the rings and cylinders are worn and the engine needs to be overhauled."
Are you sure you didn't get the difference swapped between hot and cold readings? Usually the case is there is more difference with a cold engine because of looser tolerances.
One quart of oil at 8000 miles is nothing to be worried about. I'd say you have good ring and valve seals. One quart at 1000 miles I'd be on the phone to Ford even though they say do say it's considered normal.
I typed it out word for word.From the Mechanics Findings (report)
Will have to ask more questions when we take it back in.
Thanks for the response.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:45 AM

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by 2018F150black
I typed it out word for word.From the Mechanics Findings (report)
Will have to ask more questions when we take it back in.
Thanks for the response.
When you go back and they start giving the mumbo jumbo ask where the specs are given in published documentation. Don't take their word if you are not comfortable or understand their answers.
The following users liked this post:
2018F150black (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Wicked ace
When you go back and they start giving the mumbo jumbo ask where the specs are given in published documentation. Don't take their word if you are not comfortable or understand their answers.
Just sent email/request to the Owner of the dealership.
Thanks
Old 07-01-2019, 03:56 PM

Update
Dealership is going ahead with the "long block" replacement.
If that fails, it'll be the "Buy back" program.
See how long it takes to get the long block?
I'm thinking 2-3 months.

Quick Reply: Should I be worried?