Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price negotiations before order or after delivery?

Old 09-28-2015, 01:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Price negotiations before order or after delivery?

Saw a thread some time ago but went back 10 pages and couldn't find it...

Anyway, question is if people are negotiating price upon delivery of their custom order doesn't that put us at a disadvantage because if we walk away then don't we have to place another custom order someplace else and then wait again?

So is anyone negotiating price before placing order?

Waiting for the 16 build page so I can see everything then will place an order but want to see how others are going about this. I'd just hate to place an order wait a million years to find out the dealer won't budge.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:14 AM

Received 339 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Spicoli
Saw a thread some time ago but went back 10 pages and couldn't find it...

Anyway, question is if people are negotiating price upon delivery of their custom order doesn't that put us at a disadvantage because if we walk away then don't we have to place another custom order someplace else and then wait again?

So is anyone negotiating price before placing order?

Waiting for the 16 build page so I can see everything then will place an order but want to see how others are going about this. I'd just hate to place an order wait a million years to find out the dealer won't budge.
Negotiate it at time of order. Get a signed purchase and sale agreement with the caveat that it's subject to your approval at time of delivery.
The following users liked this post:
J.Spicoli (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 05:29 AM

Received 877 Likes on 561 Posts

+1...Negotiate when you order. Why would you place an order and not know what your going to pay for it?
The following users liked this post:
130428 (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 12:55 PM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

^ What they said! Makes no sense to wait till delivery, and there is NO advantage to waiting to negotiate.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by robbieg
+1...Negotiate when you order. Why would you place an order and not know what your going to pay for it?
Originally Posted by L.T.
^ What they said! Makes no sense to wait till delivery, and there is NO advantage to waiting to negotiate.

This is my thoughts too and as I'm getting closer I'm starting to think about how to go about this and thought I read some folks were negotiating after delivery.

Anyway, thanks for the insight guys.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:09 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Came across this thread a while back and searched it out again as I am in the process of getting quotes from dealers for a 16.. Emailed 6 dealers yesterday and so far have 1 quote. Anyway I was curious as to whether or not there was any advantage to actually placing the order at the end of the month, like they say you should do when just buying one off the lot.

For example, hypothetically: There's a truck at a dealership that I have my eye on and am ready to purchase. So I go in on the last day of the month to buy because the sales guys are itching to meet their quotas and I can possibly get a better deal.

Is it the same when placing a custom order for a vehicle?? Are they itching to get that order in the system because it goes towards their monthly quota? Or does it count when the vehicle is actually delivered and sold (at which point the price was already negotiated months ago)? Just a thought, right now I'm just trying to get a quote that isn't retail price
Old 10-16-2015, 04:46 AM

ja8799, I'm not sure how that works with custom orders but I'd say a sale is a sale and would most likely count when the truck is actually sold and not ordered. Just my guess though.

As far as getting quotes I called the places I was interested in and told them what I was doing. Basically built the truck I wanted on the build and price site and saved it in PDF then sent it to the dealers I talked to. I told them I was shopping around and that the best deal in the next day or so would win. I called 5 places and 4 got back to me with quotes all within a few hundred of invoice. But this is California where there is an abundance of dealers. I have a thread about it....

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/calif...stions-315904/

In the end I think my OTD is about $1,000 or so under MSRP.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Price negotiations before order or after delivery?