Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regrets on Bakflip rolling - wish I would have bought solid fold

Old 02-17-2018, 05:39 PM

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Regrets on Bakflip rolling - wish I would have bought solid fold

All -

At the risk of starting yet another "toneau" thread - I thought I'd share that I've had the bak x2 roll-up cover on my bed for about one year.

I regret buying this cover. It has been water tight and does provide me full access to the bed; however, it is so easy to get into - I regret I don't have much security.

Many of you have hard folding with a similar cable release at the tailgate. This literally takes 2 seconds to break into with a long-ish screw driver.

for the same money - I could have had the solid fold 2.0 - which, sits on the bed rails, and clamps very secure. Also - you can put weight on it.

For those of you that have folding toneau....and didn't select sold fold - what am I missing?

- I do understand it does not provide access to the full bed. Competitors do; but, you cannot see out the back window in this mode.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom....at the moment, I'm pretty sure I'd like to switch.
The following users liked this post:
Sikwill (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

What are you putting in the bed that needs to be so secure? I never leave anything in my vehicle that I would regret getting stolen. There isn't one production vehicle out there that a would be thief can't get into with a simple brick. The bed with a hard cover? A bit harder, but if they have time, they have access. Don't leave anything you don't mind being stolen in a vehicle, plain and simple. If security is your only complaint, you know what your solution is. I deal with vehicle break-ins all the time. Almost all are preventable if people just didn't leave valuables in their vehicle. I understand there are some of us that don't really have that option (work trucks, LOTS of tools). I suspect most people can simply avoid security issues by taking valuables inside. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Gibson2015; 02-17-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:55 PM

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibson2015
What are you putting in the bed that needs to be so secure? I never leave anything in my vehicle that I would regret getting stolen. There isn't one production vehicle out there that a would be thief can't get into with a simple brick. The bed with a hard cover? A bit harder, but if they have time, they have access. Don't leave anything you don't mind being stolen in a vehicle, plain and simple. If security is your only complaint, you know what your solution is. I deal with vehicle break-ins all the time. Almost all are preventable if people just didn't leave valuables in their vehicle. I understand there are some of us that don't really have that option (work trucks, LOTS of tools). I suspect most people can simply avoid security issues by taking valuables inside. Just my opinion.

You ever go on a road trip with luggage and want to go into a restaurant?
Old 02-17-2018, 06:20 PM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 2017ExecFx4
Seriously? Has this actually happened to you? If I were that worried about someone breaking into my truck (or car) to steal my suitcases, etc., I'd just stay home. Just park out in front of the restaurant....your stuff will be fine! Have a little faith in mankind.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:59 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a 2006 Lincoln Mark LT with an Undercover hard locking toneau. 2 locks and still got picked open. Luckily nothing of personal value is kept in the bed of that truck. My 2001 F150 Screw had a topper that never had issues with theft. Of course you could see through the windows if there was anything of value inside.
I plan on getting a tri-fold toneau for my 2017 F150 for the sole purpose of keeping the elements out while travelling. And yes, I will keep my luggage in the bed while I'm in a restaurant. I have insurance and can buy new underwear from any local Walmart.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:45 PM
2023 402a Tremor

Received 134 Likes on 93 Posts

I had the soft roll up but switched to a folding bakflip because it's so much easier to put up and down. Never had anyone break into the bed yet. Occasionally I will put something on top of it so being hard is nice. It does block the rear window but I just use my side mirrors instead. I also like that it does not flap around when on the freeway.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:50 PM

Received 243 Likes on 162 Posts

I don't keep anything of enormous value in my truck bed, but I can say that over 40 years of trucks with non-locking, soft rollup tonneau covers, never once have I had anything stolen from the bed, and never have I seen any evidence of a tonneau being opened or messed with. And when I road trip, yes, the luggage goes in the bed.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don’t worry about restaurants but do when stopping at hotels when traveling. Usually run a cable and lock through luggage or gear in the bed under the cover. Most are looking for easy scores, unless they know what’s in there.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:35 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

It's all about probabilities. Nothing can't be broken into by a determined thief. A soft tonneau can be broken into with a simple knife whereas a well designed hard cover will probably require some tools that most casual thieves don't carry around in their normal lives. Pro thieves will look for the easiest targets and most likely won't mess with hard targets unless they know something valuable is inside.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:47 PM

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 2017ExecFx4
you are 100% correct when being on the road. Some must never travel very far. A 3 week road trips can put you in all kind of
unexpected situations. Even with a hard folding cover, in some areas have moved the luggage to the cab. You can not
be too careful these days

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Regrets on Bakflip rolling - wish I would have bought solid fold