Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle 2016 3.5 ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle 2016 3.5 ecoboost

53k miles and noticing Trouble with rough hunting idle, rpms jump around. Vibration felt in floorboard and noticable shake on passenger seat. Intermittent when stopping at stoplight or when parked. I've taken it to my local dealer but no help. No misfire codes.
I've replaced plugs sp580 gapped .029 , KAM reset, new coil packs and had dealer do induction service but no change to the problem. Checked for vacuum leaks.
Seen another post with similar problem but no post on the fix. Any help or ideas? Could it be wiring harness problem or would a tuner to increase idle rpms fix it? Thanks
Old 04-19-2019, 10:46 PM
Hold my beer

Received 435 Likes on 282 Posts

Just out of curiosity, does your truck see a lot of static driving in lower range RPMs? Reason I ask is because a handful of our police fleet EB Explorers have the same type of issues. These cars see a lot of idle time and low rpm driving, which is what the dealer blames it on.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:54 PM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

Tow something or give it an italian tune-up? The ecos that seem to work best are those that are driven hard or tow a lot.

Originally Posted by jbone36
Just out of curiosity, does your truck see a lot of static driving in lower range RPMs? Reason I ask is because a handful of our police fleet EB Explorers have the same type of issues. These cars see a lot of idle time and low rpm driving, which is what the dealer blames it on.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:28 PM

I do not idle the truck much at all. I run it hard now and then. Pulling a trailer happens quite frequently too about once a week.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by rws201
53k miles and noticing Trouble with rough hunting idle, rpms jump around. Vibration felt in floorboard and noticable shake on passenger seat. Intermittent when stopping at stoplight or when parked. I've taken it to my local dealer but no help. No misfire codes.
I've replaced plugs sp580 gapped .029 , KAM reset, new coil packs and had dealer do induction service but no change to the problem. Checked for vacuum leaks.
Seen another post with similar problem but no post on the fix. Any help or ideas? Could it be wiring harness problem or would a tuner to increase idle rpms fix it? Thanks
I have the same issue - 2013 3.5 ecoboost with timing chain/phaser repair and new leadframe….no codes being thrown

Quick Reply: Rough idle 2016 3.5 ecoboost