Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Advancetrac/ Hill Descent Control Fault

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 07:01 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Default Service Advancetrac/ Hill Descent Control Fault

Driving to work this morning in a nice downpour of freezing rain/sleet, in 4wd, feel a little pull to the left and I lift my foot off the gas, next thing I know the dash is flashing the 'Service Advancetrac' and 'Hill Descent Control Fault' warnings. Nobody else on the road so I slow down and it just keep cycling between the two. Traction control light lit up...

Then I stop. don't remember if I hit 'ok' before or after the 'Hill Start Assist not available' (or something similar, didn't get a picture) flashed up.

Drove slowly to a parking lot, pulled in, shut the truck off, started it up and everything seemed normal.

Didn't notice a loss of power when the warnings came on but it wasn't like I was going to really test it, the roads were pretty nasty this morning so I was never heavy on the throttle.

Calling the dealer when they open.

Seems this is what I get for coming in to work early since between the phone calls (canceling school), plow trucks going by, etc I was awake anyway and I've got a ton on my desk right now.

Taking the truck in Thursday for the door locks (assuming they have the parts, I'll ask them about that this morning too I guess).

From everything I've read, seems most people have had either throttle body or steering rack replaced...and at least a few who have had the throttle body replaced have had the problem return. I don't recall reading any threads that mentioned being in 4wd at the time and most seemed to involve the EB.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:11 AM
Wait, I can change this?

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had a similar error pop up mine was hill start assist instead of descent control, I talked to my dealer when it happened and they said it could most likely be a sensor that was getting gummed up but i was to bring it in if it did it more often, sense then it's done it twice with no noticable changes in driving and it was in nasty road conditions like yours each time
Old 01-24-2017, 07:12 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Throttle body seems to be the culprit from your description. Isn't just the EB's.

If the service department hasn't seen this before I'd share the information with them.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by idrive
Throttle body seems to be the culprit from your description. Isn't just the EB's.

If the service department hasn't seen this before I'd share the information with them.
Talked to them a few minutes ago but didn't get into details as to what seems to be the cause. I'll be bringing it to drop it off once someone else shows up here at the office.

I agree that the general consensus seems to be that the throttle body is the culprit, my concern is that some people have had the problem come back.

I'll mention the throttle body when I drop it off. I've only dealt with the two new (old) guys once. The guys I dealt with before were both great, not sure what happened to them but both are gone.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I had same issue in summer, told them I supspected throttle body, they agreed and changed it. No since issues
Old 01-24-2017, 01:12 PM

They just called. Said the code it threw was 'Steering Position Angle Sensor Signal Failure' and that they tested it and it passes all of the tests.

Not thrilled at all because I doubt that the sensor is fine or it would not have had the fault in the first place.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:56 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I would still push for a throttle body replacement. When mine did that it still ran fine after turning off and back on (made it home 140 miles from hunting). there has been too many known issues for them not to replace it. Should have been recalled!
Old 01-26-2017, 04:45 AM

Received 153 Likes on 87 Posts

I got a 13 fx4 with the ecoboost and mine had the same thing I was driving slow in a parking lot shut the truck off came back few hours later and everything worked fine couple days later started feeling some resistance in the steering wheel told the dealer they remember one of the sensors in the steering rack couple weeks later backing out of my drive had a total failure of my steering rack dealer replaced steering rack and knock on wood so far so good
Old 01-26-2017, 08:36 AM

Did either of you lose power when it happened? (Not that it matters because I have no idea if I did or not, roads were nasty, I don't think I went over 1/3 throttle the whole way to work.) but that seems to be linked to the throttle body issue.

Right before it happened, I did get yanked to the right pretty suddenly with the wheel still straight. I know the steering angle sensor is compared to the yaw and thrust sensors as part of the stability control but if the truck saw something that didn't make sense, I'm not sure throwing a bunch of warnings but not actually doing anything makes sense to me unless it didn't know what to do.

They said they would test it again when they have it for the door locks (which was supposed to be today but they do not have the parts).

The potential for a steering failure makes me nervous and it seems to me that it is likely either throttle body related or the sensor (or rack) is on its way out.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2015 F150 Lariat 3.5 ecoboost with just over 9,000 miles on it. I have loved my truck for a lot of reasons, but have often been nervous of the mounting problems others have experienced on this forum.

I haven't had a large enough complaint/problem to have to fight with the service department yet. However, today I experienced the Advancetrac service message. I also had a check rear park aid, hill decent fault, and hill start assist not available. It happened while driving in my neighborhood with dry roads going around 20 mph. I was almost home and a couple hours later started my truck and still had the same error messages.

After driving out of my allotment the message cleared and my truck is now driving normally again. I am starting to get nervous because I have read a lot about sudden loss of power associated with this and throttle body failures. I made an appointment for next week but I am afraid the dealer won't see any codes and send me on my way.

Hopefully, a Ford service representative will review this to help in the process.

Since this is my first time having a big enough issue to seek warranty work I will compile my other issues I have experienced and that I have seen reported from others on this forum:

-Poor body alignment/spacing around front bumper and corner panels
-Driver door seal breaking while driving down the road over small bumps
-Harsh downshifting while in cruise control
-Stretched/wrinkled leather seat covers
-Poor seat cooling
-Squealing cooling fan after turning engine off
-Grinding harsh sound from front axle with 4x4 engaged

I am really starting to regret purchasing this truck as much as I have enjoyed it. Reliability after warranty is a huge concern for me. Hopefully I have a good experience from my service department and will update accordingly.

Quick Reply: Service Advancetrac/ Hill Descent Control Fault