Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety of front seat belts on a SCab

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Safety of front seat belts on a SCab

So in all honesty I had never thought about this. We were unloading some stuff from the back of the cab last night and my girlfriend brought up something that has me thinking. She pointed out with the fact that the front seat belt meets the rear door what would happen in a side impact or rollover and the doors pop? If they did it would render the seat belts pretty much useless for the front passengers. There is no solid B pillar. It is essentially floating. Now she used to be an EMT and was exposed to many crash scenarios so I could see why she would have this line of thinking.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 07-23-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 362 Likes on 231 Posts

I thought about that as well on my 15 Lariat super cab! It also bothered me that the 15 super cabs didn't have the crash bars in front.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Garemlin
So in all honesty I had never thought about this. We were unloading some stuff from the back of the cab last night and my girlfriend brought up something that has me thinking. She pointed out with the fact that the front seat belt meets the rear door what would happen in a side impact or rollover and the doors pop? If they did it would render the seat belts pretty much useless for the front passengers. There is no solid B pillar. It is essentially floating. Now she used to be an EMT and was exposed to many crash scenarios so I could see why she would have this line of thinking.

Any thoughts on this?
You can't be serious with this question
Old 07-23-2017, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Iamraiderpower
You can't be serious with this question
Why am I not serious? Apparently from the post after mine I'm not the only one who thought about this at one time. So tell me why it is such a ridiculous thought? If the doors pop the top of the seat belt is not attached to anything. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:48 AM

you think the NHSTA just hands out 5 star crash test ratings? Does the top rating for IIHS mean anything?
Old 07-23-2017, 11:00 AM

you think the NHSTA just hands out 5 star crash test ratings? Does the top rating for IIHS mean anything?
While I appreciate your attempt to make me look stupid, that still doesn't answer the question I asked about what would happen in this particular scenario. If the doors were to pop, which in certain situations can happen, what is the fail-safe? Again I don't think it is a really stupid question and if I'm missing something obvious please school me.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:04 AM

While I appreciate your attempt to make me look stupid, that still doesn't answer the question I asked about what would happen in this particular scenario. If the doors were to pop, which in certain situations can happen, what is the fail-safe? Again I don't think it is a really stupid question and if I'm missing something obvious please school me.
I'm a firefighter/medic of over 15+ years, you are safe in that truck. The fail safe is, in a collision the seat belts lock down and will prevent that door from flying open. It will take more inertia than that truck can create for not only the front door to separate but to also make the rear door come unlatched. The rear doors have 2 latches that mount to the body, this creates a B pillar. You are safe now quit worrying.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:06 AM

I'm a firefighter/medic of over 15+ years, you are safe in that truck. The fail safe is, in a collision the seat belts lock down and will prevent that door from flying open. It will take more inertia than that truck can create for not only the front door to separate but to also make the rear door come unlatched. The rear doors have 2 latches that mount to the body, this creates a B pillar. You are safe now quit worrying.
Thank you. That is the answer I was looking for.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:08 AM

Thank you. That is the answer I was looking for.
I need more coffee before I read the forums anymore this morning