Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential 1st time truck owner questions - Coming from Lexus/Acura SUVs

Old 07-29-2018, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Potential 1st time truck owner questions - Coming from Lexus/Acura SUVs

Hello all, I am hoping to be able to get some input from people that made a similar move as us. We are looking for a vehicle to replace our current company vehicle, Lexus NX200T SUV. We actually need quite bit more space this time around, and I was unimpressed with the GX, which was next size up in our budget. As for use, we use it primarily for deliveries, but also it will be my primary vehicle when meeting with clients, visiting other centers within our franchise, etc. IN essences, basic business use, some deliveries and picking up supplies, but more executive use than just a work truck.

Having never owned a truck I had a few questions, a couple of which are probably just myths for non truck owners. I am debating between a 2018 Platinum or Lariat configured similarly. LOVED the Raptor, but no leases. No lease no go.

1. Are trucks less capable in terms of slippery conditions and highway driving? Frequently throughout the year we attend workshops and training sessions, some with staff, that are located within about 200 miles of our center in northern Indiana and it's lake effect snow. I have been told by many that AWD is much better for the conditions than trucks, whether they be 4WD or 2WD. Our previous Acura MDX with SH-AWD held up like a champ, even when we got 36+" of snow in a day, as did my current Lexus, thought not as much as the MDX, but both are too small for our uses now. We also manage properties and will need to transport building materials on occasion.

2. Are trucks as hard to maneuver in parking spaces as people claim for newbies? We would be looking at the smaller ones, crew cab, 5 1/2' bed, the wheel base didn't seem that much bigger than my Acura? Ex. Chicago streets, parking garages, etc.

3. This is the big one; coming from Lexus and Acura, I have been told that reliability will be much worse regardless of which brand of truck I go with and I should account for more time in service. I haven't had an issue with my past 4 vehicles, Honda, Lexus, Acura and Lexus. I see a LOT of these vehicles on the road, I can't image that they are that bad. Of all of the trucks we looked at, only the F150 Platinum and Lariat or the new Ram 1500 Limited and Laramie are even being considered. Nothing else seems close, both of them were easily as luxurious if not more luxurious than any of the import SUV's we have looked at in the past, BMW and Audi included, especially the Platinum and '19 Ram Limited. The Toyota Tundra seemed to stack up reliability wise according to many sources, but they are WAY behind Ford and Ram in terms of amenities, tech and general comfort features. 13 mpg in 2018?? Really? In reference to my options, from what I have read, Ford is traditionaly more reliable than Ram.

Also, from what I have gathered, the Ford, specifically the Platinum and Lariat seem to be the choice of many professionals that need the capabilities of a light duty truck, but also use it for more than just a work truck. While we don't drive a lot of miles (15k-17k miles per year , even mix of highway and city), we drive often and are in the vehicle quite a bit. My wife and I both liked the Ford Platinum, it felt like a large luxury sedan inside.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. My lease is up in November. Lexus Financial agreed to extend my lease up to 6 months in case the vehicle I will be moving into is not available. So if there is a better time to lease than others, I could hold out, provided that it is before March/April.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-01-2018, 04:19 PM

Received 257 Likes on 167 Posts

Straight up.. coming from your Lexus... Get an F150 King Ranch, or Limited, or Platinum... and you will be happy and giggly!

To your questions... 1. With Auto-4, you are good to go in slippery situations, and you go places with your F150, you could not dream of going with your past cars. And get the SuperCrew... largest back seat in the industry, and the floor is completely FLAT, making it a great cargo space as well.

2. No truck is as nimble as your Acura - Trucks are is factually longer and wider... but after the learning curve, you will find you can put it pretty much any place you want to, plus you have the advantage to make a shortcut by jump those curbs between parking lots .

3. Bottom Line... Ford has a good reputation for making long lasting trucks. straight up!

I am looking forward to getting many years, and 300k miles on my 16' Lariat!

