Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official 3.3L V6 Workhorse Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool The Official 3.3L V6 Workhorse Thread

Maybe it's my years on a farm, maybe it's my appreciation for simplicity and efficiency, but I have come to the conclusion that a 3.3 v6 with the 3.73 rear end 2WD truck is my configuration of choice. Yet everywhere I look online, I don't see any feedback on this powertrain combination. It's like everyone dismisses it without a second thought. Can anyone that has one confirm or disprove my reasoning below:
1. Engine reliability should be great. Engine has dual injection and no turbos. With the 3.73 rear end it should rev easily and not be very stressed. I love the concept of the 2.7, but it worries me that it will start leaking oil like a sieve after many years with the aluminum and iron construction and all the sealing points. Plus given the 3.3 is the fleet workhorse engine, I don't imagine Ford would risk a weak design and damage their brand reputation with the "working" crowd.
2. Proven transmission. My current 2010 5.4 has the 6 speed and I think it is a great transmission. They seem to not have any issues with maintenance and I believe they are considered bulletproof. Maybe they did the same great job on the 10 speed... but there is a risk right?
3. Great fuel economy... I could see this engine giving consistent low fuel consumption. I know the 2.7 should be better... but sometimes having those turbos means you make use of them and then mileage will vary greatly. Plus that 2.7 worries me that it will start leaking oil like a sieve after many years with the aluminum and iron construction and all the sealing points.
4. Maintenance is less with no turbos to require more frequent oil changes and you can run a cleaner through the intake in case there is still any carbon build up down the road.
5. Weight should be that much lower with the small engine up front making any configuration closer to a 50/50 weight split than with a bigger engine.
6. I am one of those crazy lovers of just RWD. The F150s now are that much more balanced with weight front and rear and having the available E locker means you don't have to really worry about getting stuck. I know I have never even come close to stuck with my 2010 with a Truetrac rear diff. Plus with the lower weight and less drivetrain losses, this should help the 3.3 feel even more sporty.

Thoughts anyone?
The following 6 users liked this post by RacerRoo:
ebm99 (11-15-2023), Greynite (12-05-2019), Mickey Yelachich (04-25-2021), Sally Hillal (01-05-2021), TomSmith (09-30-2019), Twin snail putput (10-24-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

12-14-2017, 06:21 PM
GreenandGold831

Received 219 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Lebowskii
You're joking, right? Do you own one? Then why would you make an idiotic comment like that? It has 290 hp and can haul and tow just fine. The 6 speed transmission works great too. Is a 10 speed automatic really necessary? Of course not. I had a 2012 with the Eco and the turbos went out at 160k so I would never waste good money on another one. Just because the 3.3 comes with the base model XL doesn't mean it can't do anything the other engines can. I can haul more cubic yards of mulch and other items in my truck than any of you guys can with your short beds which is why I bought it. It tows great too and will cruise down the freeway just fine at 80 mph. Your "farm duty" comment is one of the most stupid statements I've read anywhere on the internet in a long time....
Someone touched a nerve

No need to get so defensive about your purchase, you don't need to justify it to us.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 339 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerRoo
Maybe it's my years on a farm, maybe it's my appreciation for simplicity and efficiency, but I have come to the conclusion that a 3.3 v6 with the 3.73 rear end 2WD truck is my configuration of choice. Yet everywhere I look online, I don't see any feedback on this powertrain combination. It's like everyone dismisses it without a second thought. Can anyone that has one confirm or disprove my reasoning below:
1. Engine reliability should be great. Engine has dual injection and no turbos. With the 3.73 rear end it should rev easily and not be very stressed. I love the concept of the 2.7, but it worries me that it will start leaking oil like a sieve after many years with the aluminum and iron construction and all the sealing points. Plus given the 3.3 is the fleet workhorse engine, I don't imagine Ford would risk a weak design and damage their brand reputation with the "working" crowd.
2. Proven transmission. My current 2010 5.4 has the 6 speed and I think it is a great transmission. They seem to not have any issues with maintenance and I believe they are considered bulletproof. Maybe they did the same great job on the 10 speed... but there is a risk right?
3. Great fuel economy... I could see this engine giving consistent low fuel consumption. I know the 2.7 should be better... but sometimes having those turbos means you make use of them and then mileage will vary greatly. Plus that 2.7 worries me that it will start leaking oil like a sieve after many years with the aluminum and iron construction and all the sealing points.
4. Maintenance is less with no turbos to require more frequent oil changes and you can run a cleaner through the intake in case there is still any carbon build up down the road.
5. Weight should be that much lower with the small engine up front making any configuration closer to a 50/50 weight split than with a bigger engine.
6. I am one of those crazy lovers of just RWD. The F150s now are that much more balanced with weight front and rear and having the available E locker means you don't have to really worry about getting stuck. I know I have never even come close to stuck with my 2010 with a Truetrac rear diff. Plus with the lower weight and less drivetrain losses, this should help the 3.3 feel even more sporty.

