Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugs replaced on 2017 v8 after 10k miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plugs replaced on 2017 v8 after 10k miles

Just checking to see if anyone else has experienced something similar, since I didn't see anything from a quick search.

With the polar vortex here in MI, we hit -17F without windchill. During that time our 2017 v8 SCREW struggled to start one day and ran pretty rough but eventually ran fine after warming up. The check engine light came on and the dealer pulled a P0316 code but they were unable to reproduce the behavior so they sent the truck home. The next week, it had similar issues for cold starts (~12 hours) but started up fine a number of times. We called the dealer and they said it would be best to wait for the check engine light to come back on since it wasn't consistent. After a few days the check engine light came on again so I took it back to the dealer right away. They had the truck for 4 days and were able to reproduce the issue and determined it was misfires on multiple cylinders during cold starts. I talked with the mechanic who worked on the truck because the plugs should last a lot longer than 10k miles but he hadn't seen this before and could only think it was triggered by the cold weather which shouldn't happen. He said the plugs had fouled but weren't the worst he has seen in the past. Also, they checked out a lot of the other components on the truck including intake manifold, injectors, fuel rail, o2 sensors, checked for bad gas, ... Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 02-22-2019, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

when you were driving the truck how long did you run it?
Old 02-22-2019, 12:55 PM

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Hufnagel
Just checking to see if anyone else has experienced something similar, since I didn't see anything from a quick search.

With the polar vortex here in MI, we hit -17F without windchill. During that time our 2017 v8 SCREW struggled to start one day and ran pretty rough but eventually ran fine after warming up. The check engine light came on and the dealer pulled a P0316 code but they were unable to reproduce the behavior so they sent the truck home. The next week, it had similar issues for cold starts (~12 hours) but started up fine a number of times. We called the dealer and they said it would be best to wait for the check engine light to come back on since it wasn't consistent. After a few days the check engine light came on again so I took it back to the dealer right away. They had the truck for 4 days and were able to reproduce the issue and determined it was misfires on multiple cylinders during cold starts. I talked with the mechanic who worked on the truck because the plugs should last a lot longer than 10k miles but he hadn't seen this before and could only think it was triggered by the cold weather which shouldn't happen. He said the plugs had fouled but weren't the worst he has seen in the past. Also, they checked out a lot of the other components on the truck including intake manifold, injectors, fuel rail, o2 sensors, checked for bad gas, ... Has this happened to anyone else?
Are you using E85? Did they say what adaptive fuel strategy it was using? Mine had that problem, and after two tank refills it finally switched to a gas strategy (I've never had E85 in my truck...) which means the commanded AFR was all jacked up. That can cause problems with plugs if you're too lean/too rich.

Last edited by gopherman; 02-22-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:03 PM

Received 271 Likes on 183 Posts

If youve only got 10k on your 2 year old truck I am assuming that you either a) dont drive it much, or b) lots of short trips. Either one is not good for a vehicle.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. Here's some updates:

I've never run E85 in the truck, just standard 87 gas. I did not ask about the adaptive fuel strategy it was using..

We bought the truck as the 2018 models were coming out and have owned it for 15 months. We probably drive the truck every other day, most trips are at least 20 minutes but I wouldn't expect that to damage the plugs.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:17 PM

Received 271 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Hufnagel
Thanks for the replies so far. Here's some updates:

I've never run E85 in the truck, just standard 87 gas. I did not ask about the adaptive fuel strategy it was using..

We bought the truck as the 2018 models were coming out and have owned it for 15 months. We probably drive the truck every other day, most trips are at least 20 minutes but I wouldn't expect that to damage the plugs.
Yeah thats plenty enough driving for sure. Ive never heard of plugs fouling that quick these days unless something is wrong with the fuel or air delivery.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:32 PM

Received 137 Likes on 81 Posts

I changed plugs on my '18 5.0 at 6k. Bought the truck in Feb '18 after it sat on the lot for 3 months of winter. It ran fine during test drive but on the drive home, after they had filled it with fuel, it ran poorly. When I finally refilled the tank, it ran somewhat better but not as good as I'd expec a new one to run. Finally, after the dealer said it was fine(no codes shown), I ran a can of BK fuel system cleaner through it, a couple more tanks of gas, then changed the plugs. Runs like a top since.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by MotoMike
I changed plugs on my '18 5.0 at 6k. Bought the truck in Feb '18 after it sat on the lot for 3 months of winter. It ran fine during test drive but on the drive home, after they had filled it with fuel, it ran poorly. When I finally refilled the tank, it ran somewhat better but not as good as I'd expec a new one to run. Finally, after the dealer said it was fine(no codes shown), I ran a can of BK fuel system cleaner through it, a couple more tanks of gas, then changed the plugs. Runs like a top since.
How did your plugs look when you pulled them? I didn't get a chance to look at the ones they pulled since they were already sent off.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:10 AM

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rngtrtl
If youve only got 10k on your 2 year old truck I am assuming that you either a) dont drive it much, or b) lots of short trips. Either one is not good for a vehicle.
Just put maybe 2,000 miles a year on vehicles, all in town with no motor running issues. So the BS its bad for a vehicle is just that. Trade every 3-4 years and when do, running just
as good as the day took delivery. whether a Ford or GM. Even a Corvette C7 had (all my vettes) maybe put 500 miles a year, just drove around town too, Not a problem with any
of them in running, ran smooth not a miss.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:22 AM

Received 335 Likes on 209 Posts

Just a guess...... Sounds like an injector that is slowly leaking down and flooding out a cylinder then clears up the flooded condition as the engine runs. These leaks can be slow enough to not cause issues while running, just leaking enough to flood a cylinder if the vehicle sits long enough. The test for it isn't difficult, just a fuel pressure gauge with the fuel rail isolated. If the pressure drops a specified amount over night then it's a matter of figuring out which cylinder.

Quick Reply: Plugs replaced on 2017 v8 after 10k miles