Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting OEM Grill Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 04:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Painting OEM Grill Questions

First off, Great forum guys! Just joined a few days ago and, all in all, it seems like a great community.

I will be ordering my 2017 F150 Lariat Sport within the next month or so. Love everything about it except one minor thing. You see, I currently have an '07 Expedition Limited which is color matched all around, even the grill. Not a big chrome guy and the off black front end is tolerable.

I saw a few pics where guys had their OEM grills painted to match the truck color and really like it. Looking at getting the three large horizontal bars painted and leaving the back thinner ones black. Here are my questions;

What was the rough cost to get that done? Did you remove the grill yourself or bring the whole truck in?

How does it look up close? From the pictures, all looks good, but, we all know our vehicles and pick up on things others simply overlook.

Does the grill serve as any support for the front? Another words, could I take the grill off, drop it off at the paint shop, and still have the ability to use the truck if need be?

Lastly, could guys post pics of their painted grills? I will be ordering the truck in the Ruby Red but would love to see the end results of anyone's!

Thanks all!

Chris
Old 03-17-2017, 11:13 AM
Just The Basic Facts

Received 1,019 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by SquadCompany13
1) What was the rough cost to get that done?

2) Did you remove the grill yourself or bring the whole truck in?

3) How does it look up close?

4) Does the grill serve as any support for the front? Another words, could I take the grill off, drop it off at the paint shop, and still have the ability to use the truck if need be?

5) Lastly, could guys post pics of their painted grills?
1) $150.00-$450.00 was the quoted prices from local body shops.

2) I purchased a grill, had it painted to replace the Chrome stock grille. The shop where mine was painted installed it.

3) I think it looks OK for what it is, wish it didn't have the ugly upper & lower strange looking out of place trim plastic.

4) I wouldn't drive around W/O grille-->

5) Pics

The following users liked this post:
SquadCompany13 (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

SquadCompany - I hear you on the painting of the grille. I too have a RR Lariat, and what I have been told will be on the higher end cost as the RR paint is a bit more especially if you want it to blend well. Hence why I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 645 Likes on 352 Posts

You can remove the grille shell (the part that gets painted) and put the grille module/louvers back on while you have it painted. That's what I did. You will get a few looks as people will wonder what the hells wrong with your truck, but it completely fine, everything still works as normal.
Attached Thumbnails Painting OEM Grill Questions-img_7830.jpg   Painting OEM Grill Questions-img_7836.jpg