Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plasti Dip for undercoating???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Plasti Dip for undercoating???

I will be picking my new truck up next week and wondered if anyone has tried Plasti Dip as an undercoating? I have watched numerous videos on YouTube of Plasti Dip on car bodies and it seems to be a pretty durable product that lasts well and is fairly resistant to scratches and peeling, so I would think it could protect the underbody. My question is, has anybody tried it?

Old 04-10-2015, 06:27 PM
T_R

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

It's made to peel off. That is not a quality you want in an undercoating.

I've had good results with 3M's product, but it is expensive.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would say no also. Plasti Dip is made to be removed. It is not supposed to be a permanent coating. Most people spray Pasti Dip then removed the unwanted dip with a razor blade and tooth pick. I would want something that cannot be removed with those tools.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

This is a bad idea. A liquid formula like Krown is best. It coats the metal and it won't crack and trap water.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:24 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Definetly no, plasti dip is designed to peel off. Even when used on emblems and wheels etc, over time it tends to lift around edges, water will eventually become trapped between the dip and your undercarriage.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:25 PM
T_R

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by RevX
This is a bad idea. A liquid formula like Krown is best. It coats the metal and it won't crack and trap water.
I think that's a Canadian thing.

In the US we have Fluid Film. Same sort of product. It's like a waxy oily coating.

I'm probably going to paint everything under mine on the frame with either chassis saver or POR15. Then 3M undercoat on the rear wheel wells for rock protection and fluid film over the paint on the frame every year. It's messy but it really works.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:34 PM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

amsoil mhdp is what i used on my raptor and held up good
Old 04-10-2015, 08:37 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by T_R
I think that's a Canadian thing.

In the US we have Fluid Film. Same sort of product. It's like a waxy oily coating.

I'm probably going to paint everything under mine on the frame with either chassis saver or POR15. Then 3M undercoat on the rear wheel wells for rock protection and fluid film over the paint on the frame every year. It's messy but it really works.
They don't have anything like that in the US? I have used it on all new cars and they look like new eight years later. I bought a three year old f-150 a year ago and it had never been coated. After four years it is covered in rust. Lots of salt up here in winters. I'm having the dealer spray mine before delivery. The nice thing is that they don't have to do anything aluminum. Just the frame etc.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I plasti-dipped my rear wheel wells... Will it hold up, only time will tell.
I can say that my last Ranger had the rims, grille, front bumper, rear bumper, emblems, and antennae "dipped". It held up almost perfect for 4 years (there were a few little chips in the front bumper). I even got rear ended (push the rear bumper into the bed to the point the tailgate wouldnt open) and the plasti-dip didnt scratch.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:18 AM

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by T_R
I'm probably going to paint everything under mine on the frame with ... POR15.
Never used the stuff, but from what I've read this is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Plasti Dip for undercoating???