Oh.. and I traded in my 09' Cadillac SRX, and my Ford is far more luxurious and techie then my Cadillac was.
The following 2 users liked this post by Professor Wizard:
CR Sig88 (08-01-2018), seabeeadp (03-11-2022)
Old 08-01-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

There is more to consider for business purposes. If you are unfamiliar with IRS Section 179, study up.
If you were to deviate from the 5.5' bed truck and move to the 6.5'....you can deduct the entire vehicle the first year (It must have a bed length of 6' or longer and be used minimally 50% for business purposes).
Typically, in my industry, we see Lariat/Laramie as the entry level trims for professional titles, though there are exceptions to every rule.
Lariat and above get the 4A option on the transfer case (it's more AWD than 4wd).
As with anything you drive, you'll adapt to it. You mentioned driving/parking in the city, so it could be beneficial to get the 360* camera system because it will allow you to easily pull right up to walls & obstacles.
Beyond that, just pick what you like. Worst case is, what,...pawning it off on a subordinate or getting something different next time?
The following users liked this post:
CR Sig88 (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the input, my wife and I just test drove a Lariat for the first time today. Up until today, we only got to sit in them on the lot. It wasn't as equipped as what we would go with, but we were both HIGHLY impressed. Yesterday we test drove a Mercedes SUV and we both agreed that the Lariat was more comfortable to drive and just be a passenger. We did find the drive height pretty awesome too, we both liked the much better vantage point we had of the road.

That's good to know about Auto 4, we were always under the impression that trucks, with the open back end and drive system, were harder to drive on the highway in slick conditions. We get some pretty wicked weather at times.

Also, that is interesting about the bed length, my accountant did bring up section 179, but only in passing when he knew that we were a few months from replacing our current lease. I didn't think any 150's qualified because of weight, but that is good to know that there is a configuration that could. I am not sure we have room in our garage though, the 5 1/2' bed looked like it was about at the limit. I will ask about the 4A option.

We were both very impressed though, the Ford just seems to be the best bet. They located a Platinum within our area in the color we were looking for (Black/Black). At $66,400, it was configured a little higher than we originally planned, but with the discounting and Ford rebates, it may work, just waiting for the Aug lease numbers to see where it falls and then check market pricing and compare against a purchase before accountant will sign off.

Again, the input is much appreciated. Thanks!
seabeeadp (03-11-2022)
Old 08-02-2018, 12:03 AM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

The truck versus SUV comparison has some unique issues. Everything that you haul in an SUV stays dry. To stay dry in truck you need a camper top, a tarp, a bed cover, or something similar. You can haul more length in an SUV, depending on the bed length of the truck you compare against. If you get a super or a crew cab, you get a shorter bed, unless you get one of the super long trucks. To haul long pieces of lumber in a truck you need a rack, and if you want to keep it dry it takes extra effort. I found that my SUV could haul longer cargo, with extra work to get it in there, but a pickup is simple and easy for general short cargo. Also, don't overlook the overall length of most trucks. My short bed truck which can't haul the length of lumber that my old SUV could is still longer in the driveway. Trucks like space.

I like my short bed truck but my old SUV had some definite advantages.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:10 AM

Received 147 Likes on 108 Posts

If you want luxury definitely go to plat or limited. The lariat is ok but leather quality is poor at best. And 4auto is standard. Works very good.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:23 AM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

Navigator? Expedition EL?
Old 08-02-2018, 12:37 AM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

Based on what you seem to want, go with a Platinum/King Ranch/Limited.

Compared to a fully loaded Lariat, you get nicer leather, massage seats, added safety features, etc.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:40 AM

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by CR Sig88
Hello all, I am hoping to be able to get some input from people that made a similar move as us. We are looking for a vehicle to replace our current company vehicle, Lexus NX200T SUV. We actually need quite bit more space this time around, and I was unimpressed with the GX, which was next size up in our budget. As for use, we use it primarily for deliveries, but also it will be my primary vehicle when meeting with clients, visiting other centers within our franchise, etc. IN essences, basic business use, some deliveries and picking up supplies, but more executive use than just a work truck.

Having never owned a truck I had a few questions, a couple of which are probably just myths for non truck owners. I am debating between a 2018 Platinum or Lariat configured similarly. LOVED the Raptor, but no leases. No lease no go.

