Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PowerTrax Limited Slip Differential

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 01:53 PM

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default PowerTrax Limited Slip Differential

Eaton doesn't make a TrueTrac for my 2015 XLT (8.8 rear end), so I started looking for options. Has anyone heard/used PowerTrax lsd - the part number is GT108834. Can't really find much about them, or reviews about them online.

Thanks - Adam.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:09 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I have those on my 88 Bronco, both front and rear axel, for about 4 years. They work great and have even withstood the punishment that a 16 year old puts that Bronco through (we installed them when he was 16 now he is 20). Had them on my 04 Wrangler, also both front and rear axel for 3 or four years before I installed air lockers, worked perfect on that application also.
Both vehicles would always spin all four tires when off roading even if only two tires were touching the ground! There on road manors are great, not as aggressive and a Detroit Locker, which made them easier to drive on wet roads.
I would recommend them.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by jjandascog
I have those on my 88 Bronco, both front and rear axel, for about 4 years. They work great and have even withstood the punishment that a 16 year old puts that Bronco through (we installed them when he was 16 now he is 20). Had them on my 04 Wrangler, also both front and rear axel for 3 or four years before I installed air lockers, worked perfect on that application also.
Both vehicles would always spin all four tires when off roading even if only two tires were touching the ground! There on road manors are great, not as aggressive and a Detroit Locker, which made them easier to drive on wet roads.
I would recommend them.
I won't be doing any off-roading, but I do get into some deep snow. I take the truck on the lakes for ice fishing, got stuck a couple times last year, looking to get a little more traction. I do a lot of highway driving - are there any negative driving characteristics with the PowerTrax? Is the drive train louder at highway speeds - do not want to put up with a drone for hours on end.

Thanks again - Adam.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:28 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I do a lot of highway driving - are there any negative driving characteristics with the PowerTrax? Is the drive train louder at highway speeds - do not want to put up with a drone for hours on end.
No increase in noise level that I have heard on when they were on the Wrangler, now the Bronco has full headers, with true dual exhaust through a set of Flowmaster outlaws so I could not tell you if there was a noise increase on that thing or not. Drivability is good the only thing to watch for is to much gas going around a corner (especially when wet) will kick the back end out since both tires will spin as opposed to just he inside wheel (all lockers will do this), there is a precaution about this in the instructions. Cannot say anything about snow, I live in Houston TX so no experience with that.

Last edited by jjandascog; 06-29-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:25 PM

Received 166 Likes on 91 Posts

the ford performance Mustang LSD and Torsion diffs work in our 8.8 rear ends.find a good ring and pinion shop shouldnt be more then $600 out the door.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:59 PM

Okay, for those of you that have an aftermarket LSD, are you having difficulties driving in wet/slippery conditions- especially driving through curves? Reading where some lose traction and start going sideways on wet roads during normal driving around curves. I don’t want to have to worry about driving whenever it starts to rain.

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:32 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyjockey
Okay, for those of you that have an aftermarket LSD, are you having difficulties driving in wet/slippery conditions- especially driving through curves? Reading where some lose traction and start going sideways on wet roads during normal driving around curves. I don’t want to have to worry about driving whenever it starts to rain.

Thanks.
Ford builds something like 60K F150s every *month*. All either have an open diff or an ELD. I suspect most are routinely driven in the rain... and people aren't spinning off the roads and dying by the thousand. If the only reason you want this is for driving in the rain... save your money.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 05:54 PM

I don’t have ELD - which can be turned on/off as needed. Looking at getting an aftermarket LSD which is always on - big difference. Don’t want it for driving in the rain, in fact, that is the time I most likely don’t want it. Looking to get for time I encounter deep snow where 4wd is not always sufficient.

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

I don’t have ELD - which can be turned on/off as needed. Looking at getting an aftermarket LSD which is always on - big difference. Don’t want it for driving in the rain, in fact, that is the time I most likely don’t want it. Looking to get for time I encounter deep snow where 4wd is not always sufficient.

Thanks.
OK, brain didn't parse that correctly. I was wondering if you were looking at dropping the coin on an LSD just for rain!
Old 07-01-2018, 06:47 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Thanks.
Are you confusing a limited slip with a locking diff?
Your 2015 has traction control anyway, which should partially help prevent ***-over-teacup negotiating turns in the rain.

Quick Reply: PowerTrax Limited Slip Differential