Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power running boards out 5mph defeat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power running boards out 5mph defeat?

I have the Ford power running boards on my KR, and I also have two little ones at home under the age of four. It's only a matter of time before someone gets fingers, hands, etc., pinched as they fold up into the truck.

Is there a setting or defeat to the 5 mph limit when you set the boards out in the menu? Best I've been doing is setting the boards out when we stop, but it is a pain to do every time. I would like to just leave them out all the time ideally, for now.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:12 AM

can you add the power boards aftermarket?
Old 09-08-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Benaggie01
I have the Ford power running boards on my KR, and I also have two little ones at home under the age of four. It's only a matter of time before someone gets fingers, hands, etc., pinched as they fold up into the truck.

Is there a setting or defeat to the 5 mph limit when you set the boards out in the menu? Best I've been doing is setting the boards out when we stop, but it is a pain to do every time. I would like to just leave them out all the time ideally, for now.
Im not aware of a speed limit being a option for retracting them. Cant you just set them to down on the dash? Or is what your saying is that if you do it resets every time you shut the truck off?

If the kiddos are close enough to get there fingers caught in the steps wouldn't you hit them with the door when closing it? Im trying to picture how this could happen.

If you seriously think its going to be a issue id remove them and once they get older reinstall them.

Originally Posted by jerryo23
can you add the power boards aftermarket?
It has factory power boards why would he want to remove them and go aftermarket when the aftermarket boards don't do what he wants either.

Wayne
Old 09-08-2015, 11:36 AM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

I thought there was a safety feature built in that will make them retract when encountering any resistance?

I have the AMP steps on my truck (aftermarket) and I cannot get them to close on my hand. I was told AMP is the supplier for Ford so I thought they would be the same. I could be wrong.

Have you tested it? Maybe put something (not your kids hand) in the way of the boards and see if they keep closing?
The following 2 users liked this post by BoozeDaily:
kendive (09-08-2015), RACER X (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 12:32 PM

Received 367 Likes on 283 Posts

Booze is correct. Look it up on youtube I think there is a video showing them putting there hand and arm in the way and they stop...

This is like the ones Booze and I have the Real Amp Research Running Boards with there controller.

You can tell what Ford uses is a little different boards and most likely using there own controller. You would have to test on your own.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts

prob. everything is made by amp, just "changed" to whatever whims ford has, dunno how it'd be any diff though.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:36 PM
Saved by Grace

Received 262 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by BoozeDaily
...Have you tested it? Maybe put something (not your kids hand) in the way of the boards and see if they keep closing?
You might want to stick something like a dry sponge in there. That way if it doesn't retract, you won't damage anything. It should be hard enough to trigger the system, yet pliable enough not to damage anything if it doesn't.

Let us know what you find out...
Old 09-08-2015, 12:46 PM

Im not sure of the resistance setting for the stop but in the manual of the AMPs it says to place foot on the step to add resistance to keep it in the down position.

Wayne
Old 09-08-2015, 12:46 PM

I just tried it with a dry sponge. It actually took two sponges to trigger the release again. One sponge wasn't enough resistance, so still not completely sure if a small finger or two would trigger the release. A hand I'm sure would trigger the boards to pop back out, so maybe OK?

Either way would be nice to have the option, if someone's aware of a computer or other setting to change.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:47 PM

Try scrolling through the option screen in the dash or flipping through the owners manual. It may have something but as I said before, I haven't heard of such a feature.

Wayne

Quick Reply: power running boards out 5mph defeat?