Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power to Gentex rearview mirror on XLT

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 11:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Gentex mirror with Homelink upgrade

I'm adding a Gentex mirror with auto-dimming and Homelink. My truck came with a basic mirror with no power feed. I was originally planning to piggyback off the overhead console but not sure what wires are what. I ended up running wires down the right a-pillar but not sure what I could piggyback off of on or around the interior fusebox. Any input on best option for my power source? I only need a constant and a switched.

Last edited by ed1le; 05-31-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:44 AM

I'm sure I'm not the first to have done this...?
Old 05-31-2016, 06:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed.

I wired in my radar detector, and used a switched fuse from the fuse box. Since I also had an XLT I did not have the heated steering wheel. That fuse is switched. I used an
add a fuse link add a fuse link
into that location for my switched power, there were also many constant on sources in the same location that could be used. For a ground I just used a self tapping screw into the crash pad bracket by the fuse panel.

I am looking at doing the same install of a homelink mirror but have run into some problems.

Since my truck is a 302a, it includes auto dimming rear view and drivers side mirror. This means tow things, 1st that my factory mirror takes a signal from the truck when it is in reverse to disable the auto dimming feature. 2nd it also serves as the controller to my drivers side mirror, so in order to install the gentex homelink mirror I would need to find out how to pass that signal from the gentex mirror (when it senses it should auto dim) to the drivers side mirror.

For these reasons I just ran power and ground the the radar detector and wanted to wait around until I could go through the process with someone else.

Is your truck equipped with auto dimming drivers mirror and rear view?
Old 05-31-2016, 07:18 AM

Thanks for the link-those are perfect!

No, mine doesn't have auto dimming. It's just a manual review mirror so there was no power supply to it at all.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought an XLT 302A. Thanks for the info re the driver side dim controlled by the rearview mirror sensor. I'm looking at a Gentex frameless mirror for visibility, aesthetics, and homelink buttons.

Quick Reply: Power to Gentex rearview mirror on XLT