Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Sunroof Creaking/rattle fix!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 03:35 PM

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Sunroof Creaking/rattle fixed! Simple fix!

UPDATED ON 08-16-2017:
So i found the actual problem!!!! Its the rear glass mounting tabs! The noise can be coming from any of them on either side. The TSB will only fix the problem temporarily because it gets lubricant into that gap for a short time. The top of the mounting tabs are right up against the body of the truck when the glass is flush and they rub the clear coat and make noise when the truck goes over pretty much anything! Use a T25 Torx and loosen the screw, apply some grease AND a small piece of felt tape to the top of the tab. Push the glass up and retighten the screw. Presto! Took days of poking around, but that's definitely the culprit!

ORIGINAL POST REMOVED
Attached Thumbnails Possible Sunroof Creaking/rattle fix!-picsart_08_16_09_17_20_a8a5538ea3cfa7b75617addbe2a0566d2a9bbf5f.jpg  

Last edited by IronCobra; 11-27-2018 at 10:39 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by IronCobra:
aicdan2000 (03-18-2021), B737 (10-25-2022), HeavyCal (03-25-2019), PaulGinAZ (12-08-2019), tdog02 (11-29-2018), tinner1 (08-14-2017), xxxkahunaxxx (01-01-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-14-2017, 04:20 PM

Received 1,317 Likes on 1,232 Posts

I had a 2016 with the duel moonroof and found the perfect fix for the constant rattle that was coming from it and was driving me nuts. I traded it off for a 2017 with no moonroof. I wouldn't own another one with the moonroof again.
The following 2 users liked this post by nampa45:
csmpez (01-31-2019), gopherman (11-26-2018)
Old 08-14-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 178 Likes on 147 Posts

IronCobra-I would assume that you had to remove the pillar covers in order to drop the headliner down far enough so you could add the tape. Suggestions?
Old 08-14-2017, 05:52 PM

No sir. It just pulls down without removing anything. Very quick and simple. No tools.
The following 2 users liked this post by IronCobra:
PaulGinAZ (01-21-2020), xxxkahunaxxx (01-01-2020)
Old 08-14-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Certainly gonna try this today. Had my truck for 3 weeks and I'm already getting rattles, driving me nuts
Old 08-14-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
So I own a 2017 F350 Super Duty. Picked it up the day it arrived at the dealership (June 19th 2017 build date). I picked it up on Aug 3rd. Everything was perfect, until a really HOT August 7th (4 days after picking it up). It started as a minor creaking/tapping noise originating from the driver side mid-section of the sunroof where near where the two panel touch. It turned into a slightly louder but infinitely more annoying version of the same noise amplified. I have tried EVERYTHING I could think of, including cleaning it all and adding padding as well as Krytox to the rubber (like the F150 TSB).

Yesterday afternoon while driving around pissed off at the noise, I decided to probe a different area. I stuck my hand between the sunroof soft cover (while closed) and the edge of the trim (see pic) and pulled down pretty hard. WOW, the sound went away. Seriously, it completely stopped. When I would release the headliner it would return, sometimes worse. I decided to pop the headliner down in that area to inspect. Low and behold I found it's attached with magnets and not plastic clips...interesting. It appeared that there may be some parts making contact in that general area between the headliner and the roof, so I added 1/2" thick blocks of foam tape I had laying around. Once I pressed the headliner back up (it magnetically will reattach) I took it for a drive and PRESTO! No more noise!

Perhaps those who perform the TSB or taking it to the shop are only hearing the noise go away for a short period of time because it somehow shifts the headliner slightly but returns when driving causes the headliner to shift back.

Not sure. All I know is that the noise is completely gone! I'm still pissed that my 2017 Super Duty had the problem in the first place. but I'm happy now...unless that sound comes back.... Then I'm buying a Kia.
This is definitely where my creaking comes from as well. If I push up on my headliner right in that area it stops. When I let it go it starts again. I've been trying to figure out what to shove in there to make it stop. What are your arrows pointing to? Is that where you put the tape?
Old 08-14-2017, 08:49 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

If this solves my problem I owe you my sanity
The following users liked this post:
Driverreturnsonfoot (10-28-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 10:20 PM

So i found the actual problem!!!! Its the rear glass mounting tabs! The noise can be coming from any of them on either side. The TSB will only fix the problem temporarily because it gets lubricant into that gap for a short time. The top of the mounting tabs are right up against the body of the truck when the glass is flush and they rub the clear coat and make noise when the truck goes over pretty much anything! Use a T25 Torx and loosen the screw, apply some grease AND a small piece of felt tape to the top of the tab. Push the glass up and retighten the screw. Presto! Took days of poking around, but that's definitely the culprit!
xxxkahunaxxx (01-01-2020)
Old 08-16-2017, 10:54 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
Do you need to take the headliner down (obviously i think the answer is yes, but how much of it and how labor intensive is it to do) do you need to access this part. Do you have to take out the a and b pillar panels in order for it to drop? Any write up would be awesome on this, seriously I love my truck but want to smash a sledgehammer through the sunroof it's so annoying.
xxxkahunaxxx (01-01-2020)
Old 08-16-2017, 11:07 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

Ive read the TSB that Ford has put out and it says to use a specific lubricant on the gasket around the glass panels. I can see that that would only work for a little while until the lubricant dries out or is washed away (as these roofs are designed to leak, there is a channel around the roof opening with drain tubes down the front A posts). However, for me, the rattling sound stops as soon as I open my front panel.

It would be interesting to see how well your fix works and for how long.

Co-incidentally I had my front glass panel replaced under warranty as the gasket peeled away and got stuck and cut on the right side. According to the dealership it was a $1700 piece of glass. I would sure hate to have to pay that when its off warranty and the gasket breaks again.

Quick Reply: Possible Sunroof Creaking/rattle fix!