Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rousch Cold Air Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rousch Cold Air Kit

I have a 2016 F150 Lariat 3.5 twin turbo with 11,702 miles on the odometer. About 3000 miles back I installed a Rousch Cold Air kit. The sales manager at the Ford store I purchased the truck from told me the cold air kit was fine with no warranty issue. I also called Ford direct and got the same answer. As you all know, Rousch is affiliated with Ford. Now comes the bad news....this morning got a check engine light. Since my purchase dealer is about 40 miles away, I went to a local dealer about 10 miles away. The code was P04DB "after market air box and filter causing a no vacuum condition on drivers side" and "poor crankcase ventilation". After much discussion with the service tech and service manager, and viewing the Ford service hotline showing many reports of the same problem, they told me the Cold Air Kit was a no no and I would have to re-install the stock system. Because the air box and filter (plus intake tubes) were not factory, they could not warranty the diagnostic time. I paid a reduced charge of $75.55. Next I called the service department at my purchasing dealer and got the same story. Anything on the motor sensors or systems that are connected to the air intake system will not be covered by factory warranty. So....I just finished putting the stock system back on. I also called Rousch Tech support and the rep told me to put the air silencers back in and the P04DB code would be fixed. That's all good, but I would still have the warranty issue. I blew a lot of money based upon false info from my purchase dealer sales manager and someone at Ford customer service. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Old 11-03-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Seems pretty clear to me. You installed non-Ford parts on the vehicle. The vehicle thew a code that specifies that those parts caused an issue. Dealer diagnosed the cause, non-Ford parts. Therefore, you pay for the diagnosis. I believe your dealer and Ford were telling you that IF you had a warranty covered issue, that perhaps those parts wouldn't be blamed. In this case, the parts ARE causing an issue, and the diagnosis of that is not covered.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow. Why don't you check for a vacuum leak before the sky falls... Seems like the dealer is just being too lazy to actually diagnose the problem and just blaming the intake (which it very well may be, but generally these aren't a problem as they don't do much of anything really).

Did the code clear when the stock intake was replaced?
Old 11-03-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

I've had a clamp loosen up and got a light on my old 5.4. Tightened every thing up, cleared the code and never got a light again.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:31 AM

JC-Lariat
They took me out to the shop, showed me the diagnostic report and also the Ford service hot line, which revealed that many service departments had the same issue with after market intake systems. The tech showed me the sensor and explained the problem. We discussed at length, so they did spend nearly an hour running diagnostics. The code cleared. Expensive lesson learned! I blew $400 bucks on a system that Ford will not accept in spite of claims by Rousch on their web site.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same code come up with my AFE intake. They designed a small pipe that went into one of the intake tubes that took care of it. Something different between the 15 and 16 trucks where its needed on the 16 and not the 15.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:10 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by sov71746
JC-Lariat
They took me out to the shop, showed me the diagnostic report and also the Ford service hot line, which revealed that many service departments had the same issue with after market intake systems. The tech showed me the sensor and explained the problem. We discussed at length, so they did spend nearly an hour running diagnostics. The code cleared. Expensive lesson learned! I blew $400 bucks on a system that Ford will not accept in spite of claims by Rousch on their web site.
Again, I don't think you understand the warranty. Ford is NOT saying your factory warranty is voided. They are saying that your non-factory parts are causing an issue, as the diagnostics are stating.

Imagine you buy your own tires. One blows, and rips apart the wheel well. You bring it to them, they research and find out these are NOT OE tires. They charge you for the discovery.

Last edited by Ricktwuhk; 11-03-2017 at 10:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
isthatahemi (11-04-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by sov71746
JC-Lariat
Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Again, I don't think you understand the warranty. Ford is NOT saying your factory warranty is voided. They are saying that your non-factory parts are causing an issue, as are the diagnostics.

Imagine you buy your own tires. One blows, and rips apart the wheel well. You bring it to them, they research and find out these are OE tires. They charge you for the discovery.
He understands fine. He's explaining his experience to the other poster. Says "Expensive lesson learned! I blew $400 bucks on a system that Ford will not accept in spite of claims by Rousch on their web site". And your tire/wheel example doesn't make hold true as you're using OEM parts. the OP was not.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:48 PM

Ricktwuhk.....What's not to understand? Both Ford service managers specifically told me any systems or sensors associated with and any repairs or replacements associated with the Rousch or other Mfg. after market air box, tubes and filter would not be covered by Ford warranty. Seems clear to me.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

I would do what Rousch said to do and put the intake back on. If it trips a light again, get a code reader and clear the code and send the intake back to Rousch.

But if it does not trip a light, you'll be happy you got it figured out. And you would be doing folks a favor by sharing your information. That's called "hot rodding".