Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plowing with the F150 (Explanation and Questions Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Plowing with the F150 (Explanation and Questions Inside)

Looking for some feedback on personal plowing with the F150.

I'm building a self-storage facility on roughly 10 acres. It's a large site, with lots of aisles/pavement/plowing that will need to be done. Located in Illinois, so some winters we have 3 snows, and some winters we have 10 snows where plowing would be required.

I intend to plow the facility myself and would like to use my F150 instead of purchasing an F250.

I intend to convert my F150 (2015 Lariat with FX4) from my daily driver, to the facilities vehicle (meaning it will stay at the facility, and be used around the facility to maintain it and support the business).

I know and F150 "can" plow, but shouldn't. I also understand that an F250 would be the better choice for commercial plowing.

However, for cost savings, and since I will be only plowing for myself on the facility (and not commercial plowing with many accounts/contracts/etc)...should the F150 be able to handle this task?

I would think this is "light duty" plowing, and a 2015 F150 should be more than capable, but...had a few questions I was hoping the pros could answer for me.

- What components on an F150 would be the first to fail from this amount of plowing?

- Are there any component I could/should upgrade now to handle this task?

- What maintenance would be good maintenance to do on a regular basis to ensure the truck doesn't fall apart from this amount of plowing.

- Even for plowing just my own facility, am I crazy to consider the F150 and should FOR SURE move to a F250?

Thanks for any help/input.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:00 PM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by KatTruck
Looking for some feedback on personal plowing with the F150.

I'm building a self-storage facility on roughly 10 acres. It's a large site, with lots of aisles/pavement/plowing that will need to be done. Located in Illinois, so some winters we have 3 snows, and some winters we have 10 snows where plowing would be required.

I intend to plow the facility myself and would like to use my F150 instead of purchasing an F250.

I intend to convert my F150 (2015 Lariat with FX4) from my daily driver, to the facilities vehicle (meaning it will stay at the facility, and be used around the facility to maintain it and support the business).

I know and F150 "can" plow, but shouldn't. I also understand that an F250 would be the better choice for commercial plowing.

However, for cost savings, and since I will be only plowing for myself on the facility (and not commercial plowing with many accounts/contracts/etc)...should the F150 be able to handle this task?

I would think this is "light duty" plowing, and a 2015 F150 should be more than capable, but...had a few questions I was hoping the pros could answer for me.

- What components on an F150 would be the first to fail from this amount of plowing?

- Are there any component I could/should upgrade now to handle this task?

- What maintenance would be good maintenance to do on a regular basis to ensure the truck doesn't fall apart from this amount of plowing.

- Even for plowing just my own facility, am I crazy to consider the F150 and should FOR SURE move to a F250?

Thanks for any help/input.
What engine do you have? The 3.5L Ecoboost wasn't used because the plow's blade blocks air flow through the intake charge air cooler.

If you have a 5.0L have you considered adding the Snow Plow Prep Package? Here's a thread on adding the Snow Plow Prep Pkg:

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2015-...trofit-381030/

You do realize a Lariat with the Snow Plow Prep Package uses the ESOF transfer case in lieu of the 2-Speed Torque on Demand transfer case.

Last edited by tmcolegr; 11-26-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by tmcolegr
What engine do you have? The 3.5L Ecoboost wasn't used because the plow's blade blocks air flow through the intake charge air cooler.

If you have a 5.0L have you considered adding the Snow Plow Prep Package? Here's a thread on adding the Snow Plow Prep Pkg:

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2015-...trofit-381030/

You do realize a Lariat with the Snow Plow Prep Package uses the ESOF transfer case in lieu of the 2-Speed Torque on Demand transfer case.
Thanks for the link. I will look into it.

Is there a specific reasons why I would need the plow prep package or switch the transfer case?

Maybe I don't understand the purpose of it, and thus don't understand the need for it.

Had a mount and plow put onto my Jeep Wrangler (for home use), and that worked without issue for a few years. Of course, I only plowed 2 driveways for a few years, but there was no need for anything beyond a plow + plow mount + plow wiring harness.

Couldn't the same be done on the Lariat? (Install a plow + plow mount + plow wiring harness) and be good to go?
Old 11-26-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I plow my driveway here in Maine with my F150. I do not use the snow plow switch because I don't have anything that it would shut-off. I have a Fisher 7.5' and the factory tires and just add about 400# when I'm plowing. The truck does a fine job with every storm we've had, and some of them have been over 12". Put the truck in 4H and use your head. If you have a electric pump, which most of them are, just keep your eye on the battery charge. After a long day it might need to be put on a charger. My dealer added the wiring harness when I bought the truck.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:53 PM
Size Matters

Originally Posted by KatTruck
Thanks for the link. I will look into it.

Is there a specific reasons why I would need the plow prep package or switch the transfer case?

Maybe I don't understand the purpose of it, and thus don't understand the need for it.

Had a mount and plow put onto my Jeep Wrangler (for home use), and that worked without issue for a few years. Of course, I only plowed 2 driveways for a few years, but there was no need for anything beyond a plow + plow mount + plow wiring harness.

Couldn't the same be done on the Lariat? (Install a plow + plow mount + plow wiring harness) and be good to go?

I never said you HAD install the Snow Plow Prep Package or change the transfer case. I was merely pointing out the differences between an F150 with vs without the Snow Plow Prep Package. Proceed as you see fit.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:59 PM
Size Matters

Originally Posted by Maine-iac
I plow my driveway here in Maine with my F150. I do not use the snow plow switch because I don't have anything that it would shut-off. I have a Fisher 7.5' and the factory tires and just add about 400# when I'm plowing. The truck does a fine job with every storm we've had, and some of them have been over 12". Put the truck in 4H and use your head. If you have a electric pump, which most of them are, just keep your eye on the battery charge. After a long day it might need to be put on a charger. My dealer added the wiring harness when I bought the truck.
I thought a 301A had fog lamps
Old 11-26-2017, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Maine-iac
Thanks for the info.

I never said you HAD install the Snow Plow Prep Package or change the transfer case. I was merely pointing out the differences between an F150 with vs without the Snow Plow Prep Package. Proceed as you see fit.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Will look through that link and attachments.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

Do what many others in small business lots do.

Buy a beater f250 or 350 and put on a used blade setup.

Keep the vehicle on the lot permanently......no insurance, no tags, minimal maint., just plug in a battery tender.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought a 301A had fog lamps

You are right... but the snow plow wiring takes care of that. When the plow is connected to the truck the fog lamps will not come on.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:45 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbuzzard
Do what many others in small business lots do.

Buy a beater f250 or 350 and put on a used blade setup.

Keep the vehicle on the lot permanently......no insurance, no tags, minimal maint., just plug in a battery tender.
Exactly. If it remains on the property, you don't have to do basically anything to it. If it's dedicated to the facility, your general liability would cover any damage the vehicle might do to something else.

I would actually look for something with a gas motor... the 6.8 V10 is basically bulletproof, much less to fail than any of the PSDs, and you don't really care about gas mileage anyway. Slap a quality battery tender on it, maybe consider adding a second battery just to help with the electrical load of the plow, and call it good. Keep your F150 as your daily driver.