Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-calibrate ADAS

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 06:42 PM

Received 325 Likes on 223 Posts

Default Re-calibrate ADAS

Having my windshield replaced and they want $300 to re-calibrate the ADAS system (camera).

Does anyone know if our trucks have an auto-calibrating camera?
I have forscan and access to IDS... just wondering if I have to have a stationary target to calibrate from.

TIA.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't know what year truck you have, but I just looked up the Lane Keep Assist system and from the OE article, it says this:

Camera Alignment

Camera alignment is required for the lane keeping alert and lane keeping aid to function correctly. The procedure is initiated using the diagnostic scan tool and requires about 10 minutes of driving above 64 km/h (40 mph) on a flat, straight road with highly visible lane markings to complete.

NOTE: The alignment completion is indicated on the diagnostic scan tool. If the alignment is unsuccessful, check the IPMA (Except Raptor) or the interior mirror (Raptor) for proper installation.

NOTE: The FRONT CAMERA MALFUNCTION - SERVICE REQUIRED message in the IPC disappears when the system is aligned.

The IPMA camera alignment procedure should be performed when any of the following occur:
  • Windshield replacement
  • Change in tire size
  • Suspension repair or alignment
  • Front air bag deployment
  • Interior mirror replacement (Raptor only)
Component Description

IPMA (Except Raptor)

The IPMA is located on the windshield, above the interior rear view mirror. The IPMA communicates on the HS-CAN2 and on vehicles equipped with the adaptive cruise control and collision warning system, the IPMA shares information with the CCM on dedicated CAN circuits to assist the driver in avoiding a collision. The IPMA contains a forward-looking camera that is used to detect the position of the vehicle within the lane.

The IPMA requires PMI and camera alignment when replaced. For additional information on the collision warning system,
Refer to: Collision Warning and Collision Avoidance System (419-03 Collision Warning and Collision Avoidance System).
The following 2 users liked this post by unixadm:
bsedwebt (02-16-2019), jwanck11 (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 10:31 PM

I have a 2016 502a and added adaptive cruise myself. It came with LKA.

Awesome, thank you! Sounds like I need IDS.

Last edited by jwanck11; 02-16-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:05 AM
Retired Car Guy

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I just replaced my windshield and had the ADAS recalibrated. After speaking with a couple of glass companies, I chose to have a dealer do the recalibration. The glass company I finally went with was very upfront about both the need to do it and the reasons they recommended it be done by a dealership. I ended up going with factory (OEM) glass so I'd have the Ford logos for future resale. My dealership charged $200 for the recalibration.
The following 2 users liked this post by rogerswt:
Gale Hawkins (02-17-2019), jwanck11 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 01:53 PM

Received 1,000 Likes on 667 Posts

My dealership charged $200 for the recalibration.
Who paid the $200.00?

I had Safelite do mine last May. I specified an OEM exact replacement windshield, and State Farm ok'd it. The guy did it in my garage, and then plugged in his laptop and took it for a 20 minute drive to calibrate everything.

I was skeptical, but everything still works fine, and I have every hi-tech option available in 2016. I paid $100 deductible.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:32 AM

Plugged in a laptop? I would have thought he had to plug in an IDS tool. That's very interesting.

I am going to try to calibrate myself and will report back. Safelite wants 250 to calibrate, as above, and I am not willing to pay that.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:47 PM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jwanck11
Plugged in a laptop? I would have thought he had to plug in an IDS tool. That's very interesting.

I am going to try to calibrate myself and will report back. Safelite wants 250 to calibrate, as above, and I am not willing to pay that.
IDS is a PC based software which it typically run on a laptop. The VCM interface is required to connect the laptop to the vehicle when using IDS. Some of the higher end scan tools can also initiate this calibration and I thought I remembered seeing the option in Forscan as well.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:51 PM

Received 1,000 Likes on 667 Posts

IDS is a PC based software which it typically run on a laptop.
Yeah, the guy showed me his laptop, said he had to plug it in and go for a ride.

It did not look like a dedicated tool.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just been going through this very same situation with 2 different trucks. First is a 2016 F150 Lariat and a 2017 F350 Lariat. Neither truck has the 360 degree camera system, lane assist or adaptive cruise. They both do have blindspot detection and rain sensing wipers. My local dealer told me that the F350 required recalibrating and Safelite told me that both required recalibrating. I question this being that the blindspot detection is done via the sensors in the tail lights and, as far as I know, nothing to do with any front facing cameras. I would assume the rain sensing wipers use the front facing camera, but would have no idea why that requires calibration.
When the Safelite technician was here for the F150, I was not here. However, the same tech showed up for my F350. He told me that when he plugged in his calibration tool (which look like a scanner device, not a laptop), he started the calibration process, drove down the road and the scanner said this vehicle does not require calibration. When he did the F350, he had me drive and it said the same thing. I have since driven the truck a few days and have received no error messages, the blindspot indicators work fine and so do the wipers.
Unless someone can explain otherwise, I have a feeling that they push this calibration issue for any of the higher end vehicles regardless. If this tech wasn't here a second time in under a week, I would not have known about what happen on the F150 and would have ended up paying for the calibration on the F350. The 150 was covered on personal insurance and my F350 has a $500 deductible on Commerical coverage. I ended up paying $472 and change after they removed the $300 fee for calibration.
Again, if anyone has more information or can backup anything else, please let me know.

Quick Reply: Re-calibrate ADAS