Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote tailgate release = damage to truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 10:31 PM

Received 1,603 Likes on 904 Posts

Default Remote tailgate release = damage to truck

I'd like to thank the asshats @ Ford for the "remote tailgate release" button on my remote control. Specifically, for allowing it it open the tailgate DESPITE the truck being parked/locked for an extended period of time.

You know, it would be really great if, once the truck was locked up and the truck sat in the garage for 12 hours that pressing the remote tailgate release on the remote would NOT open the tailgate. Perhap require the door unlock to FIRST be pressed before the tailgate release would activate.

I park my truck in the garage. I close my garage door (remote/garage door opener) and the truck is a foot and a half or so away from the garage door. I can't see the truck BEFORE I open the garage door.

At some point, rummaging through the bowl of car keys on the fridge, the release for the tailgate must have been activated.

Unbeknownst to me, the tailgate flopped open against my close garage door.

Then ... when I opened the garage door with the remote, the garage door (and all the steel components such as brackets and screws on the door) scraped the SH*T out of my tailgate as it opened.

Ford Engineers: Thanks for the IGNORANT decision to allow the remote tailgate release to open the tailgate despite it being locked/parked for hours.

From now on, I can NEVER open my garage door without FIRST going into the garage to see if the tailgate was inadvertently opened at some point since the truck was parked.
The following users liked this post:
arcticdoggie (04-30-2015)

Popular Reply

04-29-2015, 10:48 PM
MarineLDO
Curmudgeon In Training

Received 132 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by roadPilot
I'd like to thank the asshats @ Ford for the "remote tailgate release" button on my remote control. Specifically, for allowing it it open the tailgate DESPITE the truck being parked/locked for an extended period of time.

You know, it would be really great if, once the truck was locked up and the truck sat in the garage for 12 hours that pressing the remote tailgate release on the remote would NOT open the tailgate. Perhap require the door unlock to FIRST be pressed before the tailgate release would activate.

I park my truck in the garage. I close my garage door (remote/garage door opener) and the truck is a foot and a half or so away from the garage door. I can't see the truck BEFORE I open the garage door.

At some point, rummaging through the bowl of car keys on the fridge, the release for the tailgate must have been activated.

Then ... when I opened the garage door with the remote, the garage door (and all the steel components such as brackets and screws on the door) scraped the SH*T out of my tailgate as it opened.

Ford Engineers: Thanks for the IGNORANT decision to allow the remote tailgate release to open the tailgate despite it being locked/parked for hours.

From now on, I can NEVER open my garage door without FIRST going into the garage to see if the tailgate was inadvertently opened at some point since the truck was parked.

roadpilot, I 'm sorry for your misfortune and hope damages are minor. Having said that, you are the last person I would expect to place the blame for your misfortune on someone else. I respect all of the valuable information you have provided to the members of the forum (myself included). I have read many of your posts and have agreed with most of them. You despise snifflers and whiners, and chastise those who take no responsibility for their own actions or their own stupidity. I just don't see how this unfortunate incident is the fault of the engineers. No disrespect intended.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:39 PM

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Oh man, that sucks.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow that sucks. Sorry to hear about the damage to your truck.

Certain functions on my BMW will not work unless the remote is in very close proximity to the vehicle. For example the convertible roof can be opened with the remote but only if I'm really close, i.e. visual range. Presumably to prevent someone from getting injured but your story shows how situations could lead to vehicle damage.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:41 PM

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

You should just back into the garage...
The following 3 users liked this post by OkieDoc:
carryyourbooks (04-30-2015), isthatahemi (04-29-2015), Smidgy (04-30-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 10:43 PM

Received 1,603 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by OkieDoc
You should just back into the garage...
You must be a Ford engineer ... smh.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:48 PM
Curmudgeon In Training

Received 132 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by roadPilot

roadpilot, I 'm sorry for your misfortune and hope damages are minor. Having said that, you are the last person I would expect to place the blame for your misfortune on someone else. I respect all of the valuable information you have provided to the members of the forum (myself included). I have read many of your posts and have agreed with most of them. You despise snifflers and whiners, and chastise those who take no responsibility for their own actions or their own stupidity. I just don't see how this unfortunate incident is the fault of the engineers. No disrespect intended.
The following 15 users liked this post by MarineLDO:
130428 (04-30-2015), 2010FX4 (04-30-2015), BigBlue&Goldie (04-29-2015), buckfiddy (04-30-2015), Derodeo (04-30-2015), Effex 2 (04-30-2015), GOBLUEJD (04-30-2015), GR Owens (04-30-2015), james98520 (04-30-2015), Jedi_1 (04-30-2015), justin51986 (04-30-2015), MAGNJ (04-30-2015), RRSport (04-29-2015), Smidgy (04-30-2015), Spencerello (04-30-2015) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-29-2015, 10:49 PM

Received 1,027 Likes on 734 Posts

So you hot the button by accident. How long was the debate on who is to blame?
My foot slipped off the brake one and I bumped my trailer, I wonder if someone else was at fault too?
Old 04-29-2015, 10:50 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a Honda Pilot with an electric rear door opener. What prevents such an accident from happening is that you have to hold button on the key for about 2 seconds before the door opens. This kind of system prevents things, such as your incident, from happening. But then again, when it comes to technology, the Japanese are for sure superior to Americans. Just the harsh reality we live with in today's world. Idiots!

Nonetheless, thanks for the heads up. I really didn't want this unnecessary, gee whiz electric tailgate release. I mean...come on...is it really hard to unlock a tailgate manually? Seriously...

MG
The following users liked this post:
roadPilot (04-30-2015)

Received 145 Likes on 132 Posts

Damn. Are there even 500 miles on your truck yet?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Backing in would be much safer!!!

Quick Reply: Remote tailgate release = damage to truck