Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rains a TON, what bed cover?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Rains a TON, what bed cover?

Starting to use the truck for vacations, etc cause the cab is bigger than our other vehicle but need the bed space protected. Have 2 car seats in cab. Rains a ton in Tennessee and want it "waterproof" if that exits, but also the ability to use the bed uncovered when the need arises. I've read the reviews and posts and it seems almost all of them leak? Help a brother out!
Old 02-18-2016, 10:36 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

You need a cap if you want it water proof...
Old 02-18-2016, 10:36 AM

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't have much experience with different brands of covers, but I can tell you I have the Ford soft tri-fold tonneau cover on my 2015 and I do not get a drop of water in my bed. Easy off and on as well if I need the bed uncovered for something large.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:21 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The tri fold are what are most appealing to me, but I've heard such mixed reviews...any other recommendations or thoughts guys? Retrax looks nice but more than I wanted to spend.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ero2
Starting to use the truck for vacations, etc cause the cab is bigger than our other vehicle but need the bed space protected. Have 2 car seats in cab. Rains a ton in Tennessee and want it "waterproof" if that exits, but also the ability to use the bed uncovered when the need arises. I've read the reviews and posts and it seems almost all of them leak? Help a brother out!
You think it rains where you are, have a look at the weather on the coast here! My 11 Lariat had an undercover on it and it was waterproof. I was though tired of lifting the cover all the time or taking it off to get something larger in the box plus I wanted to take advantage of the auto open tailgate on my 16. After researching everything, I decieded on a Retrax MX and I really like it so far. Is it completely waterproof? No. We have had unreal rain and wind storms recently and the only place it seems to get water in is at the tailgate and it seems to be very little. I have a bedrug mat in the box so it makes it a little hard to see but the bed itself has been completely dry so far. I installed it myself and took great care to make sure all side seals were sealed well. I also added seals in the channels of the tailgate steps as that is where you could see a little space under the Retrax seal that comes up against the top of the tailgate. I am very happy so far, but not 100% waterproof.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:02 AM

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

I live in WA and see my fair share of rain. I got a extang encore, it keep the bed pretty dry, but for $700 I was expecting it to be alot dryer. Mostly just wet in the corners, the front is my fault because i used existing holes in the bed and have thw drains kinked a little. The tri fold seams leak a bit in real long down pours parked over night. I just drove to idao in a pretty good storm and my stuff is dry. Currently looking for a canopy
Old 02-19-2016, 12:29 AM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Trifolds will sometimes leak a little. I have carried luggage in the bed while traveling in heavy rain and the bags stayed dry though. Make sure you get a good name brand. They are extremely ergonomic. The one piece covers can be a pain at times because you cant just throw things in the bed and close the cover. The Trifold will be the answer to that. However, the one piece covers are 100% water proof and look nice.

You just have to decide what you want and need.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:51 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I had an "undercover " on my 08... best cover I ever had just not convenient.. had a hard try fold.. Bak flip.. on my 2012 not as strong or as water proof... on my 2015 I have the Bak revolver x2... it's by far the best looking of the bunch.. and the roll up factor makes it the most convenient..
Old 02-19-2016, 08:16 AM
Gearhead

Received 754 Likes on 434 Posts

Bakflip works in Florida. We get a little rain....... Just about every day in the summer.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

I have a roll-x, a little black silicone near the mount at the cab end filled the 2 areas that i had leaking, we had 18 inch of rain last month and while i did find water in the bed prior to sealing it, it wasn't so much to worry about, IE if i had luggage in there the clothes would have been dry in the luggage

Quick Reply: Rains a TON, what bed cover?