Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible 10 speed woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 05:46 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Default Possible 10 speed woes

Was hoping to not have a problem with this thing.
A number of times when taking off with just over an idle in 1st gear, it appears the trans doesn't want to shift into 2nd. It's like it goes to neutral, engine speeds up, then goes into 2nd pretty hard. I've removed my tune, and haven't taken it back out yet to see if it does in Sport mode. Been happening on first shift after a cold start, and a couple times after running for an hour or so.
Anyone have this, or any info or suggestions?
Old 04-12-2019, 05:51 PM

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine started doing the almost exact same thing a month or so ago; except it would skip 2nd and go to 3rd after the delayed shift. Took it in a couple weeks ago and had them look at it when i had the oil change done. They re-flashed the PCM as per TSB 18-2079. Has been working fine ever since.
The following users liked this post:
johnday in BFE (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 06:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a coincidence. I put mine in sport the other night and gave her about half throttle. It hung up on 3rd and wouldnt shift, then threw the wrench icon. Cleared it and did it again with any mashing of the pedal. That was on a SCT 93 tune so I put it back to 87 and gonna see if it still does it. If it does, i'll put it back to stock and check. Then its off to the dealer to figure out. 7k miles :eyeroll:
Old 04-12-2019, 06:30 PM
Village Sociopath

I had it in last summer and they did the trans reflash for the surging issue. I've only put "maybe" 1500 miles on it since, sitting at just over 9700 now.
Now that I'm back to stock, I'll take it out tomorrow and check it out again. If it is my tune, not really a big deal, I'll just get a hold of MPT and talk with them. They're good at solving your problem with a tune.
If it's the TCM or something else, I'll take it to my buddies at the dealer. Hope it's simple, the way things are going with backordered parts, no telling how long I'd be in one their trucks.
RGRT421 (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 06:54 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

This is my only real complaint with my 10 speed. If it's cold, especially if I didn't remote start it and let it warm up, it will hang in first gear before dropping to 2nd. It doesn't slam, just seems like a long/"slippy" shift. After it does it once, it never does it again. I've always chalked it up to an oddity of this transmission.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:40 PM
Village Sociopath

Originally Posted by tvsjr
This is my only real complaint with my 10 speed. If it's cold, especially if I didn't remote start it and let it warm up, it will hang in first gear before dropping to 2nd. It doesn't slam, just seems like a long/"slippy" shift. After it does it once, it never does it again. I've always chalked it up to an oddity of this transmission.
That what this was doing too, until the last week or so. Like you, I just figured it was the nature of the beast. I assume you aren't tuned? That's good to hear if you're not, helps me to eliminate that. Thinking back, it seems to do this after I'm in reverse backing out of the barn and elsewhere, then stop, and go to drive. Just another thought I'll have to check out.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:19 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Nope, bone stock (well, performance-wise). Built 6/1/18. Never been back to the dealer... I don't know if I'm eligible for the transmission reprogram TSB. If so, I should probably get that done... need to do the B-pillar recall as well.

The 10-speeds are also somewhat strange going reverse to drive. The old 4R100s and even 6R80s you could drop from reverse to drive without being at a *complete and total* standstill, and they didn't care. Common practice in pursuit driving. The 10R doesn't like that too much.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:42 PM

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TeXLT
What a coincidence. I put mine in sport the other night and gave her about half throttle. It hung up on 3rd and wouldnt shift, then threw the wrench icon. Cleared it and did it again with any mashing of the pedal. That was on a SCT 93 tune so I put it back to 87 and gonna see if it still does it. If it does, i'll put it back to stock and check. Then its off to the dealer to figure out. 7k miles :eyeroll:
If you're running a tune, how is it up to the dealer to fix it?
Old 04-12-2019, 08:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
If you're running a tune, how is it up to the dealer to fix it?
I was stating that if it's in the tune, then its on me or the tuning company. If its something that still happens when its all stock, then that should be covered or at least looked at by a Ford tech who knows these trucks better than I.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:49 PM
Village Sociopath

Interesting, I didn't know that. What happens with the 10R if you're not at a total/complete stop? I'm pretty certain I do have it stopped, spent too long with nonsynchro trans, always had to be dead stopped to go from reverse to 1st/low.

Quick Reply: Possible 10 speed woes