Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perfect Truck Rear Ended, Thinking it's Totaled.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 07:55 AM

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Perfect Truck Rear Ended, Thinking it's Totaled.

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster. I've had my '17 XLT 302A for almost two years now. This vehicle was everything I needed out of a truck, nothing too fancy but has the guts to get everything done. It's my daily driver and would load it down almost every weekend for trips up to northern Michigan and towing Jeeps. Unfortunately, last Friday I was rear ended at a stop light. The Ram 2500 work van didn't see the light (probably distracted) and hit me at about 40-45 MPH. Launched the rear of the truck up into the air, through the intersection and up into a driveway.

For the experienced, or those unfortunate to have been through something similar, would you wager that it's repairable or totaled? Bed/tailgate are toast, one of the tires is damaged, rear of the cab is dented up, back window smashed, driver's seat collapsed (no airbags deployed), and the frame and bumper have curled up under itself back to the spring perch. I'll attached some pictures if I'm able to, new poster and all.

Drivers side wheel well looking rearwards

Passenger side wheel well looking rearwards

Thanks all and happy Father's Day.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:04 AM

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Man, that really stinks. You didn’t mention, but I’m assuming everyone is ok, which is the most important thing. I’m no expert, but it looks like a lot of damage and there is probably a new truck in your future. With this much damage, I’m not sure I’d want it back anyway.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jfkmk
Man, that really stinks. You didn’t mention, but I’m assuming everyone is ok, which is the most important thing. I’m no expert, but it looks like a lot of damage and there is probably a new truck in your future. With this much damage, I’m not sure I’d want it back anyway.
You're right, I should have mentioned it was only me in the truck and I'm alive! Truck did it's job and even called 911 for me.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:04 AM

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I just went through something similar but they are attempting to "fix" my truck. They had to order a new frame which took several weeks to get in and then work from the ground up to complete the work on the truck. My estimate was approx $20,000 for the fix. I have been in a rental for a month now and they still estimate 2-3 more weeks. Mine was a 2018, so the repair to value was only around 50-60% which is why it was not totaled. Hopefully yours gets totaled out. It is easier to shop for a new on than to deal with it being in the shop for 2 months. It is amazing how well these trucks do their job of keeping the passengers safe. I was also pleasantly surprised when it called 911 for me and turned on the hazard lights.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:28 AM

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

At that speed of a hit, one would think more damage. Good strong truck. Any pictures of the other vehicle that hit you?
Good to read all OK, except your broken heart that your nice truck is all bent up.
The following users liked this post:
RX1Cobra (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 09:28 AM

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

I think they will total it. That being said, is it repairable? Yes. And someone most likely will. But it’ll likely be after the insurance company buys it and sends it to the salvage auction. Keep us updated. Glad you’re ok.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:34 AM

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts

I’d say totaled, glad your ok. Don’t be surprised if your neck gets a little stiff.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:53 AM

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

What have noticed is the value insurance says your truck is worth. But go to trade they never offer that.

Now I hit a animal in a Avalanche at 70. Myself and occupant really never felt a thing except air bags going off.
honestly felt just like ran over something in the road. What a great truck build. That truck sent the animal off to
other side of the road somewhere, LOL LOL. Anyway front end gone. Back than estimated 20K in damage, course the
bill was padded and not all things on there needed to be repaired. (like the hood)(right fender) but charged for.
The repair came back great, truck drove like did before but I traded anyway.

I say animal, never say it, DPS said was a cow. and chit was on what left of the front, was 1am, so dark
Old 06-16-2019, 10:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is mine back in 2016 it was totaled. Drunk driver hit me, I was at a red light.. ended up being totaled
Attached Thumbnails Perfect Truck Rear Ended, Thinking it's Totaled.-photo160.jpg   Perfect Truck Rear Ended, Thinking it's Totaled.-photo671.jpg  

Last edited by 2007_fx2; 06-16-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2007_fx2
This is mine back in 2016 it was totaled. Drunk driver hit me, I was at a red light.. ended up being totaled
Wow that driver hit you hard! Glad you're okay. Hope the drunk driver got what was coming to him.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Hope to hear back from my adjuster early this week. Optimistically, hope it's totaled out and insurance handles the rest of it. Found a very similar truck sitting at my dealer's lot

Quick Reply: Perfect Truck Rear Ended, Thinking it's Totaled.