Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for BAK Revolver X2/X4 owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 12:01 PM

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Question for BAK Revolver X2/X4 owners

I have had the Ford branded version of the Revolver X2 on my truck for a while now actually, and I just never really concerned myself with the little issue I have with it. I figured I would go ahead now and ask about it here. I was wondering, if you have a Revolver X2 or X4 on your truck, does the cover extend at all over the top of the tailgate when it is closed? My cover ends flush to the inside edge of the tailgate and it does not seem to make any sort of seal whatsoever. In fact, any time it rains or I wash the truck, the bed gets soaking wet inside as if I have no cover on it at all. I know the cover will not be 100% waterproof, and I expected to see SOME water inside the bed, but so much water gets in from the seal along the tailgate that I would not dare put luggage or anything in there or it would end up all wet. I have tried to adjust the cover by loosening the bolts up by the cab and sliding the cover back, but once I get it to where I feel like it should be, then it looks to be too far back at the head of the bed just behind the cab. Its almost like the cover is about a 1/4-1/2 inch too short or something. Also, when I drive, I can see in my rear view mirror that the center of the cover bounces around like its a full on soft cover. I basically just wanted to know from others with this cover if the cover is supposed to end flush with the inside edge of the tailgate or if it should slightly overhang the top of the tailgate.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:34 PM

Received 103 Likes on 52 Posts

Here is mine, seems to fit just fine. Lets see pics of yours.
Attached Thumbnails Question for BAK Revolver X2/X4 owners-20190105_103135.jpg   Question for BAK Revolver X2/X4 owners-20190105_103154.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
AlmightyBigD001 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 12:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

My X4 looks similar to Techguy82's.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Techguy82
Here is mine, seems to fit just fine. Lets see pics of yours.
Here are pics of mine. The cover is obviously crooked, but that is likely from me messing it up while trying to adjust it the other day... But as you can see at the far end, even when it is straight, it doesn't overlap the tailgate like yours. Also I notice the rail on mine does not sit over the tailgate either like yours does.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:47 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by AlmightyBigD001
I have had the Ford branded version of the Revolver X2 on my truck for a while now actually, and I just never really concerned myself with the little issue I have with it. I figured I would go ahead now and ask about it here. I was wondering, if you have a Revolver X2 or X4 on your truck, does the cover extend at all over the top of the tailgate when it is closed? My cover ends flush to the inside edge of the tailgate and it does not seem to make any sort of seal whatsoever. In fact, any time it rains or I wash the truck, the bed gets soaking wet inside as if I have no cover on it at all. I know the cover will not be 100% waterproof, and I expected to see SOME water inside the bed, but so much water gets in from the seal along the tailgate that I would not dare put luggage or anything in there or it would end up all wet. I have tried to adjust the cover by loosening the bolts up by the cab and sliding the cover back, but once I get it to where I feel like it should be, then it looks to be too far back at the head of the bed just behind the cab. Its almost like the cover is about a 1/4-1/2 inch too short or something. Also, when I drive, I can see in my rear view mirror that the center of the cover bounces around like its a full on soft cover. I basically just wanted to know from others with this cover if the cover is supposed to end flush with the inside edge of the tailgate or if it should slightly overhang the top of the tailgate.
i have the ford version as well.. the rubber on the end gets folded under the tail gate if you don't manually pay attention to it when you close it.. mine was doing this as well
Old 01-05-2019, 12:49 PM

Received 103 Likes on 52 Posts

Looks like yours is short like you said. I would measure mine, but mine is a short bed and yours looks to be long bed.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by AlmightyBigD001
Here are pics of mine. The cover is obviously crooked, but that is likely from me messing it up while trying to adjust it the other day... But as you can see at the far end, even when it is straight, it doesn't overlap the tailgate like yours. Also I notice the rail on mine does not sit over the tailgate either like yours does.

are you sure this is installed correctly? you're missing the rubber that goes between the tail gate and the cover that seals it.. also it looks like your right side long piece is sticking out too far that's preventing the tailgate from closing fully.. seems there is a slight gap.. that's why it looks crooked
Old 01-05-2019, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by doug97gxe
are you sure this is installed correctly? you're missing the rubber that goes between the tail gate and the cover that seals it.. also it looks like your right side long piece is sticking out too far that's preventing the tailgate from closing fully.. seems there is a slight gap.. that's why it looks crooked
It's certainly possible I installed it incorrectly or something. But I did take it to a local BAK dealer who looked at it and adjusted it themselves after I installed it, but it still never looked right to me. I don't recall any rubber that needed to be installed between the cover and the tailgate. The only rubber I got in the packaging was the rubber gaskets that were 2 different thicknesses depending on whether you have a spray-in liner or a drop-in liner. I will check that rail again when I get home, but I do know when I installed the rails, I made sure they were all the way forward until the bracket that the cover bolts to was right against the front of the bed, so the rail can't slide forward any more.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:10 PM

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts

Here is what my X2 looks like.

Question for BAK Revolver X2/X4 owners-img_20190105_130528.jpg
Question for BAK Revolver X2/X4 owners-img_20190105_130517.jpg
The following users liked this post:
AlmightyBigD001 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 01:10 PM

maybe i missed it on yours but here is a pic of mine.. slightly bent

Quick Reply: Question for BAK Revolver X2/X4 owners