Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-commissioned sales team

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 04:54 PM

Received 142 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Non-commissioned sales team

Can I believe that a dealership has a truly non-commissioned sales team? I've heard that some non-commissioned sales people get bonuses based on their sales which would seem to me to equate to about the same thing. I know I'm only supposed to believe nothing that I hear and half of what I see but I don't think a sales person is going to let me examine their pay stubs so I have to go with what I hear.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some dealers do have non-commissioned sales teams. meaning they get paid a salary and a flat fee when the sell something. The benefit to the customer is that the sales person is not getting a % of the profit, just a flat fee. So they don't care what the sale price is, as long as there is a sale.
The following users liked this post:
mikemtn (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 07:13 PM

Received 333 Likes on 214 Posts

All but two new vehicles bought over past decades have been purchased through a dealer's fleet sales manager or a staff management person, none of whom received a % commission. All purchases were made at invoice price, most were custom ordered. I avoid floor sales personnel because, with some notable exceptions, I prefer the expertise of mature, experienced dealer staff personnel who know their product, understand the sales process, and don't require tutoring/mentoring to avoid mistakes/waste time.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:37 PM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
All but two new vehicles bought over past decades have been purchased through a dealer's fleet sales manager or a staff management person, none of whom received a % commission. All purchases were made at invoice price, most were custom ordered. I avoid floor sales personnel because, with some notable exceptions, I prefer the expertise of mature, experienced dealer staff personnel who know their product, understand the sales process, and don't require tutoring/mentoring to avoid mistakes/waste time.

Hmmmmm.....fleet sales dude I inquired with regarding a transit cargo van was late, poorly dressed, and smelled of booze.

Actually felt sorry for him, which is why i wont identify the dealership
Old 05-15-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbuzzard
Hmmmmm.....fleet sales dude I inquired with regarding a transit cargo van was late, poorly dressed, and smelled of booze.

Actually felt sorry for him, which is why i wont identify the dealership
In the same vein, many of the dealerships I have dealt with, the "fleet sales" or "internet sales" guy was usually the salesperson that was on their way out the door because they sucked on the floor and it was their last best hope of staying employed.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:01 PM

Received 333 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Undercover Brother
In the same vein, many of the dealerships I have dealt with, the "fleet sales" or "internet sales" guy was usually the salesperson that was on their way out the door because they sucked on the floor and it was their last best hope of staying employed.

Relating to the 13 local dealers I'm familiar with, the 'internet sales' positions are subject to high personnel turnover & staffed with folks with minimal career experience. They basically function as initial dealer contact & screening points. To the contrary, 'fleet sales' personnel usually perform a lucrative income function for a dealership, especially in a major industrial city, and are staffed with career salaried individuals (vis-à-vis dealerships in remote, low population density areas where internet & fleet functions may be combined and staffed with mediocre personnel). Which folks a buyer selects to work with depends in large part to your approach to purchasing, i.e. do you want to haggle/negotiate & perhaps be subject to all sorts of 'house games' or do your homework on vehicle packages, options, etc. and simply make a pragmatic one-price, deep discount, handshake deal with no trauma.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:05 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

A buddy just bought a 17 F250 from a non commission dealer. His salesman averages 60 vehicles a month sold...had some plaque saying he's top 5 in the country. Told my buddy he gets salary plus a flat fee per car just didn't say how much.