Thoughts anyone?
If all you need is a basic truck then go for it. Even if I were to buy a basic truck I’d still get 3 things:

1. Most powerful engine offered
2. 4x4
4. Max towing package

That setup makes the truck useful for anything you could possibly need.
The following 3 users liked this post by 2015F150Platinum4x4:
bisjoe (01-26-2018), Gigel (10-19-2019), tdog02 (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts

Do whatever you want that makes you happy... That's why Ford allows us to configure our own..... If it was mine, I'd go for the most powerful engine.... Oh wait, I did...
Old 12-14-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

For farm duty I think that you have a winning combination. I like the XL trucks from Ford and I like the N/A V-6 as well. The new 3.3 should be a workhorse of an engine, and I agree the 6 speed trans is bullet proof. I would still want a tow package on it but a regular cab 2wd would meet just about every need on the farm.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tdog02
For farm duty I think that you have a winning combination.
You're joking, right? Do you own one? Then why would you make an idiotic comment like that? It has 290 hp and can haul and tow just fine. The 6 speed transmission works great too. Is a 10 speed automatic really necessary? Of course not. I had a 2012 with the Eco and the turbos went out at 160k so I would never waste good money on another one. Just because the 3.3 comes with the base model XL doesn't mean it can't do anything the other engines can. I can haul more cubic yards of mulch and other items in my truck than any of you guys can with your short beds which is why I bought it. It tows great too and will cruise down the freeway just fine at 80 mph. Your "farm duty" comment is one of the most stupid statements I've read anywhere on the internet in a long time....
The following 4 users liked this post by Lebowskii:
20derek18 (04-21-2021), angelo7 (05-08-2019), msgtord (10-25-2020), szym (07-07-2019)
Old 12-14-2017, 06:14 PM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

he probably mentioned farm duty, because the OP mentioned spending many years on a farm? never really said what he wanted to use the truck for. Probably just assumed it was for working on a farm.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts

The bigger engine can do much more.... And the 10speed is far more better. For a farm to beat up on it does fine, but so will a 30 year old S10 with a 2.5 Iron duke... Lol.... What I think is meant, that the base engine is far more capable then only "farm duty"

Last edited by Thugzy; 12-14-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 219 Likes on 142 Posts

Someone touched a nerve

No need to get so defensive about your purchase, you don't need to justify it to us.
The following 12 users liked this post by GreenandGold831:
bryan_c (05-15-2021), funnyman06 (12-15-2017), iFord (01-24-2020), irianjim (04-12-2018), janr (03-05-2018), legendarybc (07-07-2019), RL1990 (01-25-2018), RLCJC2020 (11-23-2022), ScottGreer (01-25-2020), Snowfan (04-22-2021), Twin snail putput (10-24-2020), UncleG (03-06-2018) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-14-2017, 06:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I recognize the advantage of go big or go home, but I feel people miss out on the advantages of getting what you need 95% of the time. I am not looking to get a new truck yet, just doing my research as I am at a point where I know I can’t go back to a car ever and if the price of gas keeps climbing, one day it will make sense to get a newer truck for those savings alone.

I need a crew crew cab to haul my family around and for the times I need to take my dirt bike with me or overload the bed with hardwood I don’t think 300+ hp are necessary. Most times we are not working our trucks hard and sometimes when we do, we just have to keep in mind slowing down and driving smooth and gentle is all we need to do and the truck will manage fine. Somehow my dads reg cab 1994 Ram RWD with the 175hp 3.9l V6 managed to pull trailers with cows in them, and full beds of hardwood with no failures for the 16 years he had it. Admittingly it was too slow a truck, but it kind of showed me that you can work with what you have most times.

I would just like to hear from any 3.3 owners and if they find them lacking at all. if you drive a different 2018 engine and tried the 3.3 but didn’t like it, please give me your feedback. I don’t need to hear how you went straight to the 3.5 ecoboost with 4wd and a lift kit as I would actually prefer driving a modestly optioned RWD XLT with smaller 17” wheels and tires any day.

I feel there here must be more guys out there like me that have trucks for their space/comfort, reliability and ease of working on, and at the same time they try to maximize their “economy”.
The following 4 users liked this post by RacerRoo:
bryan_c (05-15-2021), GrasslandHVAC (11-10-2019), iFord (01-24-2020), TomSmith (09-30-2019)
Old 12-14-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 151 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm just going to comment on your last point. 2wd is the way to go in my opinion. After owning a few 4x4 trucks, I now enjoy the classic 2wd look and feel.
Plus, I've never actually HAD to use my 4wd, doesn't snow where I live
The following 2 users liked this post by svenny:
bryan_c (05-15-2021), F150Dan (10-29-2019)

Quick Reply: The Official 3.3L V6 Workhorse Thread