Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear block or airbags

Old 05-16-2019, 02:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rear block or airbags

Curious what you guys would do. I just had the fox 2.0 shocks installed. Brand new toyo at2 285/60r20 added as well. I am trying to decide if I should go with a 1 inch rear block and the fox rear shocks or go with air bags. I want to keep a slight rake and don't want to look funny when I tow my boat. Any info is greatly appreciated. As of right now, looks almost negative rake but the front and rears are almost perfectly level. I had the fox 2.0 set at factory height.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Fox rear shocks wont raise the rear of the vehicle. I have the same problem, the front is 1/8" higher than the rear. I think I will be adding airbags myself
The following users liked this post:
brett87tex (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 04:41 PM

Received 530 Likes on 373 Posts

If you decide to go the rear block route, make sure to measure your stock block first as you will want to replace that block with a new one.

On my truck the factory rear block measured 1.25" thick so I swapped it with a 2.5" thick block to add 1.25" of extra height.

This was after installing a Bilstein kit at the +1.75" setting and having the truck sit too high in the front for my liking. The extra 1.25" put just the right amount of rake back in for my taste.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by sholxgt
If you decide to go the rear block route, make sure to measure your stock block first as you will want to replace that block with a new one.

On my truck the factory rear block measured 1.25" thick so I swapped it with a 2.5" thick block to add 1.25" of extra height.

This was after installing a Bilstein kit at the +1.75" setting and having the truck sit too high in the front for my liking. The extra 1.25" put just the right amount of rake back in for my taste.
That's good to know. thank you. I will do that.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Racer9j
Fox rear shocks wont raise the rear of the vehicle. I have the same problem, the front is 1/8" higher than the rear. I think I will be adding airbags myself
Do the airbags add any height to rear when minimal pressure say 5-10 psi in them?
Old 05-16-2019, 05:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by brett87tex
Do the airbags add any height to rear when minimal pressure say 5-10 psi in them?
I believe they add 1/2" to 1" depending on the brand you go with. I'm going to do the ride rite kit
Old 08-06-2019, 08:43 PM

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer9j
I believe they add 1/2" to 1" depending on the brand you go with. I'm going to do the ride rite kit
I just added Airlift 5000 as I was getting squat on 850 LBS of TW, and vibration through 1st, 2nd and 3rd. After install, 30LBS air, truck is level and vibration is 95% fixed. Without towing, I go to 15 LBS and ride is a slightly stiffer adding more confidence and the handling to the ride. Best mod I've done. Very Happy. (oh, the truck will increases height about 1" at the rear with the kit install 5 lbs pressure.)
Old 08-06-2019, 08:57 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The other thing to consider is an add a leaf. Ive heard the longer add a leafs like the Autospring ones wont make you truck ride rough like shorter add a leafs like the rough country. Blocks arent going to beef up the suspension...they are dead space.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ll second the airbags. I went with The Icon stage one kit for leveling, but was worried about squat with my travel trailer. I added the Firestone Ride Rite Kit (I just preferred the mounting method over the Air Ride kit but they are equally sound kits), to ensure I’m level when towing and help eliminate the bounce when towing. It works great and it’s infinitely adjustable. I roll around with about 7-8 psi to help with the 220 pound topper I have on the truck. I considered both the block and add-a-leaf, but both have their drawbacks. The block doesn’t improve ride quality while towing and the add-a-leaf is not adjustable and can result in a rough ride at times and you have to decide on a weight of spring before adding it. More importantly, they are additive for capacity but don’t necessarily solve squat.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:53 PM

Received 3,164 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassman150
I just added Airlift 5000 as I was getting squat on 850 LBS of TW, and vibration through 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
The Airlift 5000 kit has a capacity of 5,000lbs. This is the capacity the bags are ADDING to the rear suspension, and is way overkill for what you can actually add to the bed or tongue of a 1/2, 3/4, or even 1 ton. The fact that mfg's list kits like these as an option for these trucks is trading ignorance for profit. Note their claims of "beefing up" your suspension in big, bold words (and their disclaimers in small text at the bottom to never exceed GVWR). These kits beef up nothing.

The lowest rating for this style of bag adds 2,000lbs capacity, and even that is way than the axle and bearings can handle. In using these kits to level heavy, but not over GVWR loads, you barely use even the 2,000lb bags. We would be able to do the same with 500lb bags, too bad no one makes them.

Don't waste money on the bigger kits unless you just want bragging rights and the opportunity to destroy your truck by actually trying to load you buddy's F150 in your bed.

The lower rated bags provide a softer ride at low psi, weigh less, and add capacity that is well beyond what the suspension can handle. Don't let the bold claims fool you, you're not going to load 2,000lbs over your payload and live to tell about it, let alone 5,000lbs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear block or airbags