Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Headlight Condensation

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 07:46 PM

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
Default OEM Headlight Condensation

About 3 months ago I put in LED bulbs on my 2018 XLT SCREW non led Headlights. All was fine up till about a week ago. Condensation started to appear. I bought a larger dust cover and cleared the condensation. Same day condensation. Cleared it again and then condensation came back.

i can’t figure it out. Any ideas? Looks to me all is sealed and not rain that would be causing it.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:48 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine have condensation and I haven't touched them. Is that not normal?
Old 02-07-2019, 07:24 AM

The owners manual says that it is but seems like mine is extreme. I was hoping someone found a solution. I went on a long drive yesterday and ran my high beams which are halogen to heat the housing and hopefully aid evaporation. It kind of went away but this morning it’s back again in force.

I know the seals are in good and I have the extended ones on so my assumption is I drive to short of drives each day to completely remove the condensation and now it’s in a very unattractive cycle.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:42 AM

Passenger side.

Driver side.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:00 AM

Received 493 Likes on 235 Posts

I would try to have those warrantied.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:19 AM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Ford's policy says that condensation is normal up until the point that you see the trails where the water is running down. The above image appears to have those trails and should be warrantable.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:26 AM

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SportF150
The owners manual says that it is but seems like mine is extreme. I was hoping someone found a solution. I went on a long drive yesterday and ran my high beams which are halogen to heat the housing and hopefully aid evaporation. It kind of went away but this morning it’s back again in force.

I know the seals are in good and I have the extended ones on so my assumption is I drive to short of drives each day to completely remove the condensation and now it’s in a very unattractive cycle.
Just to be sure, when you're heating your headlights up with the high beams, are you doing it with the dust covers off? It seems you would need to do that to allow the humid air to escape. I would try to pull the dust covers, heat them up with either the high beams or a blow dryer really well, and then put the covers back on while it's still good and hot. If that humid Florida air just goes right back in there before you put your covers on, you'd probably end up with condensation.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:32 AM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by KP Texan
Just to be sure, when you're heating your headlights up with the high beams, are you doing it with the dust covers off? It seems you would need to do that to allow the humid air to escape. I would try to pull the dust covers, heat them up with either the high beams or a blow dryer really well, and then put the covers back on while it's still good and hot. If that humid Florida air just goes right back in there before you put your covers on, you'd probably end up with condensation.
These headlights are vented, which is also why some level of condensation is considered normal. Removing the dust covers to "burn off" the moisture is not necessary.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:48 AM

Received 563 Likes on 402 Posts

Throw a bag of desiccant in the dust cover.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:01 AM

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Franklin
These headlights are vented, which is also why some level of condensation is considered normal. Removing the dust covers to "burn off" the moisture is not necessary.
Yep, you're right. Looks like they should vent themselves once they get heated enough, assuming there was a normal amount of condensation to begin with. I still can't help but to think this is related to the LED bulb install, since search results for excessive condensation often times pull up threads where people have installed LED bulbs (especially in cases where the dust covers aren't re-seated properly).

Quick Reply: OEM Headlight Condensation