1. Are trucks less capable in terms of slippery conditions and highway driving? Frequently throughout the year we attend workshops and training sessions, some with staff, that are located within about 200 miles of our center in northern Indiana and it's lake effect snow. I have been told by many that AWD is much better for the conditions than trucks, whether they be 4WD or 2WD. Our previous Acura MDX with SH-AWD held up like a champ, even when we got 36+" of snow in a day, as did my current Lexus, thought not as much as the MDX, but both are too small for our uses now. We also manage properties and will need to transport building materials on occasion.

2. Are trucks as hard to maneuver in parking spaces as people claim for newbies? We would be looking at the smaller ones, crew cab, 5 1/2' bed, the wheel base didn't seem that much bigger than my Acura? Ex. Chicago streets, parking garages, etc.

3. This is the big one; coming from Lexus and Acura, I have been told that reliability will be much worse regardless of which brand of truck I go with and I should account for more time in service. I haven't had an issue with my past 4 vehicles, Honda, Lexus, Acura and Lexus. I see a LOT of these vehicles on the road, I can't image that they are that bad. Of all of the trucks we looked at, only the F150 Platinum and Lariat or the new Ram 1500 Limited and Laramie are even being considered. Nothing else seems close, both of them were easily as luxurious if not more luxurious than any of the import SUV's we have looked at in the past, BMW and Audi included, especially the Platinum and '19 Ram Limited. The Toyota Tundra seemed to stack up reliability wise according to many sources, but they are WAY behind Ford and Ram in terms of amenities, tech and general comfort features. 13 mpg in 2018?? Really? In reference to my options, from what I have read, Ford is traditionaly more reliable than Ram.

Also, from what I have gathered, the Ford, specifically the Platinum and Lariat seem to be the choice of many professionals that need the capabilities of a light duty truck, but also use it for more than just a work truck. While we don't drive a lot of miles (15k-17k miles per year , even mix of highway and city), we drive often and are in the vehicle quite a bit. My wife and I both liked the Ford Platinum, it felt like a large luxury sedan inside.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. My lease is up in November. Lexus Financial agreed to extend my lease up to 6 months in case the vehicle I will be moving into is not available. So if there is a better time to lease than others, I could hold out, provided that it is before March/April.

Thanks in advance!
1. My truck was excellent in all conditions. I mean that. I live in Minnesota and I have never once felt a lack of confidence. That being said, I had good tires. That's just as important as the vehicle itself. Using auto 4WD (not the same as AWD) combined with traction control gets pretty close to simulating AWD.

2. Yeah...they can be...they're bigger. If you're anything like me, I park at the back of the lot anyway to avoid carts and kids dinging my doors. Besides...the adjustment is no different than adjusting to parking any other vehicle.

3. Yes. It most likely will be. I'm biased...I'm going through arbitration on mine. However...all the brands you mentioned have their problems too. I have owned Nissans, Hondas, and Toyotas. None of them have been trouble-free. That being said, the more electronics you put on these trucks...the more problems you will have. I have a Platinum with the technology package and not one of the additional features works as it should. As is the case with all trucks available today...they are just not as reliable. Whether it's the technology or designing engines and transmissions closer to their design limits in hopes that the computer is going to prevent major malfunctions (when in fact, the electronics, more often than not, actually create the problems to begin with), you just have to expect it.

If you're set on a truck, do your research on which brands stand behind their products the best. They are all going to have problems...it's how the manufacturer handles it when it happens. Also, take a look at complaint aggregation sites and sales numbers and figure out complaints/100. The results might be surprising. As always, do your research. Read about the different engines, pay attention to this forum (and others) as it is an absolutely invaluable tool to learn about what issues people are commonly seeing and their experiences with getting them resolved.

Best of luck in your truck search.
CR Sig88 (08-12-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 11:33 AM

Received 3,521 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Reliability

I've had excellent results with my personal Ford trucks.

I supervised a fleet of emergency vehicles and Ford was the most reliable.
CR Sig88 (08-12-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Potential 1st time truck owner questions - Coming from Lexus/Acura SUVs