Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Occasional sound from under the truck while sitting in the garage

Old 07-06-2018, 02:18 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Occasional sound from under the truck while sitting in the garage

2018 F150 with 10k km. After sitting in the garage for several days, i heard a "electric motor" type of sound a few times in the past, Heard it make that sound twice in a row today (hasn't been driven in days). First thing i thought of is that the electric running board/s motor is running or at least trying to run for some silly reason but didn't see either one fold out. Called the dealer to ask if they had run into this sort of thing before. They haven't. No use taking it in unless it's making that sound, which isnt really all that often. At least while i'm within hearing range. Has anybody noticed this sort of sound on your Truck?
Old 07-06-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 436 Likes on 342 Posts

I heard some noises under the engine yesterday after more than hour after use. I bought it last week, so it's new too. I assume it's something related to the EVAP system (purging it). But days after use makes no sense. But maybe it's normal. Let's see if others reply. If you're not having excessive parasitic drain, all should be well. What I was surprised is even with the interior light switch off, the headlight switch in off too (not auto), and the key far away from the truck, if I open one door, the exterior lights (mirror, DRLs, tails) stay on forever. That's not right, but probably 'normal'.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:48 PM
Blunt

Received 1,073 Likes on 722 Posts

Never noticed any noises after the truck has been sitting for a few hours... And I often work on stuff and putter around near my truck... But...

Originally Posted by elptxjc
What I was surprised is even with the interior light switch off, the headlight switch in off too (not auto), and the key far away from the truck, if I open one door, the exterior lights (mirror, DRLs, tails) stay on forever. That's not right, but probably 'normal'.
THAT is not normal, although maybe they changed it for 2018? My parking lights turn off after a minute or two of having the doors open, and the interior lights go out after 5 minutes I think. But the bed lights above the rear window on either side of the center brake light seems to stay on forever as long as the door is open.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by elptxjc
I heard some noises under the engine yesterday after more than hour after use. I bought it last week, so it's new too. I assume it's something related to the EVAP system (purging it). But days after use makes no sense. But maybe it's normal. Let's see if others reply. If you're not having excessive parasitic drain, all should be well. What I was surprised is even with the interior light switch off, the headlight switch in off too (not auto), and the key far away from the truck, if I open one door, the exterior lights (mirror, DRLs, tails) stay on forever. That's not right, but probably 'normal'.
Scroll through the settings. Seems to me that the length of time the lights stay on is adjustable on mine
Old 07-07-2018, 04:05 AM

Received 436 Likes on 342 Posts

Well, was working on the truck just now, after not being used for over a day, and it started doing crazy noises below, near the tank, so I think it's the evap system. Also heard some noises further front. Similar to my ex Audi, but that car had air suspension; this one doesn't. Oh, and also heard electronic noises behind the rear seatbacks (I had them folded). I think it was the amp. Weird.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:16 AM

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts

This may relate to the noise mine makes. Unlock - open left rear door and it sounds like a actuater operating under it.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:21 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

This was my first thought. If you have the key less entry system, does this sound occur when you get near the truck with your keys? I haven't paid attention on the truck, but when I walk behind my wife's car in the garage with my keys, her trunk makes some sort of actuator sound. Her key has key less entry as well. Just a thought.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:47 PM

Received 1,086 Likes on 462 Posts

Just had a similar noise on my '15. Truck had been sitting in the sun for some time and has a full tank of gas, 36 gallon. Started it, cranked the AC and stepped outside the truck to let it cool off inside. Then I heard a tapping, electric motor flapping noise. Have never heard it before until now. Thought it was the AC but it stopped after a minute or less. Now that I think of it, I think it was the EVAP purge system; I have heard quite a few sound like that on other vehicles. Lots of gas and 100°+ heat creates a lot of fumes!
Old 07-08-2018, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by volvodoc
This may relate to the noise mine makes. Unlock - open left rear door and it sounds like a actuater operating under it.
I'll try that out later today. I will listen for a sound other than the folding running board actuator.

Originally Posted by LKN Cruiser
This was my first thought. If you have the key less entry system, does this sound occur when you get near the truck with your keys? I haven't paid attention on the truck, but when I walk behind my wife's car in the garage with my keys, her trunk makes some sort of actuator sound. Her key has key less entry as well. Just a thought.
I have keyless on my Platinum. Come to think of it, i never have the fob with me when i'm hearing that noise. I'm always working on something in the Garage at the time.

Originally Posted by Stadt
Just had a similar noise on my '15. Truck had been sitting in the sun for some time and has a full tank of gas, 36 gallon. Started it, cranked the AC and stepped outside the truck to let it cool off inside. Then I heard a tapping, electric motor flapping noise. Have never heard it before until now. Thought it was the AC but it stopped after a minute or less. Now that I think of it, I think it was the EVAP purge system; I have heard quite a few sound like that on other vehicles. Lots of gas and 100°+ heat creates a lot of fumes!
I will have to look for videos on youtube about purge system noises. No clue what they sound like. My vehicles don't sit out in the sun when i'm home and are always in the well insulated relatively cool garage.

Last edited by Beo-Chin; 07-08-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:15 AM

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine makes an electric actuator ‘clicky’ sound when I open the drivers door after it’s been sitting in park for some time.
You have to listen for it to notice.
The sound comes from underneath near the fuel tank area.
No idea what the sound is.

Have keyless entry 2018 502A

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Occasional sound from under the truck while sitting in the garage