Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase Help - Tow Package Info

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 06:38 PM

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Purchase Help - Tow Package Info

Finally found a local truck with everything I want except the 18" wheels (personal preference and dealer has offered to swap out the 20"'s).

All my research indicates the tow package is a separate listed option on the window sticker and this particular one does not list it. It does have the integrated brake controller and 7000 lb. GVWR package.

The dealer is telling me it does have the tow package. I can't tell from Ford's option codes if one of the listed options automatically includes the trailer tow package. Anyone know about this for sure?

Option section of sticker. All the standard equipment is the same for all Lariats.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this one doesn't appear to have the trailer tow package or the max tow package....only the trailer brake controller so it will have less towing capability
Old 09-03-2016, 07:49 PM

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FordPwr1
this one doesn't appear to have the trailer tow package or the max tow package....only the trailer brake controller so it will have less towing capability
Thanks FordPwer1. It is confusing. Since the Lariat includes the Cl. 4 hitch, smart trailer tow connector and trailer sway control, the tow package would only add the auxiliary transmission cooler and upgraded stabilizer bar.

There's no indication in Ford's towing info http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/towing/ of a difference for the SC V8 4x4 3.53 with or without the package. It just shows 9,100 lbs.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on this link scroll down to the F150 section and it will have lots of info:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...e_r4_Jul27.pdf
Old 09-04-2016, 07:20 PM

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Dealer isn't being up front. You can add the trailer brake controller without the tow package.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:21 PM

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

That sticker does not have a tow package. Your dealer/salesman is very uninformed.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:32 AM

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

This has always confused me on my truck
there are 4 packages that i know of for towing
Standard, 53A, 53B and 53C
Standard - 4 pin wiring harness and trailer sway control
53B- adds to standard 4/7 pin wiring, Hitch receiver,smart Trailer Tow connector
53A- Adds to 53 B- Auto Trans Cooler, upgraded front stabilizer bar
53c- Adds to 53A- upgraded rear axel, upgraded rear bumper and Trailer brake controller

My window sticker says noting about these packages on my truck, but it had the hitch, it had the 4/7 wiring harness, its got the Trans Cooler
I added the Trailer brake controller.
Looking at all the paperwork my I assume my trailer max is 7600 Lbs but cant find anything to lead me to believe otherwise as i know what is physically on my truck and what i have added to it
Old 09-05-2016, 07:04 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by swimmarz
This has always confused me on my truck
there are 4 packages that i know of for towing
Standard, 53A, 53B and 53C
Standard - 4 pin wiring harness and trailer sway control
53B- adds to standard 4/7 pin wiring, Hitch receiver,smart Trailer Tow connector
53A- Adds to 53 B- Auto Trans Cooler, upgraded front stabilizer bar
53c- Adds to 53A- upgraded rear axel, upgraded rear bumper and Trailer brake controller

My window sticker says noting about these packages on my truck, but it had the hitch, it had the 4/7 wiring harness, its got the Trans Cooler
I added the Trailer brake controller.
Looking at all the paperwork my I assume my trailer max is 7600 Lbs but cant find anything to lead me to believe otherwise as i know what is physically on my truck and what i have added to it
Open door, read sticker. Shows you max Payload. Go to Towing section and read about how to use that to calculate max trailer weight.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:18 AM

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Open door, read sticker. Shows you max Payload. Go to Towing section and read about how to use that to calculate max trailer weight.
It would be nice if ford weighed the vehicle as it came off the line so we would really know the starting weight of the vehicle.
I can understand to know exactly what i can tow I need to load it up and head to the scales, however that's easier said that done. and for some of us we may find that were overweight when trying to weigh for the first time.

the second issue is just like the OP is there is no clear indication as to what tow package if any is installed based on the window sticker
I have done the vin lookup on my truck via codus or whatever its called and it does not show any tow package on my truck, my window sticker does not show any tow package on the truck, it lists trailer hitch as optional equipment

as my previous post stated there are 4 ways this could have been done, STD, 53A, 53B and 53 C
would it be beneficial for ford to indicate next to the hitch on the window sticker to notate if its STD, A, B or C?!?!!? I mean were talking 3 more alpha-numerics and it would answer alot of questions for owners.

My personal truck has the hitch installed at the factory, has 4/7 pin, has the trans cooler.
I added the TBC and had the dealer flash it, it all works
The only thing I am not 100% on is if i have the upgraded stabilizer bar
Old 09-05-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

You are not understanding correctly.

The truck has a sticker on it indicating the max loaded weight. It also states the max Payload (weight that can be added). Subtract one from the other, and you know what it should weigh.

The Payload tells you the weight you can add to the truck as well as weight from the trailer tongue. By subtracting the weight of you and your passengers, all options added by you (mats, bedrugs, tonneau covers), weight distribution hitch, and cargo, you get what is available.

Divide that by .13 and that is the max wet/loaded trailer you can tow with a weight distribution hitch.

Again, this is covered ad nauseam on the Towing section of the forum.
The following users liked this post:
swimmarz (09-05-2016)

Quick Reply: Purchase Help - Tow Package Info