Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing windshield of 2018 Lariat 502A

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 08:03 PM

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts
Default replacing windshield of 2018 Lariat 502A

i have a small crack in the bottom of my windshield that safelite were unable to seal. I have been putting off having the windshield replaced, but i really need to get this fixed.
I did get a quote from the safelite technician who could not repair the window.....$1300 which i baulked at.
Today i went to the safelite website m put in my VIN and other information required. I have lane keeping assist and rain sensing wipers. Quote from the website is $569.99 ! so i have no idea what is going on there.
They also offer to recalibrate the advanced driver assistance system for an additional $300

I also went to my local dealership, they don't do glass and put me in contact with a local glass company.
So off to them and they quoted $1200 with no recalibration, they said it is unnecessary.

So questions are
What have others paid for having the OEM Carlex glass replaced on a 2018 Lariat with Lane keeping assist and rain sensing wipers?
Do i need the re-calibration?

thanks

Would you like us to recalibrate your Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS)?

Old 12-28-2018, 04:22 PM

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the same windshield in my 2017 Lariat 502A with soundscreen, lane keep assist, and rain sensing wipers. Took a rock off it the other day that quickly spread to a foot long crack above the drivers side wiper. Stopped by Safelite today to make an appointment to have it replaced Monday morning. While I was making the appointment my insurance company approved replacement using a Ford oem windshield and no out of pocket cost to me. Safelite looked the truck over and is aware of the oem windshield that it requires (currently have 2 in stock at their warehouse). I'll let you know how the replacement goes on Monday.
The following users liked this post:
Swordmaster (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 09:36 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Granted mine is a '15 but I have lane keep assist and rain sensing wipers. I paid $395 installed for the sound screen windshield. This particular fellow has been changing windshields in Ford trucks for 30 years (friend at the dealership recommended him) He told me that if done correctly the calibration should not be needed.

He was right. Find someone that has experience doing this and you should be able to get by without the calibration.

Last edited by idrive; 12-28-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Swordmaster (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 10:43 PM
Old Fart

Received 297 Likes on 222 Posts

Your insurance should cover it. Big safety issue. Ask them for a recommendation.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I hear this all the time, the glass guy says it’s not necessary, this information is wrong. It frustrates me that people don’t educate themselves about their profession. These cameras are looking 100’s of feet down the road, even a slight misalignment of the camera will have drastic affects on what it sees 300 to 500 feet from the vehicle. Even aftermarket glass can have a negative affect on camera performance, this can be caused by misalignment or clarity issues. Many of the vehicle manufacturers want OE glass used if the vehicle has a camera. This is what my company does, we have all the factory scan tools and proper equipment to do calibrations of cameras and sensors when things are damaged or a procedure is required due to a collision, we work directly with Body and glass shops. Your insurance company will cover all required procedures.

This is straight from the factory ford website for a 2018 Ford F-150

The IPMA camera alignment procedure should be performed when any of the following occur:
 Windshield replacement
 Change in tire size
 Suspension repair or alignment
 Front air bag deployment
 Interior mirror replacement

If you have any questions or need any more info, feel free to PM me

Gary T
The following 2 users liked this post by Airbagguy:
4ever2wheels (12-31-2018), Swordmaster (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 04:11 AM
Gone Golfin

Originally Posted by Airbagguy
I hear this all the time, the glass guy says it’s not necessary, this information is wrong. It frustrates me that people don’t educate themselves about their profession. These cameras are looking 100’s of feet down the road, even a slight misalignment of the camera will have drastic affects on what it sees 300 to 500 feet from the vehicle. Even aftermarket glass can have a negative affect on camera performance, this can be caused by misalignment or clarity issues. Many of the vehicle manufacturers want OE glass used if the vehicle has a camera. This is what my company does, we have all the factory scan tools and proper equipment to do calibrations of cameras and sensors when things are damaged or a procedure is required due to a collision, we work directly with Body and glass shops. Your insurance company will cover all required procedures.

This is straight from the factory ford website for a 2018 Ford F-150

The IPMA camera alignment procedure should be performed when any of the following occur:
 Windshield replacement
 Change in tire size
 Suspension repair or alignment
 Front air bag deployment
 Interior mirror replacement

If you have any questions or need any more info, feel free to PM me

Gary T
You're twisting words. "IF done correctly the calibration shouldn't be needed" Why would I spend $300 when everything works perfectly after the replacement? If it didn't work correctly that would be different.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by idrive
You're twisting words. "IF done correctly the calibration shouldn't be needed" Why would I spend $300 when everything works perfectly after the replacement? If it didn't work correctly that would be different.
I’m not trying to twist anyone’s words. What is “done correctly”? Ford says if the windshield is replaced, camera alignment should be done. I understand if you’re paying out of pocket, then you have the right to do what you want, it’s your truck, your saftey, or is it?

The windshield camera is used for, Lane Keep Assist, Pre Collision Assist, and Pedestrian Warning. How will you know if everything was done correctly? What will happen if not done correctly? Let’s say you’re driving along city streets and a child darts out in front of you, you fail to react in time and you run the child over in your 5000 pound truck. Did the system work as intended? If it were my truck, and I was the one who made the decision not to calibrate the camera because I didn’t want to spend $300 and it seemed like everything was working as intended, I’d be beating myself up over the fact that I was too cheep to do the right thing after spending 60-70k on a vehicle. I have several friends that are in the windshield business. Many of them were under the impression that if they simply removed the camera from the old windshield, never unplugged it, and reinstalled it on the new windshield, a calibration wasn’t necessary. No warning lights on, no codes stored, everything must be ok, WRONG! If something bad happens after the windshield was replaced, and a lawsuit ensues, the blame will fall on the glass shop for NOT calibrating the camera when the manufacturer stated it was required after windshield replacement. You can do what you want when it only involves you, but these saftey systems also protect other when you are not paying attention, and when something fails, some innocent person may be severely injured, or worse.

