Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raptor style bumper with skid plate from Galaxymotoinc

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Raptor style bumper with skid plate from Galaxymotoinc

I recently installed the Raptor conversion bumper/skid plate kid from Galaxymotoinc, which I purchased through eBay. I haven’t seen anyone else with this particular bumper yet, so I thought I’d drop a few pics and some initial thoughts. The bumper install was fairly simple and straight forward. The kit included the PC+ABS constructed bumper and skid plate, as well as a replacement plastic air damn and metal mounting bracket. Also included were black and white photo instructions and a hardware kit. It’s important to note that there is an additional step in mounting this bumper on a V8 model vs the V6; so make sure you specify the applicable application whereas the V8 requires the metal mounting bracket and it appears the V6 do not. That delayed my install by a week while I awaited the additional hardware. However, Galaxymotoinc did get the parts out to me in 4 days, so that was appreciated. The install itself was very straight forward and everything fit well. You’ll utilize the factory mounting plates from your existing bumper which mount onto the new bumper with their supplied hardware. The fit is actually surprisingly precise and the bumper lined up perfectly with my stock body panels. I did have a hard time installing the 12 clips on the skid plate that mount into the bumper itself; I ended up reusing the clips from the OEM bumper insert which worked significantly better. Be careful with them, they’re delicate and Ford requires you buy the entire bumper insert to get more, should you break any. Aside from the clips, the rest of the install was very simple. Altogether, removal of the OEM bumper and install took about 45 minutes. As you see in my pictures, I have the Galaxymotoinc version of the Raptor grille as well. The plastic of the bumper matches perfectly to the grille, as well as to the black of my Bushwacker fender flares. I previously painted the lower trim on the grille which took the paint very well, so I assume the bumper will also. Eventually I may paint the flares, bumper and grille a dark gray, closer to the actual Raptor look, but for now the matte black stands out pretty well from the metallic Tuxedo black of my truck. I used a plastic conditioner/restorer that gave the plastics an even sheen and cleared up any fingerprints, etc. You’ll also notice this bumper allows a little better clearance on the front tires. I’m on 325/60/18s (33.4” x 12.8”) with a 2.5” level and was very close to rubbing the lower front corners of the OEM bumper. However, with the additional clearance this bumper provides, I believe I should be able to clear a standard 35”x 12.5” now. The only concern I have about this product (which is openly addressed in the eBay description) is that it is 100% PC+ABS construction vs the OEM metal bumper. I don’t know how much additional strength the stock bumper actually supplies but there’s a noticeable weight difference of approx. 30 lbs between the two. The back of the Galaxymotoinc bumper has raised plastic ridges that cross to add rigidity, I took it a step further and filled these ridges with a plastic epoxy to add additional strength and peace of mind. The skid plate is also constructed entirely of plastic and painted a gloss silver. Removal of the OEM bumper also removes the air damn so this kit includes a multi-purpose mounting bracket for the skid plate that also extends below the plate and provides a smaller replacement for the factory air damn. The skid plate does not extend as far back as an actual Raptor plate would, but the whole bumper should be considered a cosmetic modification, not a functional mod. I’ve had the kit on for about 4 days now, it definitely draws far more attention to my truck than the FORD grille alone had. It seems to be holding up well and secure, even after 80+ mph on the highway. All together, I’m pleased with the outcome and would recommend this product to anyone looking for a nice cosmetic upgrade that doesn’t plan on doing much off roading. Hope this review is helpful to anyone considering this bumper. Here’s the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-17-Ford-F...pYW23N&vxp=mtr
Attached Thumbnails Raptor style bumper with skid plate from Galaxymotoinc-dsc08671-2-.jpg   Raptor style bumper with skid plate from Galaxymotoinc-dsc08550-2-.jpg   Raptor style bumper with skid plate from Galaxymotoinc-dsc08575-2-.jpg   Raptor style bumper with skid plate from Galaxymotoinc-dsc08700-2-.jpg   Raptor style bumper with skid plate from Galaxymotoinc-dsc08662-2-.jpg  

Raptor style bumper with skid plate from Galaxymotoinc-dsc08768-2-.jpg   Raptor style bumper with skid plate from Galaxymotoinc-dsc08745-2-.jpg   Raptor style bumper with skid plate from Galaxymotoinc-dsc08711-2-.jpg  
The following 10 users liked this post by Drago77:
Apples (05-10-2018), ExpresswayFord (04-11-2018), JCROUCH (04-09-2019), Mike-in-Kingston (04-19-2019), OKRaptor (04-30-2021), Rafa1089 (04-17-2022), sparksjr (05-22-2018), Switcher LP (05-07-2021), Twin snail putput (11-18-2020), wilkinda (04-26-2017) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-24-2017, 04:53 PM

Received 210 Likes on 167 Posts

Gotta say... That looks pretty damn good.
The following 3 users liked this post by Fireimp141:
Drago77 (04-24-2017), Switcher LP (05-07-2021), wilkinda (04-26-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Very very nice
The following users liked this post:
Drago77 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts

Looks great! I"m in the market for a new bumper and this looks really nice. Would love to see some longer term updates. Also, how well do you think it would line up with factory fenders?
Old 04-24-2017, 05:23 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 800 Likes on 589 Posts

nice upgrade

Drago77 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 877 Likes on 568 Posts

Looks good. A lot better looking than the paramount one.
Drago77 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Billy_Jack
Looks great! I"m in the market for a new bumper and this looks really nice. Would love to see some longer term updates. Also, how well do you think it would line up with factory fenders?
It's gonna stick out about 3/4"-1" beyond the factory fenders... It lines up perfectly with my Bushwackers which are 1.75" of additional coverage.

As long as I don't hit anything, they should last... first front end collision and it's toast. It's made from a little thicker version of the same plastic as the grille which has held up very well for over a year so far.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

So what did you do about the inner fender liners. Looking at mine, and comparing it to a 2017 Raptor, it appears that the liner will need to be cut and shortened. Also, there's that plastic duct that is in the space between the bottom of the headlight and top of the bumper. That looks like it needs to be cut down as well. Can you post some pics of how it looks from inside of the wheel well?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by dangeris
So what did you do about the inner fender liners. Looking at mine, and comparing it to a 2017 Raptor, it appears that the liner will need to be cut and shortened. Also, there's that plastic duct that is in the space between the bottom of the headlight and top of the bumper. That looks like it needs to be cut down as well. Can you post some pics of how it looks from inside of the wheel well?
These pictures really suck (kinda embarrassing cuz I was out in the dirty yesterday taking the original pix) but here's what I can see while it's in my garage... All the plastic you mentioned is still there, it tucks behind the solid corners of the bumper so you can't see it unless your at a pretty sharp angle looking in. There's no movement or give in any of it as it appears to be bolted down fairly securely. It wasn't predominant enough for me to notice it until you mentioned it, but after checking it just now, it's nothing I'm concerned with.

(You can see a little of the white material feathering out in the back that I used to reinforce it with... )

Old 04-24-2017, 11:19 PM

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Man that looks really nice. Sucks that we can't get the Ford grill anymore.

Really ties it together