Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant: it's a TRUCK, not a limousine or a science project

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:34 AM

Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Default Rant: it's a TRUCK, not a limousine or a science project

I've been trolling this forum for months. I've learned a lot. Hopefully I've passed on some knowledge and saved folks some money too. I've got a SCREW base Lariat. Ordered it with minimum additional functional options (bedliner, tonneau, 36 gal tank, tow mirrors, max-tow).

Key features that drove me to the SCREW & Ford.
1.) Room and towing capacity - the truck has way more than my 2011 Silverado Crew in both departments (which I still own).

2.) Ford didn't take bail out money.

3.) My kid took a job with Ford. So, I got A-plan pricing so it became price competitive. And I help Ford keep employing my kid.

Key feature that drove me to the Lariat: Dual zone climate control. My wife wants it 85 degrees in the truck, I'm happy at 72.

I'm a 47 year old electrical engineer. I LOVE my new truck. Tows my 6000# trailer like a dream. Zero problems since pickup. Will do the TSB on the cooling seats - because the truck has them and it will be free.

I am absolutely amazed when I read through the forum and see all the mods people are doing and how folks want additional options. The base Lariat comes more loaded than any Lincoln, Cadillac, or Mercedes ever did when I was growing up. So many damn gizmos that I am still discovering stuff after reading the manual and driving it for a month. The stock radio is fantastic. I feel guilty driving such a plush TRUCK. This is not my brother's 1976 Ranger.

My biggest concern driving it as an electrical engineer is that it has TOO MUCH crap in it. The posts about error codes, limp mode, stalling, and steering issues (all electronic related) give me pause.

My observations:
1.) The more complicated you make it, the more it will break. You are already a hostage to the software engineers. More lines of code -- more likely to screw up.

2.) The more you screw with it, particularly with the electronics, the more trouble you will get. Cut into the harnesses? Reflash the computer with non-factory mods? Would you do that to a medical device on which your life depends? Probably not. Yet people hop into their "customized" truck and do 80 on the highway. Crazy.

3.) Lots of people have too much time and $$$ on their hands. Buying a Lariat probably puts me in the too much $$$ department.

I for one plan on driving my factory configured truck as bought with zero mods and within manufacturer's specs for towing until the wheels fall off. I don't plan on ever buying another vehicle with more gizmos than this one, EVER. This especially goes for anything automated (BLIS, adaptive cruise control, etc.) I want to be in control of my vehicle as much as I can be. I'm already dependent on the electronics for steering, engine and transmission control. But for it to actively tell me how to drive or for my truck to actively take control away from me is crazy.

End rant. Will keep trolling to learn about issues with my factory configured truck so I'm informed about problems I may face in ownership.
The following 11 users liked this post by chief_bs:
AbitaPro (09-13-2015), banddirector (03-05-2016), canddmeyer (09-13-2015), crreed67 (09-18-2015), Fx4gary (04-10-2016), Janpijpelink (09-13-2015), kalison (09-13-2015), purdue616 (09-14-2015), riclar (09-16-2015), Texrep (09-19-2015), thsmith (09-13-2015) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-13-2015, 10:56 AM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I have bought three Ford trucks since 2004. The factory drivability and transmission strategies are fine by me and i tow 98% of the time. I am with you on not understanding why any one would jeopardize a drivetrain warranty with aftermarket programming. It's a truck, not a race car!!!!!! There is nothing in the stock programming that the manual shift button will not remedy if towing in the hills IMNHO.
The following users liked this post:
riclar (09-16-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's always been true- the more bells and whistles - the more likely something will break. But going from a 2003 F150 4x4 with crank windows to a 2015 F150 XLT SCREW, it sure feels like a limo to me. And I love it ! That soft ride, the quiet, the stereo, the playpen area behind me for the dog, the acceleration, built in Nav- heaven. After driving 600 miles to the beach, I actually said..."Let's get the truck unloaded and go for a drive"...and I was serious.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 178 Likes on 112 Posts