I know the examples I’ve used seem extreme, but the fact of the matter is, I own and operate a business in the United States, particularly in California. I need to think like a lawyer in everything I do, but more importantly, I have an obligation to the customer to do the “right” thing. If you came to me and wanted me to replace your windshield without calibration, I would turn down the entire job, plain and simple.

Gary T
The following 2 users liked this post by Airbagguy:
dutch. (12-17-2020), Ricktwuhk (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 10:13 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

I’m not trying to twist anyone’s words. What is “done correctly”? Ford says if the windshield is replaced, camera alignment should be done. I understand if you’re paying out of pocket, then you have the right to do what you want, it’s your truck, your saftey, or is it?

The windshield camera is used for, Lane Keep Assist, Pre Collision Assist, and Pedestrian Warning. How will you know if everything was done correctly? What will happen if not done correctly? Let’s say you’re driving along city streets and a child darts out in front of you, you fail to react in time and you run the child over in your 5000 pound truck. Did the system work as intended? If it were my truck, and I was the one who made the decision not to calibrate the camera because I didn’t want to spend $300 and it seemed like everything was working as intended, I’d be beating myself up over the fact that I was too cheep to do the right thing after spending 60-70k on a vehicle. I have several friends that are in the windshield business. Many of them were under the impression that if they simply removed the camera from the old windshield, never unplugged it, and reinstalled it on the new windshield, a calibration wasn’t necessary. No warning lights on, no codes stored, everything must be ok, WRONG! If something bad happens after the windshield was replaced, and a lawsuit ensues, the blame will fall on the glass shop for NOT calibrating the camera when the manufacturer stated it was required after windshield replacement. You can do what you want when it only involves you, but these saftey systems also protect other when you are not paying attention, and when something fails, some innocent person may be severely injured, or worse.

I know the examples I’ve used seem extreme, but the fact of the matter is, I own and operate a business in the United States, particularly in California. I need to think like a lawyer in everything I do, but more importantly, I have an obligation to the customer to do the “right” thing. If you came to me and wanted me to replace your windshield without calibration, I would turn down the entire job, plain and simple.

Gary T
Well said. I don't know how any driver can determine that all systems are working properly.

The reason we buy insurance is to insure vehicles for damage. I have zero glass on both vehicles, which I pay a small additional premium for. 2018 Fusion Energi has all the doo-dahs, and I would insist on all systems being checked properly.

Coincidentally, just got a chip in the 2013 F-150, first one. Will be contacting my insurance company next week to see if a fix is possible, vs. replacing the entire windshield. They prefer to try that as I recall.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:00 PM
Gone Golfin

Gary T
Everything works exactly the same now as it did before. You must turn down a lot of business because not everyone that has their windshield replaced uses insurance to pay for it.

Gotta Love fear mongering and Commiefornia, especially when using to upsell a very expensive service that may not be needed if you've done the work correctly.

I'd be willing to bet that MAYBE 1 out of 100 people have this service done when getting an alignment or changing the size of their tires. Here's hoping they haven't run any kids over yet.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by idrive
Everything works exactly the same now as it did before. You must turn down a lot of business because not everyone that has their windshield replaced uses insurance to pay for it.

Gotta Love fear mongering and Commiefornia, especially when using to upsell a very expensive service that may not be needed if you've done the work correctly.

I'd be willing to bet that MAYBE 1 out of 100 people have this service done when getting an alignment or changing the size of their tires. Here's hoping they haven't run any kids over yet.
Sound like you totally missed my point. Maybe 9 times out of 10 everything will be fine, but the one time it doesn’t work, you might not get a chance to say, I guess I should get that calibration done.

A shop hop we do work for unknowingly replaced the emblem in front of the precollision sensor with the wrong one. While driving and rounding sharp corners the vehicle would occasionally apply the brakes. Luckily no one was injured, but let’s say a semi was following too close and all of a sudden the vehicle abruptly applied the brakes, someone could have been injured. There were no warning lights, no fault codes, and a calibration was required because the shop removed the sensor. Had the shop done the required calibration after the repairs were completed, the problem would have been caught before the customer was put in harms way. We recently had another shop that removed the windshield (same windshield was reinstalled) to replace the headliner in an Acura MDX after curtain airbag deployment. After repairs were completed they asked us to calibrate the windshield camera as required by Acura. The vehicle did not have any fault codes and no warning lamps on. The vehicle failed the drive cycle calibration 4 times and now had warning lamps on as well as fault codes stored for failed calibration. When I informed the shop that it failed and now has a dash lit up like a christmas tree, they proceeded to say “you must have done something wrong, it didn’t have any issues before you tried to calibrate it”. The problem was an aftermarket windshield that was installed prior to the collision (Honda/Acura says you must use OE if the vehicle has a camera). Because the glass shop never calibrated the camera after windshield replacement, no one was aware of a problem, including the customer. We informed the shop that they would need to install a $1200 factory windshield, they did and the camera passed calibration the first time.

Maybe i do turn down a lot of business, but at least I can sleep at night knowing I did the right thing. I will never let money drive my decisionsq. As a business professional, it’s my job to look out for my customers and protect them from uneducated (on this topic) people like you.

Sorry, I’m not a confrontational person, but I’m very passionate about what I do.

Gary T
dutch. (12-17-2020)

Quick Reply: replacing windshield of 2018 Lariat 502A