Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Playing MP4's from Thumbdrive

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 11:08 AM
Ambassador of Aloha

Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts

Default Playing MP4's from Thumbdrive

So, I've done some searching around the forums here and can't seem to find solid answers about playing MP4s in the latest version of Sync. Is anyone able to play MP4's from a thumbdrive inserted in a USB port of their truck? What is your process? Do you use a PeeCee, or Mac? How is your thumbdrive formatted? Do you have a certain folder/file structure set up, or, are all music files just dumped into the drive? Is it a dedicated music-only drive (no pictures, docs, etc.)?

My first attempt wasn't successful. Sync showed me a message along the lines of "copyrighted contented", but I don't believe these files were protected (MP4's). But, I did have various files on it, like images, docs, etc. and a mix of MP3's and 4's. I'm going to try again tonight/tomorrow by starting only with MP3's in a dedicated music-only thumbdrive, then add MP4's, then add a folder structure to see if it works.

Can anyone else share their experience? Thanks!
Old 01-19-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I haven't tried MP4 files. I formatted the drive as FAT32 and converted all my high quality files to WMA lossless 24 bit and it works great. Those that were already MP3 were not changed.
The following 2 users liked this post by countrysquire:
SURF150 (01-19-2015), Texrep (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 11:53 AM
Ambassador of Aloha

Originally Posted by countrysquire
I haven't tried MP4 files. I formatted the drive as FAT32 and converted all my high quality files to WMA lossless 24 bit and it works great. Those that were already MP3 were not changed.
Thanks for the reply. Can I assume you're using a Windows machine? I realize that Sync is a Microsoft product, and so it makes sense for them to soft arm-twist users to move their files to WMA format and FAT32. Most of my music is in MP4 format and I'm hoping that I won't have to convert to MP3 and FAT32.

Any Mac users out there?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Yes, Windows and I had to convert everything from flac to WMA lossless. Lot's of fun...
Old 01-19-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by SURF150
Thanks for the reply. Can I assume you're using a Windows machine? I realize that Sync is a Microsoft product, and so it makes sense for them to soft arm-twist users to move their files to WMA format and FAT32. Most of my music is in MP4 format and I'm hoping that I won't have to convert to MP3 and FAT32.

Any Mac users out there?
Can't ITunes convert from .m4a to .mp3? If so, that would probably solve your problems. Probably not going to sound as good once you convert as .mp3 is not a lossless format like .m4a but it should work (and if you use a higher bitrate you might not notice the difference).
Old 01-19-2015, 01:08 PM
Ambassador of Aloha

Originally Posted by 11screw50
Can't ITunes convert from .m4a to .mp3? If so, that would probably solve your problems. Probably not going to sound as good once you convert as .mp3 is not a lossless format like .m4a but it should work (and if you use a higher bitrate you might not notice the difference).
Thanks. You're probably right; I haven't done much iTunes'ing in while but it likely could. I suppose I'm holding out/being lazy and not wanting to have duplicates of my music just for Sync purposes. Really, I tend to stream Spotify over Bluetooth most often but figured since I have a rather large music library that I own, I might put a little effort into creating a 4 GB thumbdrive of music that contains my all time faves for road trips etc, especially when in areas where connectivity is sparse. Still hopeful ...
Old 01-19-2015, 01:19 PM

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

I would imagine if my Sync with Nav can do MP4 your MFT in the 15's can... Make sure your usb stick is formatted to fat32 and load it up and try it. That's what I did... I was impressed that the older unit could handle it.

Also, performance depends on the USB stick... I get no flutters from an AdataUSB3.0 stick I got from amazon but tons of flutters on a new corsair usb2.0 stick
The following users liked this post:
SURF150 (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 01:28 PM
LONG TIME FORD GUY

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by jchargu3
I would imagine if my Sync with Nav can do MP4 your MFT in the 15's can... Make sure your usb stick is formatted to fat32 and load it up and try it. That's what I did... I was impressed that the older unit could handle it.

Also, performance depends on the USB stick... I get no flutters from an AdataUSB3.0 stick I got from amazon but tons of flutters on a new corsair usb2.0 stick

Flutters... from a stick
Old 01-19-2015, 02:55 PM

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Texrep
Flutters... from a stick
yep... My dads 09 F350 has had that issue and my '12 King Ranch has that issue... The throughput of the chip used in the stick isn't good enough for the constant reading. It doesn't seem like it buffers the song at all but reads it bit by bit so it's CONSTANTLY reading (note, get a thumb drive with no light! if you use the visible USB ports). The expensive corsair drive I had would pause, skip, flutter the song like a scratched cd.

Cheap Adata 16gb usb3.0 drive worked flawless for all my Christmas tunes.

I'm thinking you'll have the same hit or miss with your '15's.
The following 2 users liked this post by jchargu3:
SURF150 (01-19-2015), Texrep (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 03:02 PM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

I have a Mac and I just use the USB cable plugged into my phone for all of my audio. No converting, no extra cable and I have no issue with the sound quality. And it charges my phone.

I get the ease of use from having a flash drive with a lot of music on it and just leaving it plugged in but I'm not willing to go through the hassle since my alternative is so much easier.

Quick Reply: Playing MP4's from Thumbdrive