Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofit tow mirrors with Blis to my 2018 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 11:52 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Retrofit tow mirrors with Blis to my 2018 XLT

Just purchased a 2018 F150, XLT, 4x4, FX4, max tow, has Blis w/trailer tow monitoring. Did not have tow mirrors. The Blis seems to work so far, just driving around town. I will be towing my enclosed car trailer (24 ft, v-nose, 8.5 ft wide) occasionally (5-10 times a year) and would like extending tow mirrors. Been reading soooo much on tow mirrors and the F150 past few years, my head is spinning. Seems maybe Blis and tow mirrors co-existing have changed a little. Apparently my XLT cannot come from factory with Blis and tow mirrors, but the higher end models (Lariat, etc) can. So my goal is to replace my current mirrors (power, manual fold, blis, led spotlights) with tow mirrors that have blis, spotlight, manual telescope and fold.

Anybody know if this Ford mirror might work (plug and play) for me? : https://www.fordgenuineautoparts.com...MtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz

It has a rear facing camera, which my current mirrors don't have, but if the rest of the functions will work, I might be ok with it. Could not find a Ford part# that doesn't have at least one camera that also has Blis. I guess that's because the mirrors came only on the higher end F150 models, that also came with more cameras.

Anyway, any thoughts and suggestions much appreciated!
Old 07-05-2018, 03:03 PM

Received 1,585 Likes on 950 Posts

I'm guessing the biggest issue you'll have is the wiring/circuits....they won't match. If you want everything to work, better be good reading wiring schematics.

Otherwise, physically they should bolt right on.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:25 PM

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by dalola
I'm guessing the biggest issue you'll have is the wiring/circuits....they won't match. If you want everything to work, better be good reading wiring schematics.

Otherwise, physically they should bolt right on.
I don't think that is an issue. Take one off to see if you have an 8 pin or 22 pin harness at the door. With BLIS I think a 22 pin should be there. The reason I told you to post here there are many more knowledgable than I that know what is or is not plug and play with Forscan.
The following users liked this post:
toy4speed (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Size Matters

Received 3,359 Likes on 1,698 Posts

You're not going to find a trailer tow mirror with power fold and power extend that's going to be plug-n-play for your XLT.

The XLT lacks 6 wires in the cab harness to support power extend. The door harnesses lack all wiring to support power fold and power extend. Door modules would need to be programmed to support power fold. Window switch also would need to be changed.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by tmcolegr
You're not going to find a trailer tow mirror with power fold and power extend that's going to be plug-n-play for your XLT.

The XLT lacks 6 wires in the cab harness to support power extend. The door harnesses lack all wiring to support power fold and power extend. Door modules would need to be programmed to support power fold. Window switch also would need to be changed.
Yes, but I don't want a tow mirror with power fold or power extend. There appear to be tow mirrors that are manually extended, and manually folded, that might also support Blis. That Ford mirror that I linked seems to be close except for the rear facing camera. It otherwise seems to only have the functions (electrically) of my current mirrors.

I appreciate your response, and have seen some threads/videos of doors opened up, switches and modules replaced, to get many new functions. Not my goal.

Ford really laid an egg on this.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:55 PM
Size Matters

You're confused...

the rear facing camera they are referring to is on the tailgate. Those mirrors are power fold and extend.

Ford does not offer a manual fold and extend trailer tow mirror with BLIS.

You also need to be careful. Later build 2018 F150s have relocated the AAT sensor from behind the grill to the RH mirror.

Last edited by tmcolegr; 07-05-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by tmcolegr
You're confused...

the rear facing camera they are referring to is on the tailgate. Those mirrors are power fold and extend.

Ford does not offer a manual fold and extend trailer tow mirror with BLIS.

You also need to be careful. Later build 2018 F150s have relocated the AAT sensor from behind the grill to the RH mirror.
Hell yeah, I'm confused! But you have helped clarify a few things for me, so I am getting learned. In the description for the Ford mirror, it is referring to my truck having a rear camera, and no front or side cameras? Thanks for helping with that. If I had to rewire the door and swap door switches, I won't make the change. Thanks again for helping with that part too. Totally surprised about the AAT sensor, but good info too. That in all models or just high end packages?
Old 07-05-2018, 06:28 PM
Size Matters

Ford's descriptions are notoriously inaccurate. That's why you should always order off of a VIN# that has the options you want. Here's a copy of the SSM that defines the AAT sensor relocation and I have attached a document that although part #s don't apply to 2018s, the rest of the document is accurate.

SSM 47342 - 2018 F150 Excluding Raptor - Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) Sensor Located in Exterior Mirror - Built On Or After 10-Mar-2018

2018 F150 vehicles excluding Raptor built at Dearborn Truck Plant on or after 26-Feb-2018 and at Kansas City Assembly Plant on or after 10-Mar-2018 have the AAT sensor located in the right exterior mirror. The AAT sensor was relocated from the front grill/fascia area. The AAT sensor is serviced separately from the mirror. Refer to Ambient Air Temperature Sensor GSB G0000178 for additional information.
Attached Files
Old 07-05-2018, 08:20 PM

very good info! thanks for sharing! parts descriptions are like a different language. maybe the funky clip ons are my best option.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TOY$SPEED, I am having the same issue, max trailer tow with regular mirrors with bliss want to swap to the bigger trailer tow mirrors like you vwith no power just led puddle and heat, so eithert the 8 or 22 pin. I don't need bliss to work, it was a feature that came with the truck, my question is will it work if I clear the bliss code using an obd2 scanner and forskin, or am I screwed with a late 2018 build due to the AAT sensor on the driver side mirror, What would happen if i just did not care or connect he AAT sensor?

Or if i go with clip/slip ons will they affect anything like bliss/puddle/AAT/Turn Signal ETC,,,,???

Lastly is there a clip on model brand anyone recommends? found a bunch and they all have 5 stars which is always a red flag for me.

Originally Posted by toy4speed
Just purchased a 2018 F150, XLT, 4x4, FX4, max tow, has Blis w/trailer tow monitoring. Did not have tow mirrors. The Blis seems to work so far, just driving around town. I will be towing my enclosed car trailer (24 ft, v-nose, 8.5 ft wide) occasionally (5-10 times a year) and would like extending tow mirrors. Been reading soooo much on tow mirrors and the F150 past few years, my head is spinning. Seems maybe Blis and tow mirrors co-existing have changed a little. Apparently my XLT cannot come from factory with Blis and tow mirrors, but the higher end models (Lariat, etc) can. So my goal is to replace my current mirrors (power, manual fold, blis, led spotlights) with tow mirrors that have blis, spotlight, manual telescope and fold.

Anybody know if this Ford mirror might work (plug and play) for me? : https://www.fordgenuineautoparts.com...MtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz

It has a rear facing camera, which my current mirrors don't have, but if the rest of the functions will work, I might be ok with it. Could not find a Ford part# that doesn't have at least one camera that also has Blis. I guess that's because the mirrors came only on the higher end F150 models, that also came with more cameras.

Anyway, any thoughts and suggestions much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Retrofit tow mirrors with Blis to my 2018 XLT