I hear you chief bs, that's why I have an XLT. But, to each his own.
If it wasn't for the heated seats I probably wouldn't have gotten the 302a package.
That being said I'm itching to go conservative with a 1-1/2" level and 33" tires after the stockers wear out. I think it would set it off nicely without jeopardizing other components.
I get my modification fix for my 1974 Bronco. I think it's out of warranty by now.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

To those who wish to enjoy these fine trucks as they came from the factory, which are the vast majority of owners-great! However there are many who would like to "either enhance performance a bit or just make it their own" I have my own "wish list" of mods, some I plan to do day truck arrives; Borla touring exhaust (looks way better, sounds great-just a bit louder than stock and may put an extra couple horses under the hood) BFG KO2's, Front window tint, BedRug. Other mods will be after I put a few miles on the truck and get used to it; I plan to install a 1 inch level kit (some trucks seem to set fine from the factory and some have more rake in front than others) however I am not willing to live with ANY noise or vibration issues resulting from said level / lift. Stereo performance will be enhanced-just not a full blown complete re-do (I own a high-end residential A/V firm so I want a bit more performance from the Sony-I wish Ford had a Burmester or Meridian option, both outstanding!) I also plan to improve engine performance, will be looking closely at Roush's supercharger kit when it come out...I do not expect Ford to cover a repair CAUSED by any of my mods.

As to their being "too much crap" on them, its an individual opinion. I personally do not want all the "nanny controls" and as such I ordered my KR without the 601A package. However there are many who want the added piece of mind of additional safety features and "nanny controls" which might help prevent an accident should they get distracted or some fool in front of them does something stupid. I think its great that Ford and other makes offer all this.

It really comes down to the old saying "to each his own"!

Last edited by 1MJW; 09-13-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:46 PM

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

My F150 will continue to be a truck, science project, limousine, commuter car, or whatever else I want it to be unless someone feels like replacing the $50k hole in my bank account.

And let's not kid ourselves on Ford not taking bailout money. Mulally begged Congress to bail out the entire industry, or it would have caused huge problems for Ford. He also asked for (and was granted) a $9B line of credit and $6B in low-interest government loans to re-tool factories to build more fuel-efficient cars. On top of all this, the federal government bought $16B in paper from Ford Credit (wholly owned by Ford)--the largest recipient of this action by far.

To say that Ford didn't get bailout money is simply ludicrous. It's a much more complicated situation than many people like to think. Rest assured that the industry--and the entire country--might look quite a bit different if these actions hadn't taken place. Don't take any of this as a defense or criticism of the whole works.

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/for...n-on-bailouts/
http://jalopnik.com/5704575/ford-bmw...vernment-money
The following 7 users liked this post by tooloud10:
AndrewGS (09-16-2015), bsboothe (09-13-2015), Derodeo (09-13-2015), homeskizzle (09-16-2015), McClintoc (04-10-2016), statikuz (09-13-2015), youngduece77 (09-16-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-13-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Default Rant: it's a TRUCK, not a limousine or a science project

I had a $250 bike that I worked for all summer cutting grass when I was a young teens that I modded, then got into RC cars and modded them, then I got my first car that I modded, I have modded every single vehicle I have ever owned. Ranging from a 20 year old $1700 daily driver to my current truck that I bought new.

Why? Merica!

It started as a little kid with a passion for nice cars and a love for turning a wrench. I can't stand having the same thing as everybody else.

A co-worker has the same exact truck as I. But they look nothing alike. I like being different! There no doubt that when someone sees my truck they know it's me.

Wayne
1lowranger (09-16-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 03:38 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I mod everything I own, it's a hobby I enjoy and makes ownership fun. My truck, and this forum, would be boring to me if we all left them stock.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mtek:
Mattwrotethis (09-19-2015), MetalMike2112 (10-22-2021), youngduece77 (09-16-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 04:52 PM

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtek
I mod everything I own, it's a hobby I enjoy and makes ownership fun. My truck, and this forum, would be boring to me if we all left them stock.
+1
Mattwrotethis (09-19-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 05:06 PM

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtek
+2

Quick Reply: Rant: it's a TRUCK, not a limousine or a science project