Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retractable Running Boards

Old 01-04-2018, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Retractable Running Boards

I really want to replace the boards on my truck with retractable ones. I understand why the factory running boards are so high for offroading on the Raptor. Problem is that I can't get in an out of my truck easily enough. The question is does anyone have any experience with the Ford ones or the aftermarkets? I want to do something there?

Thanks!

Neil
Old 01-04-2018, 08:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I really like the idea of retractable boards, but not sold on the longevity of the mechanism. I have driven a few trucks with them and while they are nice to use, with kids in and out all the time and winter mess and water constantly hitting those moving parts I just don't know how long they could hold up.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:33 AM

Received 1,329 Likes on 797 Posts

Have rented trucks with OE and have a neighbor with AMP aftermarket. It's close but I think I like the AMP better. They are faster and I like being able to raise and lower as I want. Both are way nicer than the ones that don't retract. When I get some, I intend to setup such that they have a manual cutoff for ice buildup and extend anytime the truck is in park. I don't like the constant up/down with the OE settings. Also had them hit the shin a couple of times when grabbing the door handle and they extend.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:30 AM

Received 69 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a buddy on here who put the AMP steps on his 2013 F150. We were just talking the other day about how much he likes them. I ordered my truck with them and certainly am glad I did.

As for mine I've put them through the ringer. They've been covered in mud and not washed for months, through plenty of rain and submerged water( I live in Houston and dealt with the hurricane). I've driven around the ranch plenty and thrown dirt/rocks at them and still have not had an issue. They're coming up on 2.5 years old.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 337 Likes on 213 Posts

I had the OEM retractable running boards on my 2010 Platinum and they lasted 8 years and 168k miles without a single problem before trading it in.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the AMP aftermarket plug and plays as well....No trucks on the lot had the factory version when I was looking, and I even asked if they would add them for me, and the dealership said it would be much cheaper to go with the AMP, I did, and I am so glad i did it.

Cant speak to longevity though since I have only had mine about 6 months.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:12 AM
jpboats

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Boards

Had many trucks. Had ford, and amp. Amp I believe is more durable tread wise. They are faster. They are rugged ,but so were the fords. Did have amps fail and ford. So I think they are about the same.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:13 AM

Received 260 Likes on 156 Posts

This is my third F150 with them and have never had a problem. If it is really cold, they sometimes are a bit slower to extend. It was -27C here this morning and no issues at all when I got to work (I do park in a heated garage overnight though). In the last five years I have seen less than 5 on the road that appeared to have frozen or stopped working in the down position. I would not buy a truck without them.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 426 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeronimo21
I think I really like the idea of retractable boards, but not sold on the longevity of the mechanism. I have driven a few trucks with them and while they are nice to use, with kids in and out all the time and winter mess and water constantly hitting those moving parts I just don't know how long they could hold up.
Had AMP power steps on my 2012 for 5 years with ZERO problems. Live in New England with lots of snow and ice. Only maintenance required was spraying moving joints with lubricant every 6 months or so......

Already have them on my 2017 and it's the best mod I've done to my truck...

The following 2 users liked this post by cthusker:
Kira (01-31-2018), welder1 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

I puchased mine from 4wheelparts. They had a free install promotion and price matched another online offer. $1399.00 pus tax installed out the door. I've had on since april with no problems. No regrets and would buy them again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Retractable Running Boards