Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ram 1500 e torque....what the heck is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 07:35 PM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Ram 1500 e torque....what the heck is it?

Hopefully some professionals in the business will chime in here about this 2019 feature with some unvarnished opinions.

My cursory internet look at the Ram 1500 e torque hemi V8, revealed a large box on the front of the motor and a fat serpentine belt connecting it to the crankshaft pulley.

Included is a large suitcase sized 48 volt lithium ion battery in back of passenger compartment. Wonder what this battery replacement cost is?

Engine starting is done with this system - no starter? no 12V battery?

It is braking regenerative for charging purposes.

Claims extra 130ftlb torque at drive off.

Engine is stop/start with cylinder deactivation and e torque assist as needed.

I'd be willing to bet a large sum that this tacked on albatross of a system (e torque) will not last more than a year on the Ram engine option sheet.

Last edited by Blackbuzzard; 01-20-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

There have been several different types of this technology around for years. Ford talked about using this years ago. They were showing the saved energy from braking to be used at take off. Most things never make it to market. There has been talk of motors at each wheel for added power also. I feel all this stuff is only going to continue as each manufacture tries to find a way to one up each other.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:41 PM

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Some of the hybrids like the C-Max use regenerative braking to generate back into the battery for energy storage, but this is the first I've heard of the technology applied to a truck.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:50 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbuzzard

Engine starting is done with this system - no starter? no 12V battery?

I'd be willing to bet a large sum that this tacked on albatross of a system (e torque) will not last more than a year on the Ram engine option sheet.
The article I read said the etorque device is not used for the starting of a cold motor. The truck still has a normal 12V system, 12V battery, and starter. I guess it’s easier to start a warmed motor with this device.

I have a feeling they will keep it to help CAFE numbers. If it’s a success, I’d imagine they may upsize it eventually. It won’t hurt Ford owners, heck...if it works really well, Ford might implement something similar. Personally, I like the idea of some extra power just when you want/need it. I’m all for useful advances.

It’s good to see all manufacturers tackling the power vs efficiency barriers in innovative ways.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:25 PM

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

From your description it sounds like the hybrid system Saturn used years ago on the vue. Used a motor-generator instead of an alternator and it provides assist power via the accessory drive. Sort of a light hybrid system.

Quick Reply: Ram 1500 e torque....what the heck is it?