Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 02:29 PM

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Oil Change Question

Changed my oil last week. Changed it to MC full synthetic 5-30 for my 2.7. Drained out 6 quarts and put 6 back in ( poured the used oil back in the bottles to recycle at the autoparts store). I know i drained it at least 30 minutes while the drain plug was out and was fooling with the oil filter o-rings.

Just checked it and its about 1/2 quart high after sitting over a day.

Should I be concerned?
Old 03-17-2019, 02:38 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

When you put the used oil back into the bottles, was it a full 6 qts worth of used oil or was it less?
Old 03-17-2019, 03:22 PM

It was a full 6 quarts to the best I remember. It certainly wasn't 5.5.
I'm wondering if I should drain a little out to bring it down to the top hash on the dipstick.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:52 PM

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts

Was the engine warmed up when you drained the oil? Warm oil drains better.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:55 PM

Received 336 Likes on 218 Posts

I always have a hard time telling if I drained a full 6 quarts. From the mess I always make it can be hard. Out of curiosity if you were a half quart too much would it be extremely harmful to the engine until the next change?
Old 03-17-2019, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by flynavy812
I always have a hard time telling if I drained a full 6 quarts. From the mess I always make it can be hard. Out of curiosity if you were a half quart too much would it be extremely harmful to the engine until the next change?
That's what I would like to know. Do I need to drain out a half quart or so or can it ride until my next oil change?
Yes the engine was warm and didn't spill any. The truck wasn't on any ramps or anything. All of it drained into a large bucket type drain pan then transferred to the empties. I know the oil had about 30 minutes to drain from the pan while i was messing with the filter o-rings.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:07 PM

Received 855 Likes on 373 Posts

If I drained 6 and put 6 back in I’d leave it be. There is no magic area where oil will hide inside the engine. “At least 30 minutes” tells me you got it all. Drive on. Make note of where the oil is currently on the stick. My guess is next time you change it, it’ll be there too.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:12 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

How long did you wait after stopping the engine before checking the level? I believe you have to wait 15-30 minutes.

From manual for 2.7L engine:

ENGINE OIL CHECK - GASOLINE To check the engine oil level consistently and accurately, do the following: 1. Make sure the parking brake is on. Make sure the transmission is in park (P) or neutral (N). 2. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature. 3. Make sure that your vehicle is on level ground. 4. Switch the engine off and wait 15 minutes for the oil to drain into the oil pan. Checking the engine oil level too soon after you switch the engine off may result in an inaccurate reading.

Last edited by BCMIF150; 03-17-2019 at 06:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RubyRedX3 (11-11-2021)
Old 03-17-2019, 06:20 PM

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by PHolder
Changed my oil last week. Changed it to MC full synthetic 5-30 for my 2.7. Drained out 6 quarts and put 6 back in ( poured the used oil back in the bottles to recycle at the autoparts store). I know i drained it at least 30 minutes while the drain plug was out and was fooling with the oil filter o-rings.

Just checked it and its about 1/2 quart high after sitting over a day.

Should I be concerned?
I believe the correct procedure for checking oil level it to let the engine run, turn it off, let it sit for 5 minutes and then check the level. If you let it sit all day (check it cold), it had all that time for every little bit of oil coating the components drain back into the pan and it may read high.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:31 PM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

Try checking the oil after the engine is warmed up and sitting for 15 minutes after shut down. 15 minutes only.

ENGINE OIL CHECK

To check the engine oil level consistently and accurately, do the following:
  1. Make sure the parking brake is on. Make sure the transmission is in park (P) or neutral (N).
  1. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
  1. Make sure that your vehicle is on level ground.
  1. Switch the engine off and wait 15 minutes for the oil to drain into the oil pan.Checking the engine oil level too soon after you switch the engine off may result in an inaccurate reading.
  1. Open the hood. See Opening and Closing the Hood.
  1. Remove the dipstick and wipe it with a clean, lint-free cloth.See Under Hood Overview.
  1. Reinstall the dipstick and remove it again to check the oil level. See Engine Oil Dipstick.
it's really tough to get the oil level in my 5.0 to read consistently. I've learned to drain the oil a good long time, then put in 7.5 qts. And don't worry about it for a couple of weeks